Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to a dealer to replace my Freelander and (like many others, I guess) walked outconvincing myself that I need/deserve an Evoque. I know that auto is almost the default choice for most, but I'm surprised there's not more discussion on the pros and cons of auto vs manual. I'd be very interested to hear from others that have agonized on this - particularly those that came down on the manual side...

·
Registered
174 Posts
I had never driven an auto before, but unfortunately I do spend quite some time in traffic jams. I took the TD4 auto for a testdrive and was convinced I should get one. It does have a disadvantage. When you want to overtake it takes a second for the power to kick in. The 150hp engine is plenty for me, but I just have to take into account that I don't have total control when accelerating. Gear changes didn't bother me at all, it is very smooth. I haven't tried the manual one, but I bet it's a lot better. That's what's being said in most of the tests as well. I just want to be lazy this time around and that knob just looks so cool

·
Registered
34 Posts
I decided against the manual due to the time it takes to get to 60 mph manual 9.5, auto 8 seconds WTF. I took the SD4 out and it was quick enough and you can use the pedals behind the steering wheel. Im now thinking about the SI4 (7.1) as ive been used to quick cars and used to be dead set against an auto. Now deciding on 3 or 5 doors

·
Registered
81 Posts
Si4 is amazing!! Just love it.

Re doors - I prefer the look of the coupe, but the lack of rear doors des not suit everyone. My advice would be, go for 3 unless you need a 5 door car.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi,
I like to drive a car, so always bought manual.

If you are sitting in traffic alot, then manual is more effort to drive.

I swapped a Freelander. The drive difference, speed and agility is amazing (but hope my lovely dependable Freelander cannot hear me say that!).

Have you thought about wheels. I have the 19" 5 series, and they are an effort to clean. Even with the brush I got in the car care kit I got when it was pre treated on purchase. I have slim fingers too, but takes as long to clean the wheels between all the spokes as it does for the rest of the car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
To pre-empt the auto box, and therefore any delay, use the paddle on the left behind the steering wheel - it takes the "thinking time" out of the automatic gearbox, (which is great most of the time), out of the equation. Then change up when you want to by using the right paddle behind the steering wheel. Or, just floor the accelerator pedal whe you want to overtake! My SD4 just takes off!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry, it's got to be that (fantastic) auto gearbox. My Discovery 3 had it too, and it's great. I'm not biased one way or the other.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses on the manual vs auto question - sounds like nobody has had any major issues with the auto.
It's hard not to get hooked up on 0-60 times, but I suspect they are less relevant to real-world performance than, say, 0-30 or 40-60 (overtaking) - anybody know those (or other) figures? I drove the manual and auto back-to-back and it certainly didn't feel like the auto was significantly quicker. Same engine after all...
Quite interested in the implications (if any) for business use, coming under the magic 160g CO2 figure. I recall reading a post from somebody saying that it doubled what they could claim, but don't know if that was only if the vehicle is solely for commercial use?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Eodman,
You need to explain what you mean by business use, and the co2 emissions. Then I can explain.

Whether you own the car and claim a mileage rate, or you have the Evoque as your company changes the answer.

A company car is taxed on the emissions on a sliding scale, in the current tax year the highest emissions are taxed at 35% on 225 g/km. Next year the limits are lowered as they are every year and emmissions of 220g/km will be at 35%. A 160g/km petrol will be taxed at 22% of the list price in this tax year, 23% from April 2012, and 24% from April 2013. Diesel cars have a 3% surcharge, so this years rate would be 25%. (Note the annual change is a goverment thing that the Labour Government brought in when it changed the car tax rules to an emissions basis to get us all into eco friendly cars).

If you are claiming a mileage, for bsiness use in your own car you can claim 45p per mile for the first 10,000 business miles in a year, and 25p thereafter, without any regard for the emissions, subject to your companies overriding rates.

You have been mis-advised!

·
Registered
43 Posts
This will be my first Range Rover and I was weighing up between manual and auto.
Although the manual is less expensive to purchase and lower running costs, I believe the auto will give me a better driving experience.

Must admit my previous two vehicles have had continuously variable transmissions which have spoilt me a little and the last onealso has adaptive cruise control.The adaptive cruise control is a great gadget but only gets used when travelling distances.

If the Evoque had adaptive cruise control then I would have had no hesitation in getting the auto.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Sooty and yes, sounds like I was misled. I would just be reclaiming mileage for business use since buying as a company car doesn't look tax-efficient right now.

Still hoping to hear from some stick shifters about their experiences and recommendations - surely somebody out there's bought a manual...? How's the stop/start that everybody was so suspicious of, and is the economy anything like the optimistic figure in the brochure?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Don't even start on MPG there are loads of threads on that. All I can say is the auto is a dream, shifting up and down with the paddles is great, used it on my Lexus is, the rx was continuous shift and that delivered loads of umph. The RRE SD4 auto delivers as good.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi.
I am a stick-shifter. If you want to put it like that! Sooty is a manual....

I replied to a query last week saying I love driving a manual. Very occassionally, when stuck in city traffic it fleetingly crosses my mind that an automatic would be useful for a town dweller, but I love my manual!

Much has been written on the fuel economy and it really stinks! I've done 3,500 miles in two months, and I cannot get near the MPG.

I've decided to drive really carefully to see if I can get near the MPGand despite doing most of my miles on open road and motorways, even cruising at 56mph, I can only average 39...

I did think the 56 would be hard to achieve and would be happy with mid 40's but I've only had one tank average near that, and that was when I was forced to drive 100 miles down the M6 at 50mph as I had used the puncture repair kit, and you're not allowed over 50mph on the repair!

As for the 'stop-start' I love it. Lots of grumbles from passengers who say, you wait until it wont start and you're sitting at a junction.... I'm lucky that it only cuts out maybe once on the way to work butthree or four time on the way home, but I love it.Nice smooth start when you depress the clutch. Also, if you release the footbrake, and roll forward slowly in traffic,the enginejumps into life then too, as you have no power steering withoutthe engine.When the engine is cold it doesn't cut out. As I say, I really like it, but it isn't for everyone.

The day I picked the car up I drove straight to London so I asked the dealer how to turn it off if I got stuck on the M25..it's easy, the button is within reach of my middle finger when on the gear stick!

Re the tax, I could have bought it through my company, but it isn't worth it, I own it myself and reclaim business miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks - good to hear. I was beginning to think that manual owners were a small underground group with a secret handshake.

I really liked the manual drive but shame about the economy. Makes you wonder how they got 'combined' figures so far off anything achievable in the real world.

·
Registered
26 Posts
OK, i am coming out of the closet. I love driving manual and also wanted maximum MPG, so I ordered an SD4 Pure manual last September to be delivered end March. Had a test drive and experienced the stop-start which was fine - and if you want to you can switch it off. I dont buy into the arguments that a car of this calibre has to be auto; or people who can afford Range Rover don't worry about MPG.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've ordered a manual too - to be totally straight I wanted an auto (having personally owned many) and concluded after a test drive that the Aisin Warner auto transmission wasn't in the same league as rest of the car. It's a 'box out of theFord family parts bin and is shared with the Volvo XC90- something I'm certain that LR will address before long- itjust wasn't refined enough to justify having - it was to be a personal purchase at this point too.
I then discovered that I could have an Evoque as a company car (exceedingly good rates through Arval)and with the manual Co2 being at 149 the tax burden was really quite acceptable so I went an got a test drive of an SD4 with a stick and was massively impressed - and ordered one. The tax position (in the next three tax years)and having all the maintenancewithtyres that will probably need replacing in sets of 4 included made the decision a 'no brainer' compared with the 'buy it myself' route.

Fuel economy concerns are an issue - I do a lot of business miles and the break-even point is 41 mpg.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've ordered a manual also , having taken the auto for a test drive and then immediately the manual there was a clear favourite. Everyone has different preferences . Mine is the manual . I feel more in control of the car when driving and I thought it felt faster . I am still waiting on delivery and very much looking forward to a prompt delivery, fingers are crossed!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Stray my break even is about 38 I reckon and I don't get it very often, 34 more the ave on auto. Be very interested to see what you get with a manual as i too do a lot of miles. Have to say, having changed from an auto Merc CLS with 7 speed box, I find the LRE 6 speed very smooth. Sometimes hangs on to a gear too long before upchange but that is nothing more than a niggle, easily remedied by paddle shift which is great fun

1 - 18 of 18 Posts