Evoque Owners Club banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is all super interesting. So Android Studio may be a bit overkill for me as a designer; I avoid code wherever I can and instead work closely with developers/engineers to 'build what I design' I guess. Probably too busy to commit to learning it! I wonder if one of the many WYSIWYG app builders would suffice? I just noticed 'Bubble' has Spotify and Google Maps integrations built in for example.

If you did build something though, I'd be interested in installing it on my own device ;)

With some effort, do you think you could actually end up building your own APK which could eventually map physical buttons in the car to different actions, create a static nav that remained visible when other apps are open, or maybe even a swipe/gesture feature that brought up a nav menu, possibly integrate better with things like the factory reversing camera, etc, etc (basically all the issues we've been mentioning!)?

Oh and maybe even somehow displaying some of the original menu screens alongside a UI that complements the InControl UI theming that you are building, instead of emulating the buttons as these head units do?
Hi Dale did you use the factory gps antenna with yours? i noticed you have many of the same factory features as mine like the auto park etc so i guess you had the dual shark fin on the roof too. Did you install the little speaker that came with the head unit?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
quick question my 2016 evoque has the factory gps etc its a hse dynamic lux it has the bosch unit. do i need to use the additional gps sensor or is there a way of connecting the factory GPS sensor to the unit?
It depends. If you want to retain your OEM screen with GPS, and you don't want to the OEM connector into a fakra C type connector ... then yes, you will need to use a third party GPS module. Although don't expect the same signal quality with the one they supply. Even the £10 ones off Amazon are better.

I was really hoping that the cars shark fin gps antenna could be used.
Same as above. I have the twin fin on mine, it has 2 fakra connectors. I am guessing that these are for (a) GPS and (b) 3G/4G. I thought about the same, but didn't wan't remove GPS from the OEM unit.

Also what is the little speaker actually for that comes bundled with the unit?
The little speaker is for the maps/navigation voice only, nothing else. I haven't got a clue why they did this. Basically all your music, video, radio and other sounds comes out of your car's speakers. But for some completely and utterly bonkers reason, the manufacturer decided to output the nav voice to the 0.000001w speaker. What makes matters worse, is that when Google Maps starts talking, e.g. "Take the third exit at the roundabout" ... the first 2 words would come out of the car speakers, and then switch to the tiny speaker for the rest of the sentence. It sounded awful. I launched mine up the garden with my right boot. Then replaced it with one of the tweeters I had spare from my old Evoque door cards, 10 times clear and fuller sound. That said, I don't use their software now - so all 'sound' comes out of my car speakers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It depends. If you want to retain your OEM screen with GPS, and you don't want to the OEM connector into a fakra C type connector ... then yes, you will need to use a third party GPS module. Although don't expect the same signal quality with the one they supply. Even the £10 ones off Amazon are better.

Same as above. I have the twin fin on mine, it has 2 fakra connectors. I am guessing that these are for (a) GPS and (b) 3G/4G. I thought about the same, but didn't wan't remove GPS from the OEM unit.

The little speaker is for the maps/navigation voice only, nothing else. I haven't got a clue why they did this. Basically all your music, video, radio and other sounds comes out of your car's speakers. But for some completely and utterly bonkers reason, the manufacturer decided to output the nav voice to the 0.000001w speaker. What makes matters worse, is that when Google Maps starts talking, e.g. "Take the third exit at the roundabout" ... the first 2 words would come out of the car speakers, and then switch to the tiny speaker for the rest of the sentence. It sounded awful. I launched mine up the garden with my right boot. Then replaced it with one of the tweeters I had spare from my old Evoque door cards, 10 times clear and fuller sound. That said, I don't use their software now - so all 'sound' comes out of my car speakers.
Thanks so much for the reply. I've got mine installed now I was hoping it would be brighter it's quite dim the display. Also with mine there is no aux lead connection for the sound so I'm guessing it connects to Bluetooth but the car can't find it at the moment. So I've got it installed but no sound at all.
Your right their software is absoloutly horrendous that's for sure. Hopefully one day you publish yours

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Also with mine there is no aux lead connection for the sound so I'm guessing it connects to Bluetooth but the car can't find it at the moment. So I've got it installed but no sound at all.
That's the same on mine. The older ones had a physical aux cable which was routed to under the armrest in the centre console. The newer ones access the aux feed using their own loom. I have a CD/DVD player on mine. So it was a case of removing the OEM cable off the back of it, plugging one end off the new loom in to the back of the CD/DVD, the plugging the OEM cable into a branch of the new loom. That was explained anywhere, until I tracked down the manufacturer on WhatsApp. Until that point, I was without any audio for several days. But once I connected that, everything came to life (sound, aux, etc.). It doesn't use Bluetooth to connect ... it uses the supplied loom.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's the same on mine. The older ones had a physical aux cable which was routed to under the armrest in the centre console. The newer ones access the aux feed using their own loom. I have a CD/DVD player on mine. So it was a case of removing the OEM cable off the back of it, plugging one end off the new loom in to the back of the CD/DVD, the plugging the OEM cable into a branch of the new loom. That was explained anywhere, until I tracked down the manufacturer on WhatsApp. Until that point, I was without any audio for several days. But once I connected that, everything came to life (sound, aux, etc.).
Ahh ok yeah I've connected that I will try switching to aux if thst works thst will be great. I ended up using the supplied GPS and 4g but I may rip it all out and try getting an adapter to change the ones out the back of. The dvd unit to fit the screw type connection on the new display.

My reversing camera works when going into reverse and its the same type as the other chaos with the mic hole in the frame.

I was quite excited to get it as was hoping for a nice bright display as I've had to save some money so have traded in my tesla model 3 performance and got an evoque but the tesla screen is amazing. Was quite disappointed how dim this one was its only about the same brightness as the bosch one thst was in it. I had the dual view capacitive screen. Still can't get the button maps right from the 7 presets as they don't seem to change much.

All fun and games. I really appreciate your time to reply though

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Ahh ok yeah I've connected that I will try switching to aux if thst works thst will be great.
The Android unit will only play audio when the OEM 'Mode' is set to 'AUX'.

Reactions: paulg

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Was quite disappointed how dim this one was
Daft question but ... have you changed the default brightness in the stock android settings? And also, disabling Adaptive Brightness too. Mine was set to 75% when I received it, with adaptive brightness enabled. There are also other apps (Play Store) that can mimic a brighter screen too.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Still can't get the button maps right from the 7 presets as they don't seem to change much.
Been there, got the t-shirt 😒 There is sadly no science involved. There are 5 resolutions and 6 cars to try, a total of 30 combinations.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Brilliant that worked, was there ever a document which detailed what car type 1 to 7 actually was?
🤣 You've gotta be kidding ... I found no instructions, guidance, YouTube videos describing this. And I even spoke back and for with Robin (Merryway) the manufacturer for a week. And he wouldn't give me a straight answer. It's honestly like they designed the software on the way back from an all day sesh. And the lack of instructions (at all) is appauling.

Reactions: paulg

·
Registered
9 Posts
🤣 You've gotta be kidding ... I found no instructions, guidance, YouTube videos describing this. And I even spoke back and for with Robin (Merryway) the manufacturer for a week. And he wouldn't give me a straight answer. It's honestly like they designed the software on the way back from an all day sesh. And the lack of instructions (at all) is appauling.
Wouldn't be as bad if I didn't have to keep putting the password in every time to see if anything worked 😂😂 I have little faith in ever getting the auto park and the sensors buttons to work 😂 Atleast I have sound now. Thank you very much 😊

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Wouldn't be as bad if I didn't have to keep putting the password in every time to see if anything worked
I started by doing that, did my head in. But quickly found out you can switch between screens with that floating dot. Makes it lots quicker.
Basically ... OEM screen > Home screen > dot > reselect Vehicles choices > dot > reselect Home screen ... and so on ... x30 😉

I have little faith in ever getting the auto park and the sensors buttons to work
When buying these types of units, there is always compromise. There shouldn't be ... but there is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Do you happen to know which of the original connectors is for the GPS as in thinking of getting a fakra splitter to be able to use the roof gps aeriel. Also do you know if one of the antennas on the car can be used as a 4g aerial?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Do you happen to know which of the original connectors is for the GPS as in thinking of getting a fakra splitter to be able to use the roof gps aeriel.
Can't recall. But fakras for GPS are normally blue.

Also do you know if one of the antennas on the car can be used as a 4g aerial?
One of the fakras to the dual fin above the rear roof lining. See here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Brilliant thanks, I knkw there's a grey and a blue and thought it would be the blue but wasn't sure in land-rover used there own colour coding for items

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
If anyone has can post any photos of the pages in their InControl Pro Touch system ... that would be great 👍

I have noticed that most of Google images show the page name (e.g. EXTRA FEATURES) on the left, but some are with it on the right.

I am guessing the UK version has the page names in the top right of each screen, along with the Back button being in the lower right of the screen - making it easier for the driver.

Can anyone confirm?

Example below, left vs right:

·
Registered
532 Posts
You are correct.
And IIRC the owners handbook etc shows non-UK illustrations just to confuse us Brits. :LOL:

Reactions: slaine

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
You are correct.
And IIRC the owners handbook etc shows non-UK illustrations just to confuse us Brits. :LOL:
Spot on, thanks, Col 👍 Yes, I saw the JLR (UK) videos, they are all non-UK layout ... that's what confused me.
Cheers again!

Reactions: Col_C
41 - 59 of 59 Posts