Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my car is on the drive & not in a garage I’m looking to get a new battery charger as opposed to a trickle charger. Now what would be best, 4, 6, 8 or 12 Amp? My S/S has not worked for over a week so I’m assuming low battery though no warning yet.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
As my car is on the drive & not in a garage I’m looking to get a new battery charger as opposed to a trickle charger. Now what would be best, 4, 6, 8 or 12 Amp? My S/S has not worked for over a week so I’m assuming low battery though no warning yet.
Wow you got electric side steps ?????

No idea sorry Vet

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow you got electric side steps ?????

No idea sorry Vet
I can’t afford retractable side steps Donna, I’m a poor pensioner. Another 5 years & I wont be able to afford a TV licence.

·
Registered
2013 L538 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
1,879 Posts

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can’t use a trickle charger CBW as the car is parked on the drive, it would be ideal but not practical in my case as the car is not kept in the garage. I’ve just ordered an 8 amp charger, free postage, be here Tues or Weds. thanks anyway.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hi.....Modern day cars shouldn't need a battery charger if its used reasonably often ok if its been off the road a while sure ..Mine has been outside even in winter.. I'd maybe get the battery checked out nothing worse than a car that don't start a good battery for a diesel auto is in my opinion paramount ...

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I only do a very low mileage every week so the battery does not get much of a charge day on day with radio, air con, DRLs etc working.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Like many other folk I'm getting a Low Battery warning because the car is not being used during the current lockdown. I have an Optimate trickle charger which is about 8 years old that I use on my MX5 over the winter. It obviously predates the world of stop/start batteries....is it likely to do any harm if I use it on the Evoque?

EG

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry, I’m not familiar with your (ageing) charger, but stop/start technology AGM batteries require ‘intelligent’ chargers, so personally, I would not risk using it unless you can find evidence that it is indeed suitable.
Kind regards,
Austin.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
11,071 Posts
I used an old optimate on my Evoque EG and had no issues. I still use it on the F Type which also has stop start.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I used an old optimate on my Evoque EG and had no issues. I still use it on the F Type which also has stop start.
Thanks. I decided to try it anyway. It's been on 24 hours now and still on "orange!"

EG

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was cleaning out my shed today and found my old Ctec MXS 3.8 so I decided to plug the RR in for the day. My cars kept on the drive but it managed to charge up fine to full.
It was meant to be going in last week to have the battery looked at as my start stop doesn’t work really so that’s been put on hold.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I was cleaning out my shed today and found my old Ctec MXS 3.8 so I decided to plug the RR in for the day. My cars kept on the drive but it managed to charge up fine to full.
It was meant to be going in last week to have the battery looked at as my start stop doesn’t work really so that’s been put on hold.
Mine has reached full charge at last...took over 24 hours. I guess that the latest stop/start chargers from Ctek and Optimate would take less time from what I have read..

EG

·
Registered
2,137 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Currently £79 Halfords, £76.48 wave inn.com delivered.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
All this talk about battery chargers, my motor has not had much use for a few weeks now - went out today & had the dreaded low battery warning, the tailgate would not open etc. so I dug out an old Accumate smart charger connected up & it seems to be doing the biz. we shall see tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Just checked again, still charging. This battery was replaced about 10 months ago when it went in for the first of many visits for repairs/problems. Even with a new battery S/S function for about a week before failing to work. Just shows what a SH!TE charging system we have on these high end vehicles. :mad: :(

·
Registered
Spock - MY20 D180 Evoque R-Dynamic SE Santorini Black Pimp-Wagon!
91 Posts
That's not unusual Bazz, it can take ages to charge a car battery. It obviously depends on how big the battery is and how powerful your charger is. A couple of days is not unusual for modern, big batteries. Also as its got stop/start do you know if your battery is AGM? If you don't have a special charger it will take longer to charge than an equivalent sized normal lead acid as Austin was getting at previously.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Hi Cap'n
Fully charged now, it is an AGM battery.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Contacted CTEK a couple of days ago to see if my old Charger suitable for AGM batteries and they confirmed it won’t cause any harm but will be much slower than there later models.

Should be OK for now as went for a long drive to pick up a new bike for My daughter so she can exercise (think she just wants to get out of the house!)

Nigel

1 - 20 of 75 Posts