Evoque Owners Club banner

Balance shaft bearing

17K views 36 replies 13 participants last post by  HmmmUK 
#1 ·
So, over the few weeks I’ve had the car, I have noticed a slight grating noise from the engine compartment when accelerating.
Not having had a 4X4, or a diesel, or an automatic, or a Range Rover before, I wasn’t even sure if it was a noise that shouldn’t be there or not.
As Guy Salmon Wakefield JLR have started back at work this week, I booked it in under warranty to let them investigate. They told me the noise I heard was from the heat shield or heat shield bracket that was catching, and they had replaced the bracket & sorted the issue.
However, they said they had in fact found a more serious problem, in that the Balance Shaft bearings were dry, and that was causing another noise (that I hadn’t noticed). They are ordering a new Balance Shaft (I have no idea at all what that is).
They wanted to keep the car until next week sometime when the parts would be with them, but I asked if it was OK to drive it & they said yes, so I took the car back & it‘s going back in when they have the parts.

On another post recently I read how rudely a couple of forum members had been treated either in person or over the phone by their JLR dealership. I can say I have never been treated as nicely by any car dealer as I was today, & you would have thought I’d bought an SVR the way they spoke to me.

Not impressed that a couple of faults Like this occurred on such a new car, but very impressed with the way they dealt with it.

See less See more
#36 ·
Just this minute wife coming back from first MOT on the new Evoque (well nearly 3 yrs now)
15k miles so pretty low.
I thought it was all OK dropping off, advised engine noise, suspect balance Shaft, £3,500.
Just in warranty so should be OK.
Funnily enough could not make my mind up if to add an extended warranty, fairly sure I would being a LR but this has made up my mind 100%.
To be honest if not far out out of warranty surely LR would have to cover most of this, can't be considered fit for purpose at low mileage. I know they would not offer it but in an argument/legally would think eventually they would have to cover a good chunk of it. Perhaps many of these forums would imply otherwise.

#37 ·
@Bignose2 Welcome to the EOC forum :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.