Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2014 - LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER EVOQUE SD4 DYNAMIC
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I was travelling about 35 miles away from home when I got stuck in traffic for a while, and as we were stuck in traffic we smelt a smell which was like a brake pad sticking on the disc. We arrived at our destination and when we got out the car the smell was really strong. We noticed the engine was really hot and even the bit I’ve put in blue was mega hot. We left the car over night and drove home ok. No loss of power or anything but still the smell was there when we got back and again the blue area was hot to touch. It was probably the first decent run for a week or so. We bought the car 3 weeks ago and have had no other problems just wondered if anyone else had similar thing happen to them. It’s a 64 plate with 61k on the clock and a full service history. Had all new pads and discs put on around a year ago. Any advice would be good.
Thanks

·
Registered
967 Posts
If it's a diesel then I'd say a DPF regeneration was going on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it’s 2.2sd, do I need to be worried?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Nope.
If it was a regen then it normally happens whilst you are travelling and you don't tend to notice it.
If you stop then you can cop a whiff of it.
It happens from time to time, just burning off excess soot from the filter so quite normal.
Keep an eye on it anyway but unless someone else can offer an alternative view then you are ok.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,094 Posts
The smell makes it sound like a DPF regen - normally more noticeable on an Ingenium engine.
I've got a 2.2 diesel and in 3 years I haven't noticed a regen! - Euro 5 engines don't work in the same way.

The heat/smell from a regen is normally from the middle of the car under the driver's door.

Your photo seems to highlight the radiator - have you checked the coolant level?

EDIT: You mention "hot engine" - was the temp gauge normal?

Reactions: Monkeyboy99

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes the temp gauge never moved from the centre even when stuck in traffic for 30mins. Just looked at the coolant level and it’s ok about in the middle of the max and minimum.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,094 Posts
Let us know how things go...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will do thanks for your help 👍🏻

·
Registered
69 Posts
Perhaps it being the third hottest day on record would also add to the increased smells of frictions and regens. It was the first time my cement mixer had a thermal cut out in 21 years. So must have been generally hot or a good excuse for early pub time :unsure:

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,094 Posts
Perhaps it being the third hottest day on record would also add to the increased smells of frictions and regens. It was the first time my cement mixer had a thermal cut out in 21 years. So must have been generally hot or a good excuse for early pub time :unsure:
Good point!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
It was disastrous for me, my iPad shutdown as it was too hot. I had to have another G&T while I waited for it to be cool enough again for browsing.

You mention the coolant level is in the middle between max & min. It’s probably a good idea to top it up to the max level & you can see if it changes easier. If you’ve only had it a few weeks, the seller might have topped it to the max mark & it could be dropping, but if it’s only just short of that mark it should’t be anything to worry about anyway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So after a couple of days, I've given the car another Runout up the dual carriageway and back at a steady speed to see if I can replicate the smell from the other day. The car felt ok no loss of power at all and upon returning the smell was only slightly there. Not as bad as the previous trip, what I did notice when I lifted the bonnet was that the coolant pipe from in the photo was really hot to touch and the coolant reservoir was mega hot. No loss off coolant and the coolant gauge was in the middle for the full trip 30mins. Is this normal or should I Get it checked out before my Warranty runs out from the garage I bought it from?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Get it checked ! My advice you don’t want pipes bursting 😳

·
Registered
MY2016 Evoque Autobiography 2.0L DIESEL 5 DOOR / L538
203 Posts
Coolant pipes will be extremely hot after a run as they have just removed tremendous amounts of heat energy from the engine.

If the temperature gauge is always in the normal range, I wouldn't be worried.

Out of interest, was the radiator cooling fan running ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Coolant pipes will be extremely hot after a run as they have just removed tremendous amounts of heat energy from the engine.

If the temperature gauge is always in the normal range, I wouldn't be worried.

Out of interest, was the radiator cooling fan running ?
no the fans were not running.

·
Registered
Dynamic 3 door, 2013, SD4, santorini black with pimento and ebony
122 Posts
This all seems pretty normal. If the car has been stood a while it gets dusty and and if it has been recently serviced there may be some oil drips. They will tend to ‘burn off’ on the first few good runs.
Under the area you first photographed is the water radiator, air con radiator, turbo inter cooler and possibly an auto gearbox cooler.
If your water temp is fine on the gauge it is not overheating. As long as the smell has gone I would say it is all doing it’s job rather well.
PS I always keep my water bottle about halfway between min and max when cold.
The level changes when it’s hot.

·
Registered
MY2016 Evoque Autobiography 2.0L DIESEL 5 DOOR / L538
203 Posts
Is your car manual or automatic ? A slipping clutch can smell really strongly, like a binding brake.

·
Registered
967 Posts
If it was slipping you would notice it whilst driving.
Revs would increase as you accelerated but the forward motion wouldn't be linear with the rpm.
Plus the smell would be there all the time and you say it has virtually gone ?
As regards the heat, I came back this morning from a 30 minute drive back on the motorway and opening the bonnet is like opening an oven door and it will stay hot for quite some time.
Turbochargers belt out an awful lot of heat.
Personally, I think your car is fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Phil 👍🏻

1 - 20 of 20 Posts