Evoque Owners Club banner

101 - 120 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
2017 HSE Dynamic Lux in Aintree Green, Surround and Park Assist, Heated Wheel
136 Posts
Physically there is no reason why your car should not get the upgraded smartphone pack, but first you need to get the (N377) incontrol touch pro update. You can check on Topix if this campaign is outstanding on your Evoque. That is something the dealer cannot refuse to do.
Installing the smartphone pack itself plus installing the hardware/cabling on my Evoque PLUS updating my Car Configuration File was done by an independant in less than 2 hours! Go figure.
The dealer says there are no outstanding campaigns on my car. Could it be I have the upgraded software and just not the smartphone pack? How can I check what software my car currently has?

·
Registered
432 Posts
The original software had a Home Screen with 4 quadrants or blocks.........the new software has 3 equal bars running vertically down the screen ......you can also check in settings where there should be a software update section from the main settings screen....ie this was the SOTA option that was part of this big upgrade.........

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ok, I’m totally old software then!

·
Registered
Range Rover Evoque HSE Dynamic MY17 | Black | Black Pack | Smartphone Pack | SOTA | 4WD | Auto
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
The new one is so much cleaner 👌🏼

·
Registered
136 Posts
The new one is so much cleaner 👌🏼
Yeah, it looks slicker. Cars not going in until 8th March now so have a week extra to figure it all out and get them to do it lol

·
Registered
432 Posts
Not sure if you have a diesel but there where three main "updates"

- service update for diesels ie adjusted the oil dilution % before triggering an oil change required notification. I think it also allowed split oil and "other" service intervals ie so when a free interim oil change is completed they can reset the service interval without affecting the time based service items

- "front of house" software update as above posts from "4 blocks" to "3 bars" .....this is a lot slicker and was a massive upgrade to the system also allowing SOTA (Software Over The Air) updates ie this front of house software has been regularly updated since the original without requiring a dealer visit

- Smartphone pack - this requies the updated "front of house" "3 bar" software to be installed first......it adds apple carplay and android auto functionality which really is as good as any other car on the market currently.

The first was "free" but to JLR benefit otherwise they would be doing a lot more free interim services on diesels :rolleyes:

The second was a complete surprise as it brought the ageing Evoque software in line with the rest of the current JLR range...it was free at the time. However at first all cars eligible for this would have been under the original 3 years warranty (or there abouts) eg I had mine done 1 month before its 3rd birthday as I was worried that after warranty they may not apply the update "for free"..........They did not publicise this to owners and I found out by chance about it.....my dealer knew nothing about it and I had to "educate" educate them....That implies to me that a lot of qualifying cars will not have had it done through ignorance of the owners (not their fault, nobody told them they could have it) unless the dealers did install it on a regular service without request (I doubt it) ??
I have no idea if they will apply this to a car outside of warranty for free now......or if they will if its continued to be serviced by JLR or are happy to install it on any qualifying car at any time (that would be unusual for JLR as a) its not to their benefit, b) its not safety related, c) it toes up resources at dealerships whihc they have to pay for if the customer does not) ? Has anyone had this update applied outside of warranty ? ....outside of the JLR service network ?

The third was also a surprise but...it was a cost option (I think from memory c£750) but JLR offered it free to "qualifying vehicles". They did not specify what those qualifyuing requirements where but its been assumed it meant those cars with the hardware to install it. That has been established as MY17> cars with the "Touchscreen Pro" screen (no physcial buttons at the side) and the Sim card slot located in the central armrest cubby (not all MY17> cars have this) nb MY17 cars does not mean cars on a "17" plate or registered in 2017 (ie late '66 plate) but cars with the manufacture year 2017....these are made at the factory from some point in the year before (usually around September I think with the first cars registered on the road in around October but it can vary).......MY indicated the specificion year of
the car, not the year it was actually made or registered on the road.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Response from customer services received today:

Unfortunately the Apple CarPlay upgrades have currently been postponed as we are always looking to improve the services that we provide, we do not currently have a date of when the upgrade will be available. Once the upgrade is available again we will be able to carry out the upgrade if your vehicle is eligible for it.

I have replied asking for them to clarify why not updating software would not improve the service provided!

not happy to say the least!
Paul

·
Registered
Range Rover Evoque HSE Dynamic MY17 | Black | Black Pack | Smartphone Pack | SOTA | 4WD | Auto
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Which franchise?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Bottom line is the upgrade takes up too much resources, they are presumably more limited by covid and therefore it would make sense for them to stop services like this which take up the wrong services......there was never an obligation for them to offer it in the first place.....I was stunned when they did.........I’m the last person to take JLR side in an argument but in this case I would have zero argument I think.......anyone looking for a 2017/18 car really should make sure this is installed before purchase I think given their current stance on it......ie without the newer interface and smartphone pack I don’t think I would have kept the car .....

......I’ve been playing around with the new google home nest integration ....before if I wanted to put the heating on early whilst travelling home I would need to get my phone and start the nest app......now that google has bought nest it is fully integrated so to test in the car today I just asked google via the car to set the temperature at home and it did it :ROFLMAO: .......I’m definately going to have to give the car a name now:rolleyes:

Reactions: Col_C

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
I agree. If it isn’t available, it isn’t available. They haven’t done anything wrong especially with the terms around the promotion. As much as that hurts to admit haha I may be one of the last ones to get it! 😲😲😲

·
Registered
442 Posts
There's a HUGE range of spec options between a base model and top of the range (and generally this is reflected in the price even when buying used), add to that the changes year on year and the whole thing is a minefield. By the time I bought my second Evoque I knew what I was looking for.
Unfortunately the average car buyer just sees an Evoque - "Ooo I like that" and buys relatively blind, dealers often won't be particularly helpful as they just want to shift their stock. It's often only when visiting this forum that owners realise not all Evoques are equal (and they may or may not have got a good deal).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Bottom line is the upgrade takes up too much resources, they are presumably more limited by covid and therefore it would make sense for them to stop services like this which take up the wrong services......there was never an obligation for them to offer it in the first place.....I was stunned when they did.........I’m the last person to take JLR side in an argument but in this case I would have zero argument I think.......anyone looking for a 2017/18 car really should make sure this is installed before purchase I think given their current stance on it......ie without the newer interface and smartphone pack I don’t think I would have kept the car .....

......I’ve been playing around with the new google home nest integration ....before if I wanted to put the heating on early whilst travelling home I would need to get my phone and start the nest app......now that google has bought nest it is fully integrated so to test in the car today I just asked google via the car to set the temperature at home and it did it :ROFLMAO: .......I’m definately going to have to give the car a name now:rolleyes:
You know, if they turned around and said that due to COVID they have postponed the upgrade then I would be more amenable to it. Also, if it wasn’t still on their website saying it’s complimentary and available I would also accept it. But neither of those are the case.

As for not buying it if it isn’t upgraded then why would I worry about that with the above comment of it being on the website?
At the end of the day, let’s ignore the smartphone pack here they won’t update my software to the latest version with SOTA which would allow me to get updates without clogging up bays so I don’t get their stance on it there.

Am I asking for too much? Maybe. But given the price of these cars I think I’m within my rights to ask for something advertised on their website as available. We’ll see what happens...

·
Registered
136 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
You know, if they turned around and said that due to COVID they have postponed the upgrade then I would be more amenable to it. Also, if it wasn’t still on their website saying it’s complimentary and available I would also accept it. But neither of those are the case.

As for not buying it if it isn’t upgraded then why would I worry about that with the above comment of it being on the website?
At the end of the day, let’s ignore the smartphone pack here they won’t update my software to the latest version with SOTA which would allow me to get updates without clogging up bays so I don’t get their stance on it there.

Am I asking for too much? Maybe. But given the price of these cars I think I’m within my rights to ask for something advertised on their website as available. We’ll see what happens...
I can understand the annoyance and the contradiction that is the website still being live.......I would make sure you have a screenshot of that to prove it was live when you asked.........the software update to the new version I did wonder how they would offer that, if at all out of warranty........I;m not surprised the are treating that and the smartphone pack the same as they both tie up workshop bays and technicians .......I’d keep chipping away at JLR customer services .......if you get no joy ask for it to be escalated to the executive team......you will get allocated a personal contact there you can talk it through with.......just direct him to the website, I bet they don’t even realise its still live........

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Again, they say on “eligible” vehicles - from an advertising and compliance point of view they have have not and do not need to publicly state what classes as “eligible”. It gets them around this type of situation. They can change what defines “eligible” whenever they want. They could turn around and say at the time you asked, only cars manufactured in August 2017 are eligible, for example.

I understand your frustration, I’ve been there. But honestly mate, don’t let it get to you and just let it go, unfortunately there will only be one winner. Good luck!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
That was JLR customer services direct. The franchise that I called was Pentland Land Rover.
Is then even a legit JLR dealer? What is their website mate
?

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,248 Posts
Pentland Jaguar/Land Rover have quite a few branches around Scotland. Part of a bigger group.

·
Registered
2016 TD4 180 HSE MY17
81 Posts
The campaign (N377) incontrol touch pro update is a pre-requisite for the Smartphone pack. This campaign had a sunset date of end January 2021 on Topix. So not sure how you would be able to force their hand.
Also, the N377 is likely the item that occupies the most computer time. The actual Smartphone pack is very quick.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've just re-read that now on the computer rather than my phone and that is thoroughly impressive!! Scary, yet impressive lol :ROFLMAO:

Got a further, more descriptive, response from JLR this morning:

"Whilst we appreciate that your vehicle is in need of a software update, Land Rover made the difficult decision to halt the continuation of updates for Apple CarPlay. This is not COVID related, however is to ensure that the software downloaded to the vehicle does not cause consequential concerns to the software within your vehicle.

I understand that this may be disappointing given the fact you would like to update the system, however we are ensuring that update is suitable to release back to our vehicles in the near future. I apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause.

If the software is currently not available to download to your vehicle, I can only recommend speaking with your preferred Land Rover retailer who can make contact with you as soon as the update is released back into the network who can then make the necessary arrangements with yourself."

If they had said something along those lines the first time round I wouldn't have been quite so peeved...will just have to wait and see what happens.
To be fair, the current software I have isn't all that bad. It's a lot better than the 8" pre-facelift software my last Evoque had and will (hopefully) be a nice treat at some point when it does get upgraded. Can't really use the car just now anyway with lockdown etc so that takes some of the sting away..

Going to focus on the rest of the car and its good points....like I figured out how to use the gesture tailgate without looking like a complete nugget yesterday :D:cool:

101 - 120 of 142 Posts