Evoque Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
Evoque Dynamic Lux SD4 2.2 2015
12 Posts
I don't know how your OEM rear camera connected. Mine came up from the passenger side dash, connected to a black 2" box via a yellow RCA connector and into the back of the OEM head unit. Since my Android unit has the OEM unit embedded within it, the connectors remain the same at the back, next to all the new Android connectors.

Excuse the bad quality, I had to zoom right in ...

View attachment 8884
Thanks for sharing this photo! :) I completely missed this cable, perhaps the module was pushed down the back. I've been advised the same; that all the connectors remain the same so shouldn't need to do anything else. But looking at this photo and seeing the RCA's, I wonder if any of this can be 'changed' somehow to connect to the RCA camera connector on the new head unit's harness... But if it works fine on yours, I shouldn't need to change anything...

·
Registered
12 Posts
For what it's worth, the aftermarket reversing cameras are a doddle to install. The power is supplied to the camera when the vehicle is put into reverse. It's simple. I have installed about a dozen in the past 20 years. That method will work, but understandably, getting your OEM camera working would be better. Like I said above, try the "Vehicle Choices" option if you have it.
That's good to know. The only bit that scares me is tapping into power by splicing; I assume I need to do this? Interestingly, I found an aftermarket reversing camera in my garage today! It looks like the common type that's sold everywhere. I could test it with the head unit pulled out. I've attached a photo and you can see the lead is very short though, so I assume I'll need to to find an RCA extension cable(s)? Or can this be connected into any wiring that already exists from the dash to the rear?

I would definitely prefer to get the OEM camera working, just because it's 'original' and I don't want to add ANOTHER camera to the car for cosmetic reasons. it just feels wrong!

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is how my camera connects to the OEM unit ... which is unchanged with my new unit. I am guessing that this camera unit was an aftermarket unit fitted by previous owners. As they are for sale here. If I wanted to, I could disconnect this unit at the RCA and connect it to the Android unit directly. But I would have to then manually run the power wire for the camera via the reverse gear input. On a manual, that is simple. On an auto ... not so simple.

View attachment 8885
Sorry I should have replied to this message at the same time as the other one! :D I wonder if I have something similar behind the head unit. But perhaps since I didn't see anything, maybe I have an OEM camera. Hmmm.

So generally, there's options that will work here. I'll try installing the missing 'keys' module and see if it just so happens to get the camera working. If not, I'll see if there's a similar module in mine. The aftermarket camera still feels like a last resort though!

If I also take some photos of all the wiring behind the unit tomorrow, if you have a moment perhaps you could take a quick look and see if you can spot any issues please?

One more note for now - thank you again for responding to me, greatly appreciated. Will need to send you a virtual beer lol.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Also, when you tried the different options, did you just exit the menu and try reverse again? Or turn the whole car off, then try again?
I did at first, but then realised rebooting the unit wasn't neccessary. You can use the floating widget (dot) to toggle between the "Vehicle Choices" menu and the OEM screen.
Can you possibly show me a photo of what this screen looks like for you when it appears please?
I am referring to the default reversing camera screen that (on mine) is automatically displayed when putting it into reverse.

So what you're suggesting is this little floaty navigation thing can be customised? Thinking about it, I've noticed it looks different on some other people's units. How did you find out about how to customise it?
Not the one that comes with the Android unit. I installed another one from Play Store called Back Button. With this one, you can also reassign the button gestures, e.g. tap, double tap, long press.
But looking at this photo and seeing the RCA's, I wonder if any of this can be 'changed' somehow to connect to the RCA camera connector on the new head unit's harness...
Yes. In theory, the cable can be dettached at the RCA and connected directly to the Android unit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did at first, but then realised rebooting the unit wasn't neccessary. You can use the floating widget (dot) to toggle between the "Vehicle Choices" menu and the OEM screen.

I am referring to the default reversing camera screen that (on mine) is automatically displayed when putting it into reverse.

View attachment 8893

Not the one that comes with the Android unit. I installed another one from Play Store called Back Button. With this one, you can also reassign the button gestures, e.g. tap, double tap, long press.

Yes. In theory, the cable can be dettached at the RCA and connected directly to the Android unit.
Thanks for all the info again!
So if your screen is currently in some menu other than the original menu, then the parking sensors kick in, does the screen not automatically display a visual on-screen to show you the sensors alongside the audio beeps? If so, does it automatically show the OEM original menu sensor visual, or does it show an Android sensor visual? I've seen other people's setups showing an alternative Android screen which displays the reverse camera on the left and an image of a car on the right hand side with the sensors highlighted. I was hoping to see this.

It makes me think that the theory about these only working properly with automatics could be true again as the unit could look for the R signal to show the reverse camera, and the P signal to show the sensors, or both...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
does the screen not automatically display a visual on-screen to show you the sensors alongside the audio beeps?
No. I only hear the sensor beeps, I don't see anything on the screen. But to be fair, I use the reversing camera for parking, which does show the proximity to an object behind.

Reactions: DaleWales

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I've definitely attached it to this one.
That basically looks the same as mine. The only difference that i can tell is that you transfer the whole OEM unit (without the screen) to the back of the Android unit. Whereas on mine, I had to transfer the contents of the back of the OEM (basically 2 PCBs) unit to the one provided with the Android unit. I still don't understand why the seller is saying not to install the Keys cable. It even tells you to install it in the instructions. My seller was clueless, but I managed to speak to the manufacturer who did help. Personally, I would try with the Key cable connected, as per instructions. Then retry the Vehicle Choices settings.

Reactions: DaleWales

·
Registered
MY16 HSE Dynamic LUX, MY20 R Dynamic HSE, Volvo 850R
2,513 Posts
It seems to me that if these android screens aren't plug and play then they very quickly become a faff around, just my observation

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The hardware is pretty good on these, it is quick and responsive. But their supplied software is pants. This is further compounded by not having a safe/easy way to 'go back' when selecting any menu option that requires a third party app - such "Navigation" which lauches Google Maps. What they should have done was to supply fully integrated software using publically available APIs, such as Google Maps, Spotify, etc. This way, you wouldn't need to leave the app, and could just use the tray icons to navigate through each screen (like on the OEM InControl Touch Pro software).

Their supplied software is just a launcher (i.e. Home app). You can install any other launcher and set that as your Home app. I told the manufacturer this is what I am doing - he didn't like that much and tried to tell me it wouldn't work. But it does, I have tried many (Automate, CarWebGuru, Nova Prime, etc.). But I do like the original InControl Touch Pro design, plus it keeps the car authentic. So I have had a bash at making my own. It's early days, but I've installed an early draft and it loads quickly and works well (so far).

Reactions: CaptainNick

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
It seems to me that if these android screens aren't plug and play then they very quickly become a faff around, just my observation
If by Plug and Play you mean remove the old, install the new ... then no, they are not. But the physical installation can be done in about a couple of hours. Where the real 'faff' comes in, is setting it all up and making sure you haven't lost any OEM functionality. Which I did and @DaleWales still has ... which is why I started this thread - to advise people what it's really like, the challenges to expect, and any fixes or workarounds that helps overcome these.

Reactions: Doink

·
Registered
MY16 HSE Dynamic LUX, MY20 R Dynamic HSE, Volvo 850R
2,513 Posts
The OEM system didn't age well agreed and being an android person and the whole customisation thing really appeals to me but in my mind the unit should work from the outset as in yes 'plug and play', all OEM features should be there and working, then and only then should you wish you could customise further. Maybe I'm not understanding this completely and you obviously clearly know a great deal more about the system than I ever will but to me the unit is android based and all you've done is over laid the android OS over the top of the LR one(sorry can't think of its name right now), the android OS is then customizable by downloading different launchers etc etc but the main unit should work with whatever it left the factory with, is this a fair comment

Don't even get me started on different types of Kw, that stuff really blows my mind

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I have had a bash at making my own. It's early days, but I've installed an early draft and it loads quickly and works well (so far).
OK now I'm in awe! It's taken me a while to comprehend that it's basically Android running a customised launcher. Do you know what launcher they used to create the UI on this one? Can their UI be edited?

I'm interested in how you are designing your own launcher UI. Again, are you using a particular launcher? How are you designing this and how will you integrate/install it?

I'm actually a Product Designer so this excites me a lot! I've designed a lot of apps and services over the years, and I'm sensing a project coming on here! :D

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Do you know what launcher they used to create the UI on this one?
It's something that they have knocked up using Android Studio.
Can their UI be edited?
No. I did request the code, but he wouldn't give to me. Understandable I suppose.
Again, are you using a particular launcher?
No. The launchers on the Play Store are just to change the look and feel of your device. Some are pretty good for cars, like Automate and CarWebGuru. But they all just point to other apps on your device. E.g. when you click the "Navigation" button, you leave the launcher app and open the navigation app (such as Google Maps or Waze). This means that everything looks different and more importantly, you will struggle going back to the launcher - even with a floating back button.
How are you designing this?
I use Android Studio. It's been around for over a decade so there is loads of YouTube tutorials. I have been coding for many years, but mainly Windows apps and web apps/sites. Android Studio is a complete IDE, so you can design an app however you like, pulling in shed loads of free, off the shelf libraries (APIs and SDKs). For example, I have already added both Mapbox and Spotify to my app (above). But the list is endless. Doing it this way provides a seamless user experience, as all capability is available within the app ... rather than the seller's app, which is a basic launcher pointing externally to other apps (and with no back button 😒).
how will you integrate/install it?
In Android Studio, there is a 'Build APK' button, which generates the actual Android file to install on the head unit (on a USB stick). It installs like any other Android app. It can then be set as the 'Home' app in settings so that it automatically starts when you start the car. That said, Android Studio contains an Emulator, so I have a virtual 10.25" android device running on my PC, which makes design and testing quick and easy. There is no install or USB needed for that, you just hit the Play button and view/test it on the emulator 👌

Android Studio is available on lots of different platforms, not just Windows. See here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's something that they have knocked up using Android Studio.

No. I did request the code, but he wouldn't give to me. Understandable I suppose.

No. The launchers on the Play Store are just to change the look and feel of your device. Some are pretty good for cars, like Automate and CarWebGuru. But they all just point to other apps on your device. E.g. when you click the "Navigation" button, you leave the launcher app and open the navigation app (such as Google Maps or Waze). This means that everything looks different and more importantly, you will struggle going back to the launcher - even with a floating back button.

I use Android Studio. It's been around for over a decade so there is loads of YouTube tutorials. I have been coding for many years, but mainly Windows apps and web apps/sites. Android Studio is a complete IDE, so you can design an app however you like, pulling in shed loads of free, off the shelf libraries (APIs and SDKs). For example, I have already added both Mapbox and Spotify to my app (above). But the list is endless. Doing it this way provides a seamless user experience, as all capability is available within the app ... rather than the seller's app, which is a basic launcher pointing externally to other apps (and with no back button 😒).

In Android Studio, there is a 'Build APK' button, which generates the actual Android file to install on the head unit (on a USB stick). It installs like any other Android app. It can then be set as the 'Home' app in settings so that it automatically starts when you start the car. That said, Android Studio contains an Emulator, so I have a virtual 10.25" android device running on my PC, which makes design and testing quick and easy. There is no install or USB needed for that, you just hit the Play button and view/test it on the emulator 👌

Android Studio is available on lots of different platforms, not just Windows. See here.
This is all super interesting. So Android Studio may be a bit overkill for me as a designer; I avoid code wherever I can and instead work closely with developers/engineers to 'build what I design' I guess. Probably too busy to commit to learning it! I wonder if one of the many WYSIWYG app builders would suffice? I just noticed 'Bubble' has Spotify and Google Maps integrations built in for example.

If you did build something though, I'd be interested in installing it on my own device ;)

With some effort, do you think you could actually end up building your own APK which could eventually map physical buttons in the car to different actions, create a static nav that remained visible when other apps are open, or maybe even a swipe/gesture feature that brought up a nav menu, possibly integrate better with things like the factory reversing camera, etc, etc (basically all the issues we've been mentioning!)?

Oh and maybe even somehow displaying some of the original menu screens alongside a UI that complements the InControl UI theming that you are building, instead of emulating the buttons as these head units do?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
With some effort, do you think you could actually end up building your own APK which could eventually map physical buttons in the car
I am trying to do this. I first need to find out the package name of their launcher (I am close). Then I can find the 'intent' that they access to OEM functions with. Once I have that, then I can add OEM functionality in my app (e.g. phone, reversing camera, etc.). Because it will all be within one app, the bottom navigation bar will be constantly displayed, allowing accessing to navigate easily. Mapping that to physical buttons in the car is beyond me (at the moment 😉).

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I am trying to do this. I first need to find out the package name of their launcher (I am close). Then I can find the 'intent' that they access to OEM functions with. Once I have that, then I can add OEM functionality in my app (e.g. phone, reversing camera, etc.). Because it will all be within one app, the bottom navigation bar will be constantly displayed, allowing accessing to navigate easily. Mapping that to physical buttons in the car is beyond me (at the moment 😉).
This forum sooo needs people like you 👍🏻

·
Registered
9 Posts
quick question my 2016 evoque has the factory gps etc its a hse dynamic lux it has the bosch unit. do i need to use the additional gps sensor or is there a way of connecting the factory GPS sensor to the unit? Ive had my unit delivered this morning and was hoping to install it later. Its apparently the latest version that also has a sim card and a 4g antenna with it. I was really hoping that the cars shark fin gps antenna could be used. Also what is the little speaker actually for that comes bundled with the unit? any help is greatly appreciated only picked up my evoque on monday.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts