Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
First time using a forum for advice.
Bought my wife an automatic 2.2d lux 2013 as she broke her wrist and cant drive a manual one. We had a cold snap and car wouldnt start. not even enough power to open. We were given a second hand battery that started the car ok but a week later same problem. So we bit the bullet and bought a new heavy duty battery. They tested the alternator and said it was putting out 14.5v under load.
A week later the car wouldnt start flat battery. Batter replaced under warranty. Wife switched every thing off no heated seats, no heated steering wheel, no electric defrost on windows and switched headlights from auto to manual.
Yesterday went to start it and battery flat again. The only thing I have noticed is the hazzard warning light was illuminated even though the car was switch off and locked.
Any advice would be welcome. Garage bill is getting out of hand as well as nagging from wife

·
Super Moderator
10,777 Posts
Hi and welcome. Sounds like something isn't shutting down and is draining the battery. Try disconnecting it for 15 minutes. While disconnected you could touch the positive and negative battery leads to each other (not the battery) as this resets the systems.

Also, always double lock the car as this shuts things down quicker.

·
Super Moderator
2,364 Posts
Does this not sound like something on the F-Type forum with the in-control system XZ4... Not closing session properly after a trip to the dealers.

·
Super Moderator
10,777 Posts
It does Phil but wasn't aware it was the in control system. Just unplugging from the OBD without shutting down correctly causes battery drain. That's why I suggested disconnecting the battery which should fix the drain.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you try disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes when connecting the leads back to the battery make sure the doors are all shut and everything turned off then when you put the last lead on the battery just touch the terminal to the post and see if there is a spark, if there is this means a draw on the battery. Alternatively put a multimeter in-line and check the reading.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
If you try disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes when connecting the leads back to the battery make sure the doors are all shut and everything turned off then when you put the last lead on the battery just touch the terminal to the post and see if there is a spark, if there is this means a draw on the battery. Alternatively put a multimeter in-line and check the reading.
Wouldn't it be normal for some (low) battery use though? The 'puter that runs the clock and InControl GPS etc.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Correct, a tiny spark would be acceptable and may well need a bit of experience to decide when it’s too big! 💥☄💥

·
Super Moderator
2,364 Posts
It does Phil but wasn't aware it was the in control system. Just unplugging from the OBD without shutting down correctly causes battery drain. That's why I suggested disconnecting the battery which should fix the drain.
To be fair XZ4, I don't know for sure its the incontrol, I guess this bit is all new to me from my old Evoque, just sounded very familiar with the warning triangle up etc.

Has it just come from a dealers after this started happening?

Certainly worth the Battery disconnect/reconnect first, then as Trevorguy says ideally put a multimeter inline and see what the quiescent current is. But if in Warranty then get it back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks folks for taking the time to reply. I had done what ZX4 has suggested and taken battery out and left for 30 minutes. Touched the leads together also. Instead of charging battery for the 3rd time I bought another battery. It’s a stop / start type which I have been told is better for short journeys. Strange thing this time is the alarm went off once I connected the negative lead. This is the first time this has happened, besting in mind I have taken this battery in and out

·
Super Moderator
2,364 Posts
I've heard you do need to be ready incase the alarm goes off when reconnecting but never experienced it, big question is... has it cured your issue? Does the Warning triangle stay on?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Warning triangle gone. Started ok this morning but I did notice before I got in the car that the hazard light on the dash was on. The car is only used during the week. The problem was happening after car was left all weekend. I will find out next Monday if it’s cured. Fingers crossed. Wife says if it happens again it’s days are numbered!!! Shame I like driving it. It has more get up and go than my new low emissions / low power new Vauxhall

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Car has been left for over the week end. I have just tried to start it and nothing. Battery flat. Replaced battery with a fully charged one and it started. The only thing I have noticed is the hazard light switch was illuminated. Is it meant to be illuminated all the time

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mines a 13 plate and my hazard switch doesn’t light up all the time so you definitely have something not shutting down. Not sure a hazard switch bulb would drain a battery so quickly but it is possible. I’m presuming you haven’t got a multimeter to measure how many amps are coming out of the battery when all locked up. You could locate the fuse for the hazards and remove it to see if this cures it but without a meter you’d have to leave it for a few days to test it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine is also a 2013. My amp meter is not working correctly but have a volt meter saying there is a 12.3 volt draw. Will get a new amp meter have find out how many amps are being used. Am I correct in thinking there should be some amps drawing about 50ma

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have been told it’s the hazard light being on that’s draining the battery. They think the hazard light has a 5 watt bulb. The formula is as follows. For 12volt battery
10 x size of battery (amps) divided by load in watts. This will give you an answer in hours
In my case 10 x 80 divided by 5 = 160 hour (6.6 days). Fully charged Monday flat the following Sunday

·
Registered
65 Posts
Is the bulb bright, mine has 3 variables, it goes off completely after 20 seconds of locking the car, comes on very dim when in the car and bright when the hazards are on.
I had a quick look in the manual but couldn’t find a fuse location for the indicators, nor the side lights either? Am I blind or do they work from some fused control box or something. If you find the flasher unit you could try disconnecting that.

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
Disconnect the flasher unit? That’s what Beemer drivers do 🤣

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Found this in the service manual, thought it might help.

QUIESCENT CURRENT TESTING
Switch ignition to ‘on’ or select ignition mode in keyless vehicles and switch to ‘off’ (do not crank)
Remove key from ignition switch (if equipped)
Open and latch all doors, hood and luggage compartment lid
Lock the vehicle using the remote function on the remote handset. (Single lock only to avoid volumetric alarm arming)
Remove any other potential electrical drains such as accessories plugged into accessory sockets
Record the amperage readings after the shutdown period referenced in the Topix on line resource for details. Note all cars from 10MY onwards should be less than 30mA after 30 minutes

Record the final reading on the battery report form
The preferred method of testing following an excessive current consumption figure is to use a current probe around individual junction box leads to the various suspected circuits to identify a potential cause. This is in preference to the old method of removing fuses for the following reasons:

The drain may be caused by a module remaining active and preventing the quiescent drain from reducing to normal levels.
The drain may be caused by a relay winding that is activated. Pulling the fuse can allow this to ‘reset’ and the drain will be lost and go un-diagnosed

1 - 20 of 35 Posts