Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw that my local dealership were offering test drives to existing Land Rover owners (not meunfortunately). Any one get a drive?

·
Registered
56 Posts
yes James
Went to the LR whole day driving experience

They just gave us the keys with a pre programmed route around Lambourn then off we went with 24 other evoques for about 1 hour

Breakfast and lunch all thrown in

Then on the park assist track after that on to the steep hill ramp

the vehicle is the mutts better than our BMW X6

·
Registered
52 Posts
Had a drive in both the Manual and Auto Dynamic yesterday. I have to say I was very impressed with both cars, the manual box is sharp and responsive where the auto was smooth and rather more lazy as a driving experience.

As you would expect with Demo's the cars were laden with gadgets, my initial view on a few of them was;

Park Assist - great gizmo but how often would you use it? You have to activate it before the space so in normal driving you see a space and think I can get in there. With PA you would have to reverese to before the space, activate PA, then drive past is again and hopefully then be driven into the space. Not sure the activiating before bit is practical in day to day use.

Dual View Screen - We found it a bit tricky to operate, but I am sure you would get used to it. The wife says the TV was fuzzy when driving as well!

Panoramic Roof - best £500 you could spend. The electric screen is all so cool and the extra light is great.

Tinted Windows - felt as though I wanted them. Was the only thing I felt I wanted, I think because it gives a good look to the profile of the car.

Stereo - We had both the standard and upgraded stereo and you could certainly tell the difference with the 850w meridian set up, although I am not sure it was a £1000 improvement. The standard setup was excellent. As my missus said, I have not spent a £1000 on the home entertainment system so why spend it on the cars??

DAB Radio (standard I think)- The future.

KeylessStart (standard I think) - The future.

Overall the car was superb in every way and I left the drives feeling very pleased with the gamble I had made on ordering a car. I am still at a loss on the substantive differences between the Pure model and the Dynamic/Prestige models, I know there are some but I am not sure they are £8k worth!! I overheard a chap on the showroom (who turned up in a bentley convertible) saying exactly the same thing.

Looking forward to delivery, when my dealer can furnish me with a date!!

·
Premium Member
10,626 Posts
Managed to go out for about 2 hours, in a Prestige SD4 Auto 5dr with Moon roof £800 option, Prestige SD4 Manual Coupe and the SI4 Coupe Auto.

1st impression was of the high quality finish and comfort levels. Forward visibilty very good, large wing mirrors did not present any viewing difficulties at junctions.

It was very odd getting used to the reversing camera, in the coupe it took some getting used to the very limited rear view with the narrow rear screen, but got used to it eventually.

Performance was excellent, although was planning on getting the auto I was really impressed with the manual, so much so that we will be going for the manual.

Keyless, is a nice touch, but what was weird in the manual is the auto parking brake, not sure that I fully understood it but the LR guy said as the stop start was operating the parking brake must have been on, no warning light on in the dash though.

3/5dr. Access in and out of the 5dr was OK, getting into the rear of the coupe was not too difficult, but getting out was much more awkward.

Anyhow, I had gone in thinking of ordering a 5dr SD4 Auto Pure in Barrolo Black and left considering a Coupe SD4 Manual in Silver.

The wife and I have got to have a harder look at the configurator before the weekend.

One thing for sure was that having driven 3 models we ruled out the petrol fairly quickly, loved the diesel and had huge smiles after the drive, wishing we could pick one up immediately, no chance of that, were are looking at delivery next May.

Fantastic day topped buy arranging a Land Rover Experience for us all.

Edited by: Evo-king

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hey Leesug,

I'm considering the PURE SD4 5 door with Tech pack and Xenons, I also can't see how there can be an almost £8K premium in price between Pure and Prestige, glad to see others are thinking the same way as I thought I was missing something. Test drive tomorrow morning and then hopefully place the order but being Indian I'll be trying for a deal, after all LR is an Indian company so it would be rude not to haggle.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Got appointments and test drives coming out of all oriffices at the moment...not much time to do anything else.....really really busy with it...without the Evoque we are flat out anyways during a REG month

No grumble ofcourse just addsa bit more pressure

Edited by: Mortz

·
Registered
54 Posts
I attended a fleet event of 50 Evoques this week.
Drove all models and saw all colours.

The red looks stunning, esp with a black roof - however as red cars age, they always look naff in my experience, so that puts me off red. Still nice though!

White is cool, and looks like the concept car, esp nice with a dark interior and pan roof, Black is classy too, esp with a light interior. I think lighter colours suit the car better though.

Don't go dark paint and dark interior, esp in 3 door, as it is very, very dark in the back.

Pan roof is the must have accessory, it transforms the interior of the car.

Silver is ok, but lots of cars around in silver, doesn't stand out.

My favourite colour of them all was Orkney Grey with a black roof, Ambiance interior and Pan Roof - looked absolutely stunning, esp with smoke finish alloy wheels.

So that's the colour sorted out, but 3 or 5 door?

I was firmly convinced from the pictures that 3 door coupe was the way to go, but in the metal the 5 door is much better proportioned, chunkier somehow than the 3 door, which can look a bit bread vannish. The killer is trying to get in the back of the 3 door is a complete pain in the ass! So 5 door it is!

Which Engine, easy, the petrol is fast but auto only and very thirsty. Auto gearbox hunts up and down all the time and is not happy holding onto one gear, a real pain. 20 mpg on motorway at 80 mph, no thanks!

Diesel is the way to go, I only drove the 190ps version (by the way the 150ps version only has one exhaust pipe), but this is the best engine, nice with auto, but better with the manual gearbox in my opinion. I suspect the 150 ps version will feel under powered.

Now the controversial bit, the car drove very well, handled well, was very quiet, felt very luxurious, and every bit a Range Rover, but.....how can I put this, well it certainly did not feel like it had 190 ponies under the bonnet! It was a bit tardy in the performance department, which was a real disappointment!

That and the prices, 'cos the models to go for are the Prestige or Dynamic, Prestige has the edge for me, much more luxurious inside and the adjustable suspension on the Dynamic is far to hard.

So £40,000 plus for a car that looks great, good in the snow, handles great on and off road, but lacks va,va,voom!

Hmmm, not sure on the Evoque now, I will miss the power and performance of my 3 litre V6 238 BHP 40 mpg Diesel E Class Coupe me thinks!

I wonder if anyone will do a performance kit for it to increase the power to say 230 bhp?

So that's my opinion, hope that helps you all to choose colurs, models and engines - if you are used to these type of vehicles I'm sure the performance will be adequate (just) for youtoo!

RBD914

·
Registered
30 Posts
Test drove a Prestige SD4 earlier this week (I've got a Pure SD4 on order). My current car is a Mini Cooper, so there was a bit of culture shock, not least that it took a few minutes to get used to driving an automatic - my left foot kept pushing down on a non-existent clutch! I'd read the manual online, though, so at least had an idea what all the dash buttons did. ;)

I was impressed, which was a relief considering that I'm about to splash 35 grand on an Evoque. Really liked the elevated seating position, and while it's obviously not as instantly manoeuvrable as a Mini it didn't feel top-heavy or sluggish. Throttle response from a standstill (eg, at a roundabout) was a bit hesitant, though - too light and it didn't seem to want to get moving, but any extra boot made it lunge forward as if it had a rocket up its backside. Still, the first time it happened I got to test the ABS, which worked just fine!

There was plenty of power on the open road - it reached 70 so quickly I was already past the limit before I thought to glance down and check. Oops! Good job I wasn't passing a Gatso. The ride was nice and smooth, even on a fairly horrible country road around Christchurch, and although I was a bit nervous at first about the extra width (8" more than my Mini) on narrow lanes I quickly got used to it. The seat was comfortable, although I think it'll probably take a couple of days to find the perfect driving position.

The hardest part now will be waiting to get my own Evoque! It's supposedly being built next week, so hopefully the delivery date won't be too long now.

·
Premium Member
10,626 Posts
RBD914 said:
Diesel is the way to go, I only drove the 190ps version (by the way the 150ps version only has one exhaust pipe), but this is the best engine, nice with auto, but better with the manual gearbox in my opinion. I suspect the 150 ps version will feel under powered.

Now the controversial bit, the car drove very well, handled well, was very quiet, felt very luxurious, and every bit a Range Rover, but.....how can I put this, well it certainly did not feel like it had 190 ponies under the bonnet! It was a bit tardy in the performance department, which was a real disappointment!

RBD914
Now that's really interesting, because last weekend I drove both SD4's, the manual and auto and was taken by the manuals performance, I currently drive the 7speed 320cdi auto MB and was not disappointed with its performance.

That is what we are going for.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Good choice Evo-King - what colour and spec did you go for, 3 or 5 door?
Mine would be manual diesel, 5 door in orkney grey prestige with pan roof!

RBD914

·
Premium Member
10,626 Posts
I have mentioned on some earlier posts, It will be a SD4 Manual, Indus Silver, Moon roof, Pure Style and Tech Pack (Sales rep advised this as lack of Tech Pack likely to hit residual value), Privacy Glass, but we are still in debate over 3 or 5dr.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nice choice, 5 door looks better in my opinion, far more practical too - and cheaper!
Visited several dealers this week and most said that customers in the main ordered the 3 door but the majoritychanged their orders to the 5 door when they saw the car in the metal - interesting!

RBD914

·
Registered
361 Posts
RBD914 said:
Nice choice, 5 door looks better in my opinion, far more practical too - and cheaper!

Visited several dealers this week and most said that customers in the main ordered the 3 door but the majoritychanged their orders to the 5 door when they saw the car in the metal - interesting!

RBD914

Agree on your comment....had 2 customers who ordered a 3 door based of the " sleek look" then changed to 5 door once tested...lets face it....the 3 door looksmore "concept"and will suit the single male and female....the 5 door is ofcoursethe more pratical option for the masses...LR have statedthey expect more 5's than 3's to be sold

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just drove a sd4 190 bhp prestige with auto box and have to say I was impressed with the comfort, handling and quality of materials.
Also looked inside a 3 door model in pure trim and do not see how they can be so much difference cost wise.

Much prefer the look of the 5 door and so much more practical,I found getting in and out of the rear to be a pain in 3 door model.

The auto box did seem to be searching for the right gear at times and I will need to try a manual to compare.

I thought beforehand about the engines size and wether it would be powerful enough and Ido agree with earlier post regarding the engines power asI found it ok but not great, but wonder if the 3.0d from the Jaguar xf could be put into it as this has so much more pulling power and is ecconomical.

personal prefrence would be 5 door sd4 190 pure in white with tech pack, panoramic roofand privacy glass.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts