Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 5 door petrol Evoque with tech pack
It looks like we are going to need a new battery if a days recharging at the very good local independent garage does not solve the increasing low battery messages on starting and now turning off the ignition
The present battery came with the car and is an Exide
Garage quote of about £250 probably plus VAT and fitting which is a lot for a retired person !!
If anyone can suggest a good alternative that they have experience of it would be really appreciated
Many thanks

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
If you google .... Tayna batteries and press which model ... it then asks if you have stop start technology or not press the one that suits ... think they deliver next day should be under £100 if I remember correctly ... delivery might take longer at moment but some things are now arriving quicker ..

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Reactions: monet208

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Or enter reg number at top of link

·
Registered
Dynamic 3 door, 2013, SD4, santorini black with pimento and ebony
75 Posts
Tayna are excellent used them several times.
Just don’t assume the highest amp rating will give better starting. Starters pull about 250amp max so it is largely irrelevant if it says 700 amp or 1000 amp. As long as it is about what was fitted it will be fine.
I tend to go for a good make with a long guarantee.
PS check the actual size and terminals of your battery. there is the odd Tayna suggestion that is wrong on their website. Or cross check it with the Halfords website.

·
Registered
305 Posts
will any re programming need to be done if I change the battery myself

·
Registered
305 Posts
tayna has recommended two a fraction of the jlr price and over a 100 less than the garage I go to

·
Registered
MY2016 Evoque Autobiography 2.0L DIESEL 5 DOOR / L538
173 Posts
+1 for Tayna.
I got an Exide 110 AGM Battery 80Ah AGM800 EK800 for £99 (I think they had an offer on at the time).
Some say you need to get the battery monitor reprogrammed, but I never did and it works fine. You'll need to exercise the windows to reset the anti-trap settings.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
+1 for Tayna.
I got an Exide 110 AGM Battery 80Ah AGM800 EK800 for £99 (I think they had an offer on at the time).
Some say you need to get the battery monitor reprogrammed, but I never did and it works fine.
There seems to be a certain amount of confusion ( well I’m cinfused) some say fine to change the battery yourself some say it needs reprogramming... @PhilSkill, or if anyone could answer with , a degree of certainty 😃I’d like to know as it pops up alot

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
1,906 Posts
The recent JLR tech new member said the BMS must be reset, but people's experience doesn't back that up!?

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
That’s my point Hmm , do you think it’s a ploy so you buy your battery from JLR for £250 or pick one up for £120 and do it yourself ... my thoughts are if the battery went completely flat for some reason would you need to have it reset? I think it’s a question that needs a full answer definitively.

Reactions: Cr***

·
Registered
31 Posts
Halfords do a 115 AGM for £142 or £167 fitted. Looks like they may be able to reset the BMS if required when fitted. I've read that the halfords batteries are Yuasa brand underneath. Tayna are about £137 delivered for a similar battery so Halfrauds not too badly priced on this and a 5yr guarantee. @PETER R , @monet208 .

·
Super Moderator
2,471 Posts
Hi all, From a reset point of view, you should get it reset, but so many have done it without, it seems not too big a deal.

Cant believe mine is 9 years old now and still not given a single issue, but the lack of use and covid might sort that out soon!

Will I get mine reset... well i'll phone my local indie to see if they'll do it after I've changed it, if they want £50 or more I doubt i'll bother.

Reactions: DKZ5745

·
Registered
MY 18, 2..0 Diesel Ingenium Auto; Firenze Red
137 Posts
I was going to create a new thread about yesterdays' palaver, but it seems relevant to add it to here.

My 67 plate Diesel was as dead as a dodo yesterday when I went to use it in the morning. Couldn't unlock it or anything. Got LR assist round a couple of hours later - only 3v or so showing on the battery ! The car had last been used - for a decent run - about 9 days before with no low battery warnings so it had just.........given up. Technician diagnosed a dead cell in the battery. So this is a less than 3 year old Varta that he replaced under warranty. (2 months to go before that expires).

He did update the car software to confirm the change of battery, as part of the fix.

As an aside, I've used Tanya for other cars and have been very happy with their service & products.

Regards,
Richard

1 - 14 of 14 Posts