Evoque Owners Club banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
As the title, if the car is cold, often there is a very loud moaning from the rear brakes as you are trying to reverse. So loud that people look at you wondering whats going on. I'm thinking pads sticking a bit? As soon as you are driving and a bit of heat is generated they are fine.
Its in the dealers today. Last night when dropping it off the receptionist said something along the lines of they all do that!
Of course it hasn't done it for them and an inspection has revealed all looks normal.

Anyone else suffered from this, I have done a search and turned nothing up.

On the plus side, the other noise I described to them from the engine end, they have diagnosed as a faulty DPF and are replacing it under warranty and they are replacing the heater blower fan as it stopped working a couple of weeks ago. Although I had cured it and it was still working, that wasnt a problem :)
Mine also makes that sound......only when cold and only when reversing. I've kind of learnt to live with it as it happens say only half the time.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
Put a video up, are you guys cars as bad?

😮 now that is loud, sounds like the brakes are really stuck on. Have you tried moving forward first or perhaps stamping on the brakes after first releasing the hand brake?

·
Super Moderator
10,474 Posts
Only heard mine from inside the car but don't think it was as loud as that :oops:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
That is outside the LR garage after they had inspected them to say nothing wrong!! The receptionist was standing next to me with a red face :mad:

As I said earlier. LR official take on it is that it is acceptable that under certain conditions brake noise will occur. The dealers are very apologetic as their hands are tied by JLR. In fairness they are dealing with the other issues.

A very tasty email has now been fired off to JLR with a copy of a very noisy video!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Waahay, New discs and pads being fitted today. LR footing the bill.
The service dept did say that all the parts are the same materials so will probably be the same. The way I see it is that if the noises do return, it gives me a foothold in the argument that the design is wrong and needs to be addressed properly!

·
Registered
134 Posts
There is a 'Anti rattle shim' at the back of the pads, it's made of a spring steel (it applies a slight pressure to the pad to stop it vibrating or making a noise), an old trick is to bend it slightly before assembly to apply more pressure to the pads in bad cases of noisy brakes.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I would have thought LR wouldn't be replacing discs and pads if the cure was that simple.
Yes years ago I have done that to cars. Anyway I'm long past doing my own maintenance. My motorbike maybe but not cars :D

21 - 32 of 32 Posts