Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been informed by Land Rover assistance who attended my vehicle today, that the whining/whistling noise from my engine is due to the worn balancer shaft bearings. The car is only 6 month old with 11,500 miles on the clock. I'm absolutely gutted, I thought this issue had been sorted out.

Waiting for the dealer to call me with a booking date.

Has anyone else had this problem with their Mk2 Evoque?

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I’ve only had mine a couple of days, I have noticed some sort of noise when accelerating, it’s only subtle, and disappears when lifting off the accelerator. I have only test driven one other RR but I don't remember hearing anything when I drove that one.
I have a 2020 model R-Dynamic D180 SE 9.5K on the clock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you may have the same problem. It's more noticeable when pulling away from standstill.

Best get it checked out by your dealer, or if they can't look it straight away, call Land Rover assistance out.

Mine's in the early stages apparently, the noise will get slowly worse, but I'm told it's ok to keep driving it

·
Registered
Spock - MY20 D180 Evoque R-Dynamic SE Santorini Black Pimp-Wagon!
165 Posts
One of the delays to me getting my car yesterday was that last week on Tues 3rd I think, a new recall came out for NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness) in the balance shaft on the MY20 Diesels. They had to do this recall before letting it go out which took quite a while I think.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have it on my 2020 Evoque. Its going in tomorrow to be fixed.... hopefully.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Had a new balance shaft fitted when they re-opened after lock down. They told me that the ones they fit as replacements are not the same as the factory fitted, so they will not fail. Sounds a bit like “tell them what they want to hear” to me 🤥🙁 time will tell 🤔

Reactions: Doink

·
Registered
Porsche Macan S 2020 model - Volcano Grey
55 Posts
I can’t believe that LR are selling new cars that have faulty engine balance shafts????(n)

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,873 Posts
It does seem strange. The DS owners forum has many posts on this. At one point people have been told it was a bad batch of parts, then they were being stored outside or something. That was a few years ago so it's strange there are still problems!?

·
Registered
MY16 HSE Dynamic LUX, Volvo 850R
2,394 Posts
And then it was meant to be an early sign of the oil dilution, certainly was when I joined the forums, was the first thing to fail and what probably alerted JLR to sample the oil, I believe it's the balancer shaft bearings not the shaft itself although that's probably toast as well if run with failed bearings

Reactions: XZ4

·
Registered
Porsche Macan S 2020 model - Volcano Grey
55 Posts
Is this balance shaft/bearings problem only affecting diesel engines? If so, is it on all the hp output engines?

·
Registered
133 Posts
The part number for the shafts which are more prone to fail is LR074075 while the "improved" replacement shaft is LR123806. It's difficult to tell whether they are still fitting LR074075 to new Evoque engines but Velar 2.0 Ingeniums from KA797708 forwards left the factory with LR123806 installed. Put a date on that chassis and you would have the probable change-over date.
Below is a link to the US version of LTB01263 which shows that LR123806 is only to be used on the SECOND occasion when the shafts are replaced due to bearing failure - the first time they fail the dealer is supposed to fit back LR074075.
Useful part site: 2018-2019 Land Rover Range Rover Velar Balance Shaft LR123806 | Rover Jaguar

·
Registered
MY16 HSE Dynamic LUX, Volvo 850R
2,394 Posts
Is this balance shaft/bearings problem only affecting diesel engines? If so, is it on all the hp output engines?
I believe it's all diesel ingenium engines be it in an evoque or discovery sport, those that suffer with oil dilution, all to do with the siting if the DPF under the car and not on the end of the exhaust manifold, because the evoque and DS have engines that fit side to side so there's no room behind the engine for the DPF, cars with the same engine fitted north/south don't suffer from oil dilution

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just been informed by Land Rover assistance who attended my vehicle today, that the whining/whistling noise from my engine is due to the worn balancer shaft bearings. The car is only 6 month old with 11,500 miles on the clock. I'm absolutely gutted, I thought this issue had been sorted out.

Waiting for the dealer to call me with a booking date.

Has anyone else had this problem with their Mk2 Evoque?
Yup, I can sort of better this.

April 2019 First Edition D180, done only c9000 miles, "VERY EXCESSIVE BALANCER SHAFT BEARING WHINE" - dealer's words. Never ever had any DPF warnings so "driving style" ok?
I thought this was supposed to have been fixed with the last Mk1 models?
I also see recent DS seem to have similar problems.
Currently in bits in dealer workshop.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Makes me wonder if they have Not worked the loads on the two bearings on the Balance Shaft correctly and fitted the incorrect type of bearings and that's why they are failing.

Not good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had a new balance shaft fitted when they re-opened after lock down. They told me that the ones they fit as replacements are not the same as the factory fitted, so they will not fail. Sounds a bit like “tell them what they want to hear” to me 🤥🙁 time will tell 🤔
[/QUOTE
Hi, did your noise get sorted, was it a high pitched whistling noise? And if it was sorted, is it still ok now?

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
The noise was quite subtle tbh, it was a high pitch whining noise, and it disappeared after they replaced the balance shaft.
It has not returned 👍

·
Registered
52 Posts
My my20 Evoque first edition went in to JLR Bolton to look at a door handle issue. Turns out they are going to replace all 4 handles.. I was also informed that my balancer shaft was whining and they are going to replace it !!! TBH I hadn’t noticed the noise myself but I’m glad they picked it up.
Re the post earlier about fitting the same part number for the first change of the Balancer Shaft rather than an updated one like on the second failure if it should happen again, does anybody know if this is still the case?
Also does anybody have a pdf of the UK TSB for this problem that they could share
Much appreciated
Steve

·
Registered
52 Posts
Does anybody have a pdf of the uk TSB for the balancer shaft issue
Thanks

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,873 Posts
@Speary8 Sorry to read about your handles and balancer shaft issues, especially on such a new vehicle :(

If no one here has info then I recommend searching on the Disco Sport forum as lots of bulletins are posted there.

EDIT:
Did a search for you - is this what you are after?
TSB = LTB01263v2

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts