Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the forum so go easy on me guys and girls, ( probably not the best phrase if your of a certain age like me ).
Anyway, our lovely Black 2016 Auto Evoque has since 1st lockdown displayed Battery Low Start Engine, normally when switching off.
Vehicle has done 30,000 miles and a recent main dealer service. Main dealer advised that they have had the battery on charge, whilst the service was done, and should it happen again, replace the battery.

So, it regularly happened again, but always started as normal so i left it, until last week, when i got Halfords to come out and fit a new battery just in case.
It still does it??
Auto stop start has not worked for sometime either.
Tailgate wont lift when the error occurs.

Also earlier in the year i fitted a tracker by just plugging it into the 12 volt socket in the boot. Apart from that its all factory spec.

Is there a second battery? or what could it be?

Driving it on a 1.5 hour run does not cure it either.

Thank you in advance.

Jamie

Darkest Grays
Essex

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,615 Posts
Hi welcome to the forum.

Did Halfords reset the BMS (Battery Monitoring System)?

I would try unplugging the tracker while you troubleshoot.

I would also check the new battery is fully charged and healthy using a CTEK:

·
Registered
MY16 HSE Dynamic LUX, Volvo 850R
2,312 Posts
Almost certainly the tracker is draining your battery and these only have to drop half a volt and you'll start getting strange error messages, slow or inop tailgate is also a sign that the battery is low, ours was the same when we got it, I guessed it was on a forecourt for a while and from day one we had low battery warnings, what cured it was not playing the radio while the engine was not running and just general use but still even now it still shuts the radio down after 3 minutes if it's not running, opening and closing the tailgate constantly without the engine running is a big drain too, 4 or 5 goes and it already starts to struggle, if you've charged it, then had a new battery and been on good runs and it's still low then I think your tracker is draining the battery

Reactions: Geoffs125

·
Registered
MY2016 Evoque Autobiography 2.0L DIESEL 5 DOOR / L538
240 Posts
Have you fully charged the new battery ?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Has the new battery been fully charged up?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
You can say that again

Reactions: rawpilot

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I reckon the battery might not be fully charged 🤔

·
Registered
Dynamic 3 door, 2013, SD4, santorini black with pimento and ebony
329 Posts
Hi I would
Check exactly what battery Halfords have fitted. Mine had an 18 month old Halford battery that was by all tests OK. But it was lower capacity than most others including the one I replaced it with and I regularly got low battery warnings. Replaced it with a higher capacity one and all is good now.
The Halfords battery is doing fine on a friends motor home (same engine) but the Evoque seemed not to like it.
I think it is a bit of snobbery on the part of a Range Rover.

·
Registered
2017 2.0 TD4 HSE Dynamic Auto
28 Posts
Same problem here and the Auto /stop has never worked. Dealer wasn’t interested so purchased a CTEK although haven’t got round to it yet. Sorry to hijack but can I charge the battery in situ? , looks a pain to remove.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi I would
Check exactly what battery Halfords have fitted. Mine had an 18 month old Halford battery that was by all tests OK. But it was lower capacity than most others including the one I replaced it with and I regularly got low battery warnings. Replaced it with a higher capacity one and all is good now.
The Halfords battery is doing fine on a friends motor home (same engine) but the Evoque seemed not to like it.
I think it is a bit of snobbery on the part of a Range Rover.
Do you remember what battery you purchased and did it need reprogramming?

·
Registered
P300e MY2021 Nolita Edition, Seoul Pearl Silver, Nolita Grey roof, sliding sunroof, Cloud , towbar
29 Posts
Same problem here and the Auto /stop has never worked. Dealer wasn’t interested so purchased a CTEK although haven’t got round to it yet. Sorry to hijack but can I charge the battery in situ? , looks a pain to remove.
Yes, you can leave the battery connected. First connect the plus wire to the battery and then the minus to the chassis. Think the manual has a good picture of a recommended spot. Next connect the charger to the power

·
Registered
Dynamic 3 door, 2013, SD4, santorini black with pimento and ebony
329 Posts
Do you remember what battery you purchased and did it need reprogramming?
Hi, mine was a 110AGM from Tayna. Mine does not have stop start so I did not really need an AGM battery but for £20 thought it was worth he extra. If you put your number in their website it tells you what you need and you can check it against what you have.
Swapping it was ok. I think the recommended method was to remove the strut brace, 4 bolts and lift it out from the top.
I used a different method, I removed the air filter box. (One nut, two twist locks on the wing and it pulls out) then I unclipped the top plastic ring of the battery housing and the front section of he housing (4 clips).
I could then slide the battery forwards into the space where the air filter had been and take it out that way. It just seemed a bit easier to lift in and out from there but a bit more messing about with clips. Take your pick.😀
And no I didn’t have a BMS reset and everything is great.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, you can leave the battery connected. First connect the plus wire to the battery and then the minus to the chassis. Think the manual has a good picture of a recommended spot. Next connect the charger to the power
Anyone have a photo of the chassis point ? If it’s the opposite end will the negative crocodile clip reach ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi, mine was a 110AGM from Tayna. Mine does not have stop start so I did not really need an AGM battery but for £20 thought it was worth he extra. If you put your number in their website it tells you what you need and you can check it against what you have.
Swapping it was ok. I think the recommended method was to remove the strut brace, 4 bolts and lift it out from the top.
I used a different method, I removed the air filter box. (One nut, two twist locks on the wing and it pulls out) then I unclipped the top plastic ring of the battery housing and the front section of he housing (4 clips).
I could then slide the battery forwards into the space where the air filter had been and take it out that way. It just seemed a bit easier to lift in and out from there but a bit more messing about with clips. Take your pick.😀
And no I didn’t have a BMS reset and everything is great.
Thank you

·
Registered
P300e MY2021 Nolita Edition, Seoul Pearl Silver, Nolita Grey roof, sliding sunroof, Cloud , towbar
29 Posts
For me the cables are long enough, but i do not have a ctek charger

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,615 Posts
That diagram looks like the 'jump start' post? LR always state to remove the battery so I guess they won't show how to connect a charger?

For charging I use the bolt to the right of the battery - this photo by @restyler shows how he uses the same bolt for his permanent connection. I just use the croc clips.

I also have no problems charging in situ:

Reactions: Antaire
1 - 20 of 27 Posts