Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening!

I've already taken the evoque in for this problem, which they updated the ECU for but the problem continues.

It's a TD4

Basically, sometimes the engine will lag (you can feel it on the motorway) and as soon as the happens the MPG figures absolutely fall through the floor.

I'm averaging 33mpg atm really economically driving, which is ridiculous against the claimed figures.

And I've noticed that whenever this 'engine lag' and 'uneconomical running' occurs, the Start/Stop function also stops working. When the car decides its going to run economically the Start/Stop also works fine.

Any ideas?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
e11smt said:
Evening!

Any ideas?

Cheers

Sounds like the symptoms of a DPF regeneration. Under certain circumstances, if you drive 'outside of the normal DPF regen parameters' then it will use diesel injected into the exhaust system/DPF to raise the DPF temperature to burn off the collected deposits.

Pretty sure on the lower BHP TD4 engine it would be more noticeable than on the SD4, but to be honest in 8k miles, I haven't yet noticed an active DPF regen happening, but I read somewhere (perhaps in the workshop manual on TOPIx) that it can happen as frequently as every 200 miles for a regen of one sort or another.

·
Registered
147 Posts
A couple of weeks back during my 70 mile weekly run to work I noticed the MPG drop from it's normal 45mpg to below 40mpg for about 20 miles, then it slowly climbed back up again. I assumed at the time this was an active regen taking place, only noticed it once and since then normal service has been resumed.

33mpg does seem awfully low for a TD4 though. My SD4 is averaging 42mpg over the first 3000 miles, albeit 95% of my driving has been on the clear A roads of the Highlands.

·
Super Moderator
2,489 Posts
For reference, a usual commute to work and back over a week with mixed driving conditions I can often exceed 42mpg.In the weather we've had since November, traffic is much more stop / start and the engine takes longer to reach ideal temp e.t.c. I'm luck to exceed 38mpg.

This is the first car that I have noticed that much difference based largely on the time of year, though it must be said the continuous poor weather is exceptional and I swear that where I live, people display the poorest ability in driving and maintaining a natural flow in the rain.
A hefty 1/2 ich of snow and we'll all be doomed for the duration.....but thats another story and I could rant about that!!

Edited by: kojak

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This 'regen' seems to happen quite a lot!And the difference it makes is ridiculous.

For example, a short journey back 3 miles last weekend I managed 57 mpg, the same journey the next day mustve been with some regen taking place as the exact same journey and driving style got about 35mpg!!!

It's my parents car, and I manage to get 45mpg+ out of my remapped 234bhp corsa vxr, with some eco and some booting it, which is much more than this 2.2 diesel -.- very disappointing.

Is it worth getting the DPF removed and the engine remapped?
Seen it possible for around £200

1 - 5 of 5 Posts