Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
Evoque, 2014, Manual, Diesel
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

This is my first post and it’s a shame it’s on such a bad note. My wife has just got off the phone to the Police as she for some unknown reason woke up as someone was sitting in the drivers seat of her evoque. How and why she did that I’ll never know, as we have shutters up and you can’t see out or in. She never heard any noise either, must be a sixth sense?

Anyway the scum bags have managed to get in the car, open it and do what I don’t know. I’ve literally run out in my shorts with my baseball bat, but they were long gone on their toes.

The car does not have keyless entry, yet does have keyless stop and start. We always doulble lock it on the fob. I’ve looked inside and can’t see that they’ve had the obd port open or accessed it. No windows were broken and the door does not like it’s been forced open either. The alarm never sounded either. Both sets of keys are in the house.

How have they managed to gain entry to the car? It sits on my drive, I’ve now blocked it with my van so it can’t be nicked tonight. I’m concerned that they will be back and take the car. Any ideas what to do to stop them?

I’m thinking to buy a stop lock and get cctv up. Anything else?

Thanks for your replies and advice.

·
Registered
2016 TD4 180 HSE MY17
60 Posts
Rumour has it that thieves try to get close to your house, e.g. front door because the keys could just very well be inside just behind the door. They then use a repeater (signal strenght extending) to get the signal to your car and that way able to open it from a greater distance, without the key nearby.
How true or possible it is I don't know, but sounds plausible to me.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,028 Posts
I think that only works on keyless entry models @Biker

Reactions: PhilB

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,028 Posts
Did the alarm not go off ?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Even if you don't have keyless your keys will still be "active" as in talking to the car.
If they weren't then you wouldn't have keyless start.
Trouble is security is always playing catch up as the thieves are always looking at new methods.
As a belt and braces approach with your steering wheel lock (always a good visual deterrent) I'd keep your keys at least 15 metres away from the car and in a metal tin/Faraday pouch.

Reactions: XZ4

·
Registered
2013 L538 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
2,103 Posts
Oh no, what a shocking start to 2021!
The Evoque is supposed to be pretty secure if the keys have not been cloned.
Are you sure you locked it??
These scumbag chancers look for telltale signs like mirrors not folded in or no flashing red led on the dash to identify cars they can enter silently with no alarm or damage.
Then it’s just a bit of electronic jiggery pokery with your OBD to steal your pride and joy.

ps Welcome to the EOC, I see it’s 2014 but which model of Evoque are you driving?

·
Registered
Dynamic 3 door, 2013, SD4, santorini black with pimento and ebony
329 Posts
They are indeed scumbags and would have benefited from you explaining the error of their ways. 😡😡

·
Super Moderator
8,779 Posts
That's so annoying. As said keep the keys in a Faraday bag or tin overnight, well away from windows & doors. It could be they cloned the key signal while out shopping and followed to see where you were living. A steering wheel lock is a good visual deterrent too overnight or when parked. For the alarm not to have gone off shows they had access to turn it off via the key. Have you had the car in a dodgy garage for service or tyres recently where they could have cloned it? Even if you forget to lock it, it should self lock after about 20 seconds I thin k it is but it won't set the alarm. Good idea to park your van across the end of the drive. I've installed a Ring video camera & light to cover my drive/car. At least they didn't get away with it or cause damage

·
Registered
Evoque, 2014, Manual, Diesel
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. No the alarm did not go off and the reason it didn’t go off as my wife says she saw the lights flashing which is what happens when you unlock it which now suggests that they have either got hold of the frequency it works on or have cloned a key. In respect to dodgy garages, no it only goes to Land Rover and funny enough it’s booked in for the 6th.

So today I’ve been thinking about how they could have got the frequency if that’s what they do or cloned the key. Prior to xmas we went to a drive in cinema twice at the same place with the kids as we’ve never done such an even before and thought it would be cool. Now as you all know the system shuts itself down every five mins or so and you have to start it up once more and I remarked at the time it’s like a Range Rover convention in here as everyone was doing the same thing! So it got me thinking, they know our address, they know the car and it’s Reg, and maybe someone there has a laptop scanning or doing whatever it is that they do to get what they need cos low and behold within two weeks someone is in the car trying to nick it. I live in a nice area, no cars on the street all on drives with extremely low crime rates. Is it a coincidence? Or just bad luck?

So today we’ve bought two of the key bags, a sterling lock and I’m just about to look up cctv and a parking post just to make it more secure as I’ve a few cars on my drive!

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,610 Posts
Not easy to work out what might have happened here...

When you were 'restarting' at the drive-in then that wouldn't be the code for the door locks - unless the 'code' to start the car and locks is the same. But if they had managed to grab the code that way, why did they access the OBD as they wouldn't need it as they had the code to start the car?

·
Registered
Evoque MY20 First Edition in Seoul Pearl Silver
1,809 Posts
I'd suggest keys in a tin when at home for your model, doesn't matter where in the house you keep the tin, but not somewhere obvious in case they enter your home looking for car keys.
An immobiliser, 'Ghost' are a very good option, as car cannot be started unless they know the unique code, that you set, by a sequence of different button or switch operations before allowing car to start.
The only fault i can find with the Ghost immobiliser is that it wont let you start your car remotely for setting climate control.

·
Registered
2016 Range Rover Evoque HSE Dynamic Lux
27 Posts
Hi,
I’m due to pick up my RR Evoque HSE Dynamic Lux (fingers crossed for Wednesday).
I’m going to keep the keys in a Faraday pouch (in my bedroom, not in the hallway or kitchen).
One thing I will get immediately is the Bulldog EuroClamp EM4x4SS for under £100. They’re a visual deterrent, Can’t drive off with one on, and would take a nuclear weapon to get it off!

·
Registered
MY20.5 Range Rover Evoque (L551) First Edition P250 in Nolita Grey on a 70 plate
590 Posts
Did I read somewhere that the new Evoque keyless fobs have beefed up security, in that they go to sleep when not used or moved?

·
Registered
17 Posts
There has been a spate of landrover thefts around our area (south sheffield/nottinghamshire border). I know of at least 6 Discovery 4s a range rover and an evoque going in the last couple of weeks including my friends D4 which was double locked and keys in a faraday box. We have a 2013 D4 and our evoque dynamic lux, i have disabled keyless entry on the evoque (d4 hasn't got it) and moved the OBD connector away from its usual place to up behind the dash on both cars. It won't stop them if they are determined but will at least slow them down. Plan to get a security post fitted and possibly a ghost immobiliser if we end up keeping them

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
A machine gun mounted in the front bedroom window is also a good deterrent 👀🤔

·
Super Moderator
8,779 Posts
If you need a Marksman on a machine gun, give me a call 🤣

Reactions: marsie and DKZ5745

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
You could also try connecting the bodywork to the live mains every night before you go to bed, that would work too 👍

·
Registered
2016 Range Rover Evoque HSE Dynamic Lux
27 Posts
My car comes with the Land Rover Secure Tracker fitted (obviously, wouldn’t actually prevent someone taking it), but does anyone know what the monthly subscription to the service is? ... Just curious.

·
Registered
416 Posts
You could also try connecting the bodywork to the live mains every night before you go to bed, that would work too 👍
Unfortunately DK, if they did get electrocuted, you’d be charged with GBH or manslaughter

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
But they wouldn’t do it again - so result 👍

Reactions: Veteran
1 - 20 of 64 Posts