Evoque Owners Club banner

Balance shaft bearing

17K views 36 replies 13 participants last post by  HmmmUK 
#1 ·
So, over the few weeks I’ve had the car, I have noticed a slight grating noise from the engine compartment when accelerating.
Not having had a 4X4, or a diesel, or an automatic, or a Range Rover before, I wasn’t even sure if it was a noise that shouldn’t be there or not.
As Guy Salmon Wakefield JLR have started back at work this week, I booked it in under warranty to let them investigate. They told me the noise I heard was from the heat shield or heat shield bracket that was catching, and they had replaced the bracket & sorted the issue.
However, they said they had in fact found a more serious problem, in that the Balance Shaft bearings were dry, and that was causing another noise (that I hadn’t noticed). They are ordering a new Balance Shaft (I have no idea at all what that is).
They wanted to keep the car until next week sometime when the parts would be with them, but I asked if it was OK to drive it & they said yes, so I took the car back & it‘s going back in when they have the parts.

On another post recently I read how rudely a couple of forum members had been treated either in person or over the phone by their JLR dealership. I can say I have never been treated as nicely by any car dealer as I was today, & you would have thought I’d bought an SVR the way they spoke to me.

Not impressed that a couple of faults Like this occurred on such a new car, but very impressed with the way they dealt with it.

See less See more
#2 ·
Glad you’re getting it sorted and have been treated well. As has been said on here a few times lately most come on here to moan or complain, I’m sure the vast majority are treated perfectly well.
I’ve no idea what the balance shaft is either but at least you’re getting a new one, not sure why the bearings would be dry though, cars don’t have grease nipples any more unless built up without grease / lubricant at the factory. I guess you’ll never know.

#5 ·
Noisy balancer shaft bearings are said to be the first sign of possible oil dilution and if left will result in total engine failure

I'd like to think you've had a genuine experience with your dealer but the cynic in me kind of says they know more they're letting on

Reactions: 15498
#7 ·
I'd like to think you've had a genuine experience with your dealer but the cynic in me kind of says they know more they're letting on
I'd wager that is exactly what is going on. A customer that has a brand spanking new car that is well within rejection range is getting the gold treatment. I bet an owner of a car towards the end of it's three year warranty, or an approved used wouldn't get quite the service.

#6 ·
Sorry to hear about your balancer shaft problems :(

Have a search, there's more info here and a lot more on the DS forum!
It's quite a big job as lots of parts are changed.

Disappointing that the new models are still seeing this....
There's some talk about bad batches of parts, but it looks like there's more to it.
Not ideal driving with the problem as bearing material (metal!) will be circulating.

How many miles to the next (first!) oil service?

#12 ·
Sorry to hear about your balancer shaft problems :(
How many miles to the next (first!) oil service?
Not sure how to find that out ? I read somewhere something about pressing the start button without pressing the brake, but not sure where to look then 🤔

#8 ·
It had to happen again though didn't it, JLR had the perfect opportunity to change the architecture in the 2020 cars instead they chose to leave it just as it was in the MY16 cars, it was only a matter of time. Have to agree with valisk and its only the fact that its BRAND NEW that your getting the gold vip treatment, if you have an early MY16 car like me then I could fully imagine them digging their heels in and claiming the 'driving style' get out clause

#9 ·
Sounds plausible.
I had no idea it was a known fault, or that it was quite a big job. They clearly knew what to look for as that wasn’t why I took it in, it was the noise from the heat shield bracket that I’d spotted.
just a bit concerned now about the oil dilution comment.🤔

#11 ·
...and this is the very thing that frustrates me about potentially handing over a large chunk of cash over to JLR. If I'd just bought a 2020 Evoque and the engine needed pulling apart, I'd be straight back to the dealer and lashing the keys back at them (and I'd have picked the exact spec as you - your car is absolutely gorgeous).

#14 ·
Bear in mind HmmmmmUK the OP has a 2020 car which might have different menus again so that info could be anywhere, the fact its a D180 Ingenium would ring alarm bells to me if a LR tech said your balancer shaft bearings are dry..............wtf does dry mean anyway, what like poor or no lubrication dry, oh and its still ok to drive!

#15 ·
Hi @Doink I did mention the menus might be different than in my earlier Evoque.
I then went on to paste and link to the instructions taken from the 2020 Owners Manual :)
They seem similar (the same) to the earlier vehicles.

#16 ·
Just checking your on the same hymn sheet that's all, when you said you have an older Evoque doesn't help anymore as there's two newer[than yours]models now so it was hard to know which model[MY16] or [MY20] you were referencing ;)

I know what I meant!

#17 ·
And so you should be treated nicely you have a brand new car that cost an awful lot of money. Unfortunately I doubt that would be the case if it was out of warranty or an approved used. They need to treat ALL customers with respect. Those with older models will one day be the customers of new models.

#20 ·
Exactly that. If you alienate your customers just because they have an older car, they are never likely to be a customer with a brand new car.
Although I’m concerned that the engine has a “common” fault, I am impressed with the way it has been handled (so far).
I do agree that JLR should have rectified something that has clearly been an issue for many customers. I can only assume they thought it was either not as “common” a fault as it appears to be on these pages, or, it was simply cheaper to keep fixing the cars under warranty than to redesign the entire power unit. (And of course make owners of older cars pay for the fix themselves).

A quick example of the correct way to go about it....

Peugeot RCZ Mk1 had a VERY common issue of the timing chain tensioner failing, like, more or less every car !!
Then they brought out the MkII like mine, and they fitted a modified part which didn’t break. They even fitted the modified part to the Mk1’s that they fixed.

Now that’s a company responding to Common faults. JLR could have probably done with looking at how other companies handle recurring faults, especially when their products are so much more expensive.

Reactions: Maffy
#21 ·
Unfortunately they are living on the reputation of Maurice Wilks. Our 1965 Series 2a starts first time every time even if it’s sat on the drive for two months in snow. Although I do cringe from the amount of smoke coming from the exhaust 😜

#22 ·
I’m just hoping that with all the steering rack failures thar they do the right thing and recall it , but they seem intent on fix on failure approach , yes it occurs at low speed ... I’m glad mine was on a quiet road while doing a three point turn and not coming onto a roundabout , out of a multi-storey, etc .... to me it’s dangerous you literally cannot steer or drive when it goes...

#23 ·
Yes that ones worrying me a bit. The old BMW Z4’s had a similar issue called sticky steering. It would literally stick in hot weather. I’m amazed if other countries consider it dangerous ours doesn’t. Crazy isnt it.Thank goodness you were doing a three point turn and not steering round a corner on a fast country road.

#24 ·
Update on this issue. 29 days ago I took the car in & they wanted to keep it in until they got the new part. I am so glad I didn’t let them as I still hadn’t heard from them up to today that the part had arrived.
I called them this morning, and they said, ahh, we have the part now sir, would you like us to book you in for the repair?
I just wonder how long they would have left it until they actually called me to let me know the part had arrived?
They have now booked me in for their 1st available slot which is..... 22nd June!!
No courtesy car, no valet, no collection or drop off, all due to the virus.
They will need the car for at least 2 days.

My first encounter with Guy Salmon Wakefield Range Rover hasn’t gone exactly how I would have hoped 🤔

#26 ·
I have a MY2020 Evoque 150SE Red and black roof. I have the same defect. At first I thought he noise sounded like a turbo but after some weeks the noise became louder. The car has only 6574 miles on the clock. I’ve always had Landrover vehicles since 2006. To say I am disappointed is an understatement. My local dealer have managed to set a date for the repair to the balance shaft on the 3rd Nov and need the car for 4 days. I would be happy if LR would buy the car back.

#27 ·
Reject the car, the fault was present when you bought it

Reactions: ScreamingDead
#29 ·
They fitted a new balance shaft under warranty. I had no idea what a balance shaft was either. I couldn’t have a courtesy car or mine valeted because of the Covid situation.

#30 ·
Did they say why it had failed ?.

#31 ·
They said it was a faulty unit supplied to JLR. Seems from reading on here, it wasn’t the only one 🤔

They did tell me that the replacement was not from a faulty batch, and that it wouldn’t suffer the same fate.

#32 ·
Of course it's a faulty batch, I wouldn't expect them to tell you the real truth, my local dealer showed me, let me listen to their 2018 courtesy car when I was informed we had a noisy engine, ours turned out to be the timing chain, must be a big batch of faulty balancer shafts if it was affecting 2018 cars

#34 ·
I bought an autobiography and was due to colle t this week. They have cancelled deal due to this issue

#35 ·
Still using that faulty batch then 🤔😳

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.