Evoque Owners Club banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
MY2016 Evoque Autobiography 2.0L DIESEL 5 DOOR / L538
136 Posts
Thanks Bazz & Jan. I have to slam my bonnet quite hard to get it to fully latch. I didn't want to do that with a 230v cable in the way (I need to leave my battery charger under the unlocked bonnet as I don't want it to get damp overnight). I might look at permanently attaching a charger cable to the battery so I can connect to it through the grill, like someone else did in another post on this subject.

·
Registered
77 Posts
As mentioned in previous posts, not much mileage done recently. Yesterday I had a lot of running around to do for my wife and daughter and was really surprised to find that the stop start was working perfectly.

Won’t bother to put it on charge just yet.

Nigel

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Thanks Bazz & Jan. I have to slam my bonnet quite hard to get it to fully latch. I didn't want to do that with a 230v cable in the way (I need to leave my battery charger under the unlocked bonnet as I don't want it to get damp overnight). I might look at permanently attaching a charger cable to the battery so I can connect to it through the grill, like someone else did in another post on this subject.
Hi rawpilot, see: Fitting Battery Charger Plug to Front Grill

·
Registered
2013 L538 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
1,879 Posts
With little use recently (for some reason ??) I thought I’d give my original 7 year old battery 24hrs on the charger.
Positive on the “+” terminal of battery, negative on the chassis. Ran the cable from the battery compartment, behind the bonnet stays, in to the passenger side. Put the CTEK stop/start charger on the dash and plugged in to extension in the footwell.
Shut the bonnet and doors, locked the Evoque, 24 hrs later - job done?
Fully charged with no issues or errors.

·
Registered
MY20.25 P250 SE R Dynamic Silicon Silver, Black Pack, Pano, Driver Pack
72 Posts
I see that JLR have issued an email re maintaining vehicle during lockdown.
Start car for 30mins set temp @ 22degrees, then for 15mins every 7 days.
Adjust parking position by 0.25 of a wheel turn every fortnight to avoid flat spots

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Is this another way that JLR can convince us to burn extra fuel & make unnecessary pollution rather than use a trickle charger. ❓

·
Registered
602 Posts
Is this another way that JLR can convince us to burn extra fuel & make unnecessary pollution rather than use a trickle charger. ❓
Not really.
A trickle charger doesn't get the car up to working temperature, circulate the coolant and the oil in the engine.
It doesn't circulate the gas in the aircon nor does it move the car to prevent flatspots.
Apart from that it's great.
:)

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
1,626 Posts
Over on the Disco Sport site someone also mentioned by starting the car every few weeks it stops it going into a 'deep sleep' by booting up the 'puters etc. Not sure how much truth there is in that but certainly seems worth starting the vehicle every once in a while. I'm using mine for a weekly food shop so it gets some use.

For the Ingenium diesels especially, I wonder how the DPF will fair if it's left to idle for 15 minutes? It probably won't take too many goes at that until it starts getting clogged! Especially if it was due a regen just before lockdown...

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Hi PhilB,
I understand where you are coming from, but every 7 days?? We are talking about a "modern" vehicle with 20th century Tec & fluids, I would have thought that it was capable of standing a bit longer than 7 days without rotting away or falling apart.
Having said that we are talking JLR

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hi PhilB,
I understand where you are coming from, but every 7 days?? We are talking about a "modern" vehicle with 20th century Tec & fluids, I would have thought that it was capable of standing a bit longer than 7 days without rotting away or falling apart.
Having said that we are talking JLR View attachment 4540
I think this is aimed at the long term lack of use.
Most of us have left our cars for a couple of weeks and gone on holiday with no aggravation.
But not wanting to stop any criticism of JLR I'll agree THEY SHOULD HANG THEIR HEADS IN SHAME!
:D

·
Registered
147 Posts
Fortunately I'd bought a Ctek MXS 5 just before the lockdown, initially I'd wired the connector supplied directly to the battery terminals and not experienced any problems. However seeing the earlier comments on this thread regarding potential problems with the car battery managment modules I've just moved the neg connection to chassis. Must be all of 6" from the normal big fat battery to chassis cable all cars have.....so that's a half hour of my life wasted I won't get back.
Any electronics engineers on here convince me otherwise?
One of the reasons I chose the Ctek was noticing most the cars in the dealer show room were using these, what's the betting connected direct to the battery? :LOL:
Taking a slightly circuitous route on the weekly shop in the hope of avoiding any DPF issues while in lockdown.

·
Registered
MY 2016 Autobiography
17 Posts
Two days ago I had the warning to start the car Battery Low. As have a GYS 4-12 Charger which I use on my other car during the winter. I Connected to my Evoque. It did take about 7 hours I kept checking with my DVM that it was brining the voltage up slowly. Once the charger indicated that the battery was fully charged Disconnected and all has been fine. Strangely the Stop/Start has started working ?

The GYS charger not the cheapest unit but it does do the job. They also make a 6-12 and also 8-12 units. I guess the 6-12 would charger a little quicker

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ctek charger takes a while too if it's got to pull it back up from the low battery warning, but there's no rush we're not going anywhere yet. :rolleyes:
Last couple of weeks I've just got into the habit of connecting up after the weekly shop, gets to full charge quickly. Just have to remember to unplug before pulling out the garage following week! :LOL:

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
1,626 Posts
...Once the charger indicated that the battery was fully charged Disconnected and all has been fine. Strangely the Stop/Start has started working ?
That doesn't sound strange to me! :)
Stop/Start needs a charged battery else it won't kick in.

·
Registered
147 Posts
That doesn't sound strange to me! :)
Stop/Start needs a charged battery else it won't kick in.
Agreed, noticed the difference on mine. Mind you difficult to tell, if the wife's in passemger seat I have an auto off button actuator. :)

61 - 75 of 75 Posts