Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Great RR Evoque forum by the way !

I realise the RR brand has almost always been identified as an Automatic vehiclebut after readingreviews on the Evoque automatic transmission produced by Jaguarthereseems to be a common thread that theautomatic transmission can be abit sluggishengaging, particularly when coming toa stop andthenimmediately pulling offoralternativelyquickly pulling out ofjunctions.

Anyone read similar reports about the Automatic ? i'm unsure whether to go with the manual option now......

Cheers

SD4 Pure

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi Jbrangie,
I have always had a manual box, however whenever im back in UK i always rent an auto, and now i decided i will go for the auto for my Pure 2.2 TD4, i have heard bits and pieces some positive some not, however the same applies to maual box i heard some things and again other, i think its more preference really, all i know is i ordered what i wanted :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks......i agree the auto seems the obvious choice but its just that some reviews of the auto transmission have been less than complimentary....so now not too sure

·
Registered
134 Posts
but then i guess you have found some positives :) RR are renowned for auto's thats a plus in itself

·
Registered
19 Posts
Auto all the way for me...there is always issues with take off with autos but not that big an issue to hinder ride....My wife has a gold with a dual clutch gizmo which is meant to eliminate this but sometimes you feel it take off and you hang on for dear life to the steering wheel...all good fun. The S (sport) option on the auto will cut this done a little but will revv up more......all in all I'd say for an SUV it has to be Auto would never consider a manual for such a vehicle...but as some have pointed out its a preference thing......rather be lazy in traffic than have to keep changing manually through the gears..

don't forget you also get flappy paddles behind steering wheel for extra fun...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Bash

Appreciate your input....as i do from everyone who's taken time to reply....reckon i'll go with the gut feelin on this one and stick to the auto

Cheers

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi jbrangie
I have never had an automatic either but have been advised the evoque is a must have in auto and am going to give it a bash in petrol dynamic never had this kind of vehicle had coupes all my days so looking forward for a change !!
Kev

·
Registered
56 Posts
Once you have switched to auto there is no going back
I hate driving manuals given our car parks sorry I meanroads are always jammed

·
Registered
361 Posts
jbrangie said:
Hi Guys

Great RR Evoque forum by the way !

I realise the RR brand has almost always been identified as an Automatic vehiclebut after readingreviews on the Evoque automatic transmission produced by Jaguarthereseems to be a common thread that theautomatic transmission can be abit sluggishengaging, particularly when coming toa stop andthenimmediately pulling offoralternativelyquickly pulling out ofjunctions.

Anyone read similar reports about the Automatic ? i'm unsure whether to go with the manual option now......

Cheers

SD4 Pure
Test drive them both if you can..what ever you go for will be the right choice for you

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a Freelander 2 auto at present and will be replacing it with an Evoque auto. My experience with recent Land Rover autos has been good, and remember the Evoque like the Freelander has no low box - the auto goes a long way towards compensating for this, both off road and towing. I have driven a manual Freelander 2 off road alongside an auto, the manual was difficult (slipping the clutch etc.)- the auto dead easy - it just did it!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just another point to the discussion.

I am a sole trader & I can put 20% of the value of the car per year against my earnings on a Manual but only 10% on the auto!

Very frustrating as I wanted the Auto but if I keep the car for 3 years I could claim more than £7000 Extra back if I ordered the Manual over the auto.

It's all to do with the emissions & anything under 160 I can claim 20% back. The manual is 149 & the Auto is 169!Edited by: andyuk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wow, thanks for the info Andyuk I never knew this (I'll be speaking to my accountant) can you offset 20% even if used for pleasure as well as business?.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You have to state a percentage of use for business/pleasure so let's say you state it's 80% business use. Then if you purchase a Pure Manual at 30k that's 80% of £6k you can off set against your earnings. If it's the auto then it's 80% of 3k

This only came in last year so make sure your accountant is aware as mine was not until I pointed her in the right direction! It is also now for any value of car as it used to be a max of £12k car so also make sure your accountant is aware!

Plenty of websites will give you a breakdown just google car emissions tax offset or similar

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm undecided but am close to opting for the manual simply because I don't want to spend all my time in service stations refuelling. My current Audi diesel is auto, it does 50 mpg on the motorway and mid 40s around town, I doubt the evoque auto will match this. I know some of you are getting excited about flappy paddles on the auto but I already have these and in over 3 and a half years have only ever used them a handful of times, just a gimmick.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Singhy, what car have you ordered mate. This can make alot of difference on which one you order?
On ours we have gone for the auto because it has 50 more BHP. This made our mind up for us!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Chirsnlex,

I'm about to order a Pure SD 4 190HP manual with tech pack, LED lights AND A FEW OTHER BITSN'BOBS. I know the auto will be easier and faster but I don't think the MPG will come close to the maunal or my current Audi.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts