Evoque Owners Club banner

Battery?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  allybell 
#1 ·
Hi all, am in the process of looking for an Evoque to replace my Mini Countryman. A dealer sent me a video of one and when he was showing the interior, up popped the message 'low battery please start engine' and he commented its probably because it hasn't been driven for a few days.
Sorry if its a dull question, but I've never had a car flash that up when I haven't driven it for a while and when I've googled it, this problem seems to come up a lot. I'm reading about people charging them? Am finding this all a bit confusing. I've only driven Mini's for the last 15 years, and I've never had to do anything like this. The car is a 2017 TD4 SE Tech.

#2 ·
Yes very common especially if it's been stood on a forecourt, there's a awful lot of systems on an evoque that run in the background even when turned off but general use keeps the battery topped up, it's very common to get a 3 minute shut down warning if playing the radio without the engine running, playing with the opening tailgate while engine not running too is a sure fire way to flatten the battery, some posters here use a C TEK trickle charger but I never have, I just use the car

#3 ·
Hi all, am in the process of looking for an Evoque to replace my Mini Countryman. A dealer sent me a video of one and when he was showing the interior, up popped the message 'low battery please start engine' and he commented its probably because it hasn't been driven for a few days.
Sorry if its a dull question, but I've never had a car flash that up when I haven't driven it for a while and when I've googled it, this problem seems to come up a lot. I'm reading about people charging them? Am finding this all a bit confusing. I've only driven Mini's for the last 15 years, and I've never had to do anything like this. The car is a 2017 TD4 SE Tech.
I second everything Doink says - nothing to worry about.

#5 ·
We had the same when we got our MY16, dealer more or less flattened the battery in the showroom showing me the powered tailgate, days later after little use I was getting low battery warnings while tinkering without the engine running and radio on, kept on getting shutting down in 3 minutes please start engine, I found it strange you can't even listen to the radio without engine running but having joined this excellent forum it soon became apparent that's it's normal. Didn't use the car a lot at first so after a couple of days you could hear it was struggling to turn over but it never failed to start and it took a few months to move from that but once the Mrs got used to it then never had any problems apart from the 3 minute warning but that's hardwired into the car, it's just the car electrical system protecting itself

Sorry for rambling but just wanted to reassure you it's normal

Reactions: Allie007
#7 ·
Perfectly ok

#8 ·
Mine was similar with a persistent warning, the thing that stopped the was to disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes, this seemed to reset the warning and I've not had it since. I now have the CTEK charger just in case but that's more as a backup as the car doesn't really get to stretch its legs during the week.

Reactions: Allie007
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.