Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there.

Next day after purchase I noticed Low Battery Alert, so my thoughts were the car stuck for a longer time at dealer's yard and battery needs charging. Normal thing. After few nex days of driving, both urban and motorway distances the alert hasn't gone so i decided to charge the battery old fashioned way overnight outside the car. It helped only for 2 days. The alert returned. As I checked the battery is 12.4V (off load), 12.2V non dropping (ignition on, engine off, radio off). While car is runing it delivers 13.9-14.8V to the battery. So the alternator seems to work.
The Battery was also tested separately and discharge test returned normal parameters.

I have read many posts advising to drive the car on longer distance, charge battery overnight or replace the battery. Obviously it is not a right path.

Is there any way to adjust the reference voltage to not-so-smart-power management electronics to prevent seing this alert?

·
Registered
297 Posts
This is a built in timer in all Evoques (after about 3 minutes) that if the engine is Not running and charging the Main battery this message pops up to remind you to start the engine thus keeping the battery charge up.

It does not mean your main battery is 'US' (Un-Servicable).

No adjustments can be made.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
@Mike: I am aware of this, but don't get me wrong in my Evoque the warning pops up the same moment as I unlock the door :confused:. Battery is mint.

Add on: I can't have cabin lights, Headunit says it will be switched off in one minute, no adjustment, programed settings to seats cannot be applied, obviously no enter mode works. It is annoying. Basicaly I don't have any of convinience functions. But suprisingly Follow Home mode for headlights works :oops:.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Could it be the secondary battery is life expired. ?

·
Registered
2015 Dynamic Lux 2.2Sd4
2,996 Posts
Hi KrissKross, Sometimes mine stands for 4-5 day without moving the battery level is always low but has never failed to start, I don't do many miles either. The charging system on the Evoque (& other JLR vehicles is rubbish but seems to struggle on. I have bought a DBPOWER 600A 18000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter (Up to 6.5L Gas, 5.2L Diesel Engine) Emergency Battery Booster Pack with Dual USB Charging Outputs, LE. Which I keep in the boot just in case but up till now have not needed it. You may get some very strange warnings & symbols come up on you dash, it seems that a low battery can cause this to happen. Welcome to the wonderful world of JLR & the Evoque.
Having said all of that I still really like my Evoque, it is a great drive I just wish it would snow (about 2 feet would do to keep the muppets off the road) Hope you enjoy yours. (y) :):):)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys, I like Evoque. It drives like a charm. Mechanically, so far, it is spotless. The only thing making me uneasy is abnormal mpg (24 my wife, 20 me) and that unfortunate electric issue.
Talking about start-stop battery: In my car it basically does not exist. I took a look and there is a room for it next to main battery but there aren't even any lugs from car looming. Car is start-stop, it has switch to deactivate it (the LED is on, no warning about any start-stop malfunction). It never stopped engine (I am alright with this actually).

Is there any other possible location for start-stop battery rather than next to main?

@Bazz: it never failed to start

·
Registered
2015 Dynamic Lux 2.2Sd4
2,996 Posts
Mine will only eco stop/start if the battery is fully charged & then will fail quite soon after shorts runs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That might indicate battery fault. In this case after the crazy time we are experiencing i'll put it to proper 4 h discharge/load test at work and see whats good on ebay :).

Btw how is it possible I don't have any loom for aux battery?

Reactions: Slingshot2002

·
Registered
455 Posts
KrissKross, my wife has the exact same model and year as yours. Don't stress over your secondary battery, your model does not have one. Guess they upgraded the main battery instead

·
Registered
MY2017 2.0 HSE Dynamic Lux
331 Posts
My car was doing exactly the same and I had some very strange error messages with the tailgate - it would not close properly unless the engine was running. The 'low battery' warning was on the dash as soon as I switched on. Battery was measuring 11.2V at rest but 14.2V when running.so in my case the dealer replaced the battery and a week later everything is still ok.
I thought that the start/stop option HAS to have a secondary battery but having said that, I haven't found mine yet. :p

·
Registered
2015 Dynamic Lux 2.2Sd4
2,996 Posts
It would seem that with the Evoque (& probably all others now) that the battery is the main component & if for any reason this is even fractionally lower than max voltage it will throw up all sorts of bizarre faults/codes/messages. Very entertaining. NOT!! :mad:

·
Registered
MY2016 Evoque Autobiography 2.0L DIESEL 5 DOOR / L538
225 Posts
My 2016 Evoque did exactly the same KrissKross. The battery was tested at KwikFit on their machine. They said it was absolutely fine, yet I kept getting the battery low warning and the tailgate sometimes wouldn't power close.
Eventually I changed the battery and all is well. I think the battery monitoring system is way too sensitive to minor battery voltage changes.

I now use the old battery as a spare in the garage to power things like air compressors. It never leaks charge and is perfect as far as I'm concerned.

The best thing to come out of it all is that, for some reason, my stop/start never operates now :p(y)

(Mine also does not have the secondary battery)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@all: thank you guys for uplifting comments.
I checked the battery volts today morning with two multimeters and they both said 12.4V and obviously the warning showed up :mad:

Digging the evo documentation I have found Module-Battery monitoring system (D451) being a wrongdoer. On some websites there is a recomendation to re-set it after battery has been replaced or outside charged. Some records say it is the electronics job to learn the new battery characteristics, some say reset it.
When I learn how to do it I will share. (y)

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
12,595 Posts
IIRC the battery voltage needs to be 12.6 or 12.7 at least for things to work as normal

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Battery management of LR is weird. I can only compare it to 69 reg VW T6.1 on my drive. It has 11.7V after so many days and didn't refuse to switch on radio.

There are some pics showing the potentially faulty part. To know it is faulty for sure I'd need our help.
Circled areas are my points of interrest.
Top-right there is a monitoring module itself (under metal bracket). No needs to play with.
Left-bottom there is a 2pin plug.

Car unlocked, everything off. there are my volt readings to the pins (measured to positive of battery)

Could anybody be so kind and measure his please?
Please also write what are your battery volts.

BTW Unplugging it resulted in canceling low battery warning, but in return charge fault came up when i started engine :cautious:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Battery management of LR is weird. I can only compare it to 69 reg VW T6.1 on my drive. It has 11.7V after so many days and didn't refuse to switch on radio.

There are some pics showing the potentially faulty part. To know it is faulty for sure I'd need our help.
View attachment 4282 Circled areas are my points of interrest.
Top-right there is a monitoring module itself (under metal bracket). No needs to play with.
Left-bottom there is a 2pin plug.

Car unlocked, everything off. there are my volt readings to the pins (measured to positive of battery)
View attachment 4283

Could anybody be so kind and measure his please?
Please also write what are your battery volts.

BTW Unplugging it resulted in canceling low battery warning, but in return charge fault came up when i started engine :cautious:
Hello OP.
This is a tale about our daughter’s 2016 Evoque which might just be of interest:-
A month or two before the warranty expiry, the stop/start became more intermittent, but was not complained about under warranty.
3 months out of warranty, that function did not work at all, but the car never failed to start as it should, although a message relating to ‘start car...’ always came up.
Car was taken to 2 auto electricians who confirmed - via a ‘drop test’ that the battery was serviceable.
Main dealer wanted £180 to diagnose, so car was taken to a top rate independent who had the same diagnostic kit as the main dealers.
Verdict - main battery found to below par on CCA, and recommendation was to fit a new battery.
Same speck Varta battery bought from Tayna on a special offer for less than £140.
New battery fitted and car returned to independent to code it in.
Allegedly, if the new battery is not coded in, then the system assumes it is the old battery, and battery monitoring system will declare it substandard anyway - generally at around 4 years old! True?
Anyway, car has been fine since.
I suspected the secondary battery - but wrong assumption.
Kind regards,
Austin.
p.s. You didn’t charge the battery with an old fashioned conventional charger - did you?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes Austin, I did. I took it home and charged overnight. And as I wrote i had 2 days dashboard-warning-clear peace of mind. The only difference to 'old fashioned conventional charger' is that mine has a feature to adjust the current by periodical testing the battery.

·
Registered
MY2016 Evoque Autobiography 2.0L DIESEL 5 DOOR / L538
225 Posts
volt readings to the pins (measured to positive of battery)
I don't understand what you mean. Do you want the voltage reading from each of those pins to battery -ve (negative)?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No mate. You need to close the circuit. All volts are read having one probe of voltmeter connected to POS (+) of battery and the other one to exact pin in plug.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In my book, never (in caps) use a conventional charger to charge an AGM technology battery. You need an ‘intelligent’ charger which automatically controls the charging current and duration.
If this was my car, I would simply be renewing this battery with a correct specification good quality one. OK, the current one might limp on for some little time, but at what point will it fail -possibly without notice?
Of course, whether to change it now, will depend on the future permitted use of the vehicle, but there again, would you really want to be in a situation where you need the car in an emergency and it fails to start?
Kind regards,
Austin.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts