Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Whilst facelifting my MY13 'Pure Tech' to a Dynamic (here), I decided to upgrade the OEM stock 8" JLR head unit to something more modern.

I have upgraded many car head units before, and even created my own (the 'Car PC' days) prior to Android head units existing. So I am used to the challenges and curve balls that surface throughout the install process. Some of you may be considering upgrading your own head unit, so I am documenting my install here - in the event it helps others.

Overview:

These Android 10.25" infotainment systems are manufactured in China and available on Aliexpress, eBay, etc. That said, there are many variations and models for sale. Most of them are the older models, but a few are the newer ones. I will go into the differences in more detail later, but in the main, the older models have a slower CPU, less RAM, storage and a lower resolution.

Before and after ...

In the earlier Evoques there 2 main types of 8" head unit, one provided by Bosch and the other Harman. Mine is (was) a Bosch.

Apparently, there is also a 5 inch model as well. These too can be upgraded to the 10.25" system.

When ordering your 10.25" system, you need to specify which OEM head unit your car has.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Choosing the right model:

As mentioned above, despite all looking the same, there are many variations in spec between these Android 10.25” head units. A good visual indicator is the UI software that they use.

Older models:

Newer models:

Checking the hardware specifications is a better way to ensure you have the latest model. This is not guaranteed though, as the advertised specifications do often differ to what you receive. I.e., the specs are wrong.

SpecificationOlder modelsNewer models
Resolution1280 x 4801920 x 720
RAM2GB - 4GB6GB - 8GB
ROM (Storage)8GB - 16GB64GB – 128GB
Radio ChipNoYes

There are models with a mixture of the above specifications. When I trawled through dozens of these head units when trying to find the right one, I found that spotting those with a higher resolution was the best way to weed out the older models.

As mentioned, what you pay for might not be what you actually receive. In my case, I paid for a newer model with 8GB RAM and 128GB of storage. Whereas the model I received had only 6GB RAM and 64GB of storage. If it were Amazon, I would have returned it, but being Aliexpress, it would have taken a further 2 months or more to send it back and get a replacement – even if it were possible. In my case, I raised a dispute, and got £170 back after a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Purchase and Delivery:

I bought the unit from a company called AOTSR on Aliexpress for £680. The actual unit that I bought is here. I notice that they have since updated the advert and changed some of the specifications. Maybe this is due to me raising the dispute. When purchasing the unit, I had to message them to say which OEM head unit I had, i.e. 5" or 8", Bosch or Harman. I provided a photo to be 100% sure it would be the right one.

I paid for 7 day expedited delivery, but regardless, it took just over a month to arrive. And all the while there was radio silence from the seller. Little or no response to my messages. Some sellers are good at communicating and after sales support, but AOTSR is one of the worst I have dealt with. My advice to anyone reading this, steer clear of this seller.

The item arrived well packaged in good condition, and I didn't have to pay any custom charges or import tax.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Installation and Setup:

Where do I start? Firstly, no instructions were included in the box. Not even a QR code to a video or webpage describing how to install the unit. I wish I grabbed some photos of the box contents, sadly I didn't. The main question mark at the time was the loom. It is massive, with so many offshoots, splices and connectors.

With no instructions, I contacted the seller who eventually pointed me towards a video.

Unfortunately, this only explains how to take your existing OEM unit and insert inside the new Android unit. It mentions nothing about the actual installation in the vehicle. After lots of Googling, I came across this video.

In the above video, it shows pretty clearly what needs to be removed from the dashboard to replace the head unit. That part took about half an hour, so I won't dwell on that. Pretty basic stuff.

Whilst this helped, it did not explain where each part of the loom is installed. I kept asking the seller for a wiring diagram, in the end they put me in touch with the manufacturer, "Merryway Robin". He did help out quite a bit via WhatsApp, explaining where each part of the loom connected. Unlike on older models of the Android 10.25" unit, this loom does not connect to the amplifier. Instead, it connects to the back of the CD/DVD player (in my car). Basically, you take the connector off the back of the CD/DVD player, insert the new loom, and then insert the original CD/DVD player connector into the female connector in the new loom, i.e. in series. Once I did that, it came to life.

Below shows the new unit installed, and displaying the OEM JLR screen, which provides access to all original functionality.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Setup:

Once the new head unit is installed, there is still a bit of setup to do. Especially mapping the original 8 physical buttons to the new Android's version of that screen (see photo in the previous post #4). First thing is to go into the "Settings" of the Android unit, then select "Factory Settings", enter 666666 for the password.

Select "Vehicles Choice". In here, you need to specify what OEM head unit you have. If its the same as mine in the first post, you can use these settings. The "Resolution" and "Car" choices are trial and error. The "Car1, Car 2, etc" choices are what maps the layout of the virtual buttons to the OEM buttons. If you get these wrong, the new buttons will not open the original function. E.g. Phone, Nav, etc. But again, if you get it wrong, keep trying until it is correct.

This was a painful process, especially because I had no instrutions for setup. Sods law, I found one buried deep in some random thread after the install (attached).

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Issues, Bugs & Teething Problems:

As with a lot of Chinese head units retrofits, there are normally issues. This is definitely true of this upgrade. As days passed, I found more and more things that were either not working ... or I wasn't entirely happy with. I will try and capture these below.

Button Mapping - the original 8 physical buttons are mapped to 8 virtual buttons (or soft keys) with the new Android head unit (as described in the previous post #6). After much faff, all buttons worked except for the OEM "Setup" button. Despite informing the Merryway Robin (the manufacturer), it still isn't working. That said, I found if I click the time, it takes me to the OEM setup screen.

Steering Wheel Controls - the advert suggests that its supports this, when in reality, the integration is poor. Assuming you have set your OEM JLR mode to AUX, you can control the volume and previous/next track. But that is it. As long as you have connected your phone to the OEM JLR headunit (which is now inside the Android head unit), then you can still use the phone controls on the steering wheel as normal. The downside is that you cannot see who is calling whilst in Android, unless you press the 'Original' tile on the screen - as this takes you back to the OEM display (and all OEM functionality). The "Mode" button still controls the OEM mode. I.e. it needs to be set to AUX in OEM to listen to any audio in Android. If you are in Android, and then press the mode button, you will toggle OEM mode from AUX to OEM radio - and not hear any Android sound, just the OEM radio. Because of the poor integration, simple things like going back to the previous screen is quite tricky. I have bought a Bluetooth button/remote which I can map to different commands in Android. E.g. back, up, down, enter, home.

GPS signal - I first mounted the provided GPS module at the top of the windscreen behind the rearview mirror. This resulted in a very poor signal because of the heated windscreen. I moved it to the rear screen which improved the signal, but I still experience the odd drop in GPS connection. My guess is that they have bundled the cheapest GPS module on the market. I will be replacing it with a better one.

Chinese UI - The tiled UI (in the photo above) that tries to mimic the JLR one (on the newer Evoques) is pants. It doesn't look bad in the adverts, but after a couple of days of use, I've realised how poor it is. Excuse the finger prints below, this was when I was installing it. "Navigation" takes you to Google Maps, but it is very tricky to go back to the Home screen. They include a floating 'Back' widget, but it is near impossible to see, let alone use when driving. The "Media" takes you to a sub-screen which just allows USB media (video/music). "Original" will take you to the OEM JLR screen. If you slide right on the Home screen, it will take you to a similar screen with "Apps", "Settings" and "Phone". "Apps" is good, allowing you access Play Store and any other app you've downloaded. "Phone" is terrible ... just awful. I have left my phone connected to the OEM JLR unit, so I can still use steering wheel controls to answer calls. I ended up installing a proper car launcher, as it works a lot better.

Voice Assistant - the head unit comes with a Chinese voice assistant pre-installed. That is because China and Google don't play well. You can uninstall this and install Google Voice Assistant. This can be controlled using the voice assistant icon in the UI, but not using your steering wheel controls. That will still control your OEM voice assistant.

Bluetooth - if you decide to pair your phone to the Android device, then you cannot pair any other BT devices. Don't ask me why they have done it this way, but they have. Utterly ridiculous. E.g. if you want to pair your phone and an OBD2 reader. You can't. Basically, to pair a phone you have to select "BT Phone" in the settings. If you want to pair anything else that is not a phone, you have to select "BT Audio" in the settings. I have left it on the latter. I prefer having my phone connected to the OEM unit so I can retain steering wheel controls, and now I can connect as many BT devices (other than my phone) to the Android headunit.

Reactions: CaptainNick

·
Registered
Spock - MY20 D180 Evoque R-Dynamic SE Santorini Black Pimp-Wagon!
170 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to pass on the knowledge... Some great info there! (y) :geek:

I'm looking into doing this on another car at the moment.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hardware:

As mentioned in the specifications in post #2. even if you choose the top spec, there is no guarantee that's what you'll receive. Even if that is what is says in Android Settings. Be wary. The Chinese sellers have a bad habit of doctoring the spec in the advert AND the editing the actual software to incorrectly report a better spec. I suspected this was the case with mine, but regardless, it doesn't harm checking ... just in case.

The unit I purchased was advertised as Android 10, with 128GB of storage. What I actually received was a 'hacked' Android 9 with only 64GB (of which 54GB is usable).

The seller was AOTSR, who sells on ebay, Amazon, Aliexpress and Alibaba. The manufacturer is Merryway Robin.

The app I always use to detect modified device spec's ... aka "fakes" ... is 'Device Fake Test'. It is free and available from the Play Store. It was this evidence that helped get me a £170 refund following a 2 week dispute. My advice, always check to make sure you receive what you've paid for.

Reactions: CaptainNick

·
Registered
2013 SD4 Prestige - Gold
17 Posts
shame the performance of the unit doesnt match the looks, it looks a really good replacement but seems it is less down by its general performance

thanks though!

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,945 Posts
@slaine Good stuff 👍
This subject has regularly come up so should be useful to people.
As Evoques age this will no doubt become a more popular mod.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
shame the performance of the unit doesnt match the looks
I know what you mean. As far as speed and functionality, it is fine. The device itself is very quick, and way more than enough power and storage than I will ever need. It boots up very quickly and allows me to do loads more than the OEM headunit. But ... where it lacks is integration. It does not integrate with the car well enough. I said this to the manufacturer, and he took offence 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@slaine Good stuff 👍
This subject has regularly come up so should be useful to people.
As Evoques age this will no doubt become a more popular mod.
No worries. I wanted folk to get a "warts and all" understanding of what these devices are really like. Don't get me wrong, overall they are better than a 2013 OEM headunit, but they fall quite a bit short of what's being advertised.

·
Registered
Evoque Dynamic Lux SD4 2.2 2015
12 Posts
Hello and thanks for sharing this! I actually took the plunge and recently installed a very similar unit to yours in my 2015 Evoque. Unfortunately while it's a nice upgrade and I can take advantage of Apple CarPlay to integrate my iPhone, it has some issues. My thoughts are below but I'd really appreciate it if you could help me out with some of it :) (Sorry it's a bit long!)

I purchased the unit from AliExpress like yourself, from a different seller. It has almost similar specs to yours:
  • 720p resolution
  • 8GB RAM
  • 64GB storage (this was actually advertised)
  • Designed for the Bosch and NOT Harman system

The AliExpress seller has actually been very responsive and tried to answer all questions. I had to request instructions, although I was provided with a PDF that was for a slightly different setup and also missed out important steps, as well as the same video regarding taking apart the fascia as you received. However my model seems to be a 'newer variant' which requires less fiddling about and more plug n play. It didn't require pulling apart the logic board, you just lift the top part of the existing stereo off, then remove and attach the ribbon to the new unit.

I plugged in all cables that I could see were where they needed to be, but I had to look up aspects of several other videos to figure out that I also had to unplug the cables from DVD unit like yourself.

The only stray cables that were not plugged in anywhere were:
- The original lead that plugged into the old buttoned fascia to power the buttons. I was advised this is not needed.
- Several unused leads coming out of the harness/loom that they provided (as I couldn't see anything else that could be plugged into them)

Problems:
  • Factory-fitted reversing camera will not display automatically outside the old original menu
  • Front sensor indicators do not automatically display on screen
  • Sensors on/off button (on the touch screen) does not work (seller advised me afterwards that it doesn't!)
  • HUD display above steering wheel stays permanently on 'Aux' and doesn't integrate with media displayed on the new unit
  • Steering wheel MODE button changes the audio source from the original menu, even if you're outside the original menu, which is frustrating and ends up disrupting what you're playing/doing if you press it by accident. Otherwise useless. It's functionality also cannot be changed
  • Steering wheel voice assistant cannot be changed to the Google (Android) or Siri (Apple) voice assistants, and when used anyway, no longer displays the available options on screen, so again useless. Cannot be changed
  • The tiny little floating translucent menu button to navigate through the different menus is ridiculous, difficult to use and definitely dangerous to try and use when driving. If they had just included 1 real button or mapped one of the available buttons to move between menus, this would have been much better
  • The DVD player buttons don't seem to work any longer. The skip left and right buttons don't function anything outside the original menu. I expected them to skip tracks in CarPlay but they do nothing

·
Registered
12 Posts
The reversing camera problem

The biggest issue being the compatibility with the factory fitted reversing camera. Sadly the reversing camera will not automatically appear on the screen as expected when the car is put into reverse, it does nothing. However, if I navigate manually through the menus to the original menu, I can see the camera feed like before. But that's pretty much useless, as it needs to appear automatically whatever screen I'm currently in. Weirdly, I can hear the sounds though from both the camera and front sensors.

As you can see above the reversing camera works in the original menu only. But it does not appear automatically when I shift into reverse as it should, and I have to navigate manually through the different menus to access it.

After conversations with the seller and many people across Facebook groups and YouTube, although everything is setup, I just cannot seem to get the factory camera to work as it should. The seller says they cannot seem to think of a solution but believes that it may be because my car is manual! Which is interesting because I have only found 1 other person who has the same issue as me and they have a manual Evoque, while everyone else (including yourself) seem to have an automatic.

This leads me to believe that all these 10.25" Android units are designed primarily for automatic Evoques only, and not manual. I think perhaps that there's some sort of digital signal from the reverse selection on the automatic gearbox that triggers the Android unit into displaying the reverse camera, or perhaps some other different cabling.

There's a potential solution, but I'm concerned whether it's going to work or not due to the above. The seller suggested installing an aftermarket reversing camera which could use the yellow RCA lead within the provided harness. Although I'm a bit dubious as although it may display in the Android menus, I wonder whether it will actually be triggered correctly by the manual reverse signal. There's also a whole kit available with camera, additional module and cables that is designed for Evoques without a camera that I may need which is more expensive.

The difficulty is, no one seems to know enough about these units, even the people who sell them in Asia. And I don't know enough about the electronics of the Evoque to understand either. It's a nightmare. Unfortunately it just isn't good enough for me to not have the reversing camera working as it should, so either an aftermarket camera HAS to work (which I'd prefer not to do really) or the whole thing is getting uninstalled and I'm sending it back to Hong Kong!

-

Anyway, have you had an issues getting the reversing camera to work as it should? And if you have a factory fitted reversing camera, does it automatically display when you shift into reverse gear, regardless of what screen you're on?

Also, do you recall connecting up particular leads/sockets/connectors/adapters for the camera? Did you have to connect anything in particular on the provided harness for the camera?

Oh and have you managed to get it working with the front sensors too? ie does it again automatically appear on screen when your front sensors are activated?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Where the heck do I start 😕 Brownie points for such a first post 👍

However my model seems to be a 'newer variant' which requires less fiddling about and more plug n play. It didn't require pulling apart the logic board, you just lift the top part of the existing stereo off, then remove and attach the ribbon to the new unit.
If you have any PDFs or links to show me, that would make it easier to try and help (not that I am sure that I can).
The only stray cables that were not plugged in anywhere were:
- The original lead that plugged into the old buttoned fascia to power the buttons. I was advised this is not needed.
- Several unused leads coming out of the harness/loom that they provided (as I couldn't see anything else that could be plugged into them)
Hmmm, sounds odd to me. The the "Keys" cable (as they refer to it as) controls the button presses from the OEM 8 physical buttons to all the specific commands. See the last photo in post #3. When you remove the dash, you have to remove that cable from the right hand side of the unit, but on the rear of the fascia in the dashboard panel. I had to plug that into the supplied wiring loom so that the 'virtual' buttons on the supplied unit worked. Do your 8 virtual buttons actually work? E.g. home, setup, parking, screen on/off, mode, etc.
I had several leads left over in the wiring loom, most of these are for DVR and headrest TVs though (which I don't have).
Factory-fitted reversing camera will not display automatically outside the old original menu
Mine does work everytime I put it into reverse. That said, it stopped working when I started messing with the "Vehicles Choice" in post #6. If you have that setting, try spending some time with that (it took me an age until I found the right combo). Basically, the wrong combo ended up with stuff that was working, not working. Sadly, there is no science to this. It is tap, tap, tap (curse) and repeat.
Front sensor indicators do not automatically display on screen
Sensors on/off button (on the touch screen) does not work (seller advised me afterwards that it doesn't!)
You mention sensors a few times. Do you the OEM parking sensor screen? If so these work for me, on the original screen only.
HUD display above steering wheel stays permanently on 'Aux' and doesn't integrate with media displayed on the new unit
Steering wheel MODE button changes the audio source from the original menu, even if you're outside the original menu, which is frustrating and ends up disrupting what you're playing/doing if you press it by accident. Otherwise useless. It's functionality also cannot be changed
Steering wheel voice assistant cannot be changed to the Google (Android) or Siri (Apple) voice assistants, and when used anyway, no longer displays the available options on screen, so again useless. Cannot be changed
Don't start me off. It's utter pants. Talk about false advertisment. There are other workarounds to try (but not ideal). You can get bluetooth buttons that can control any commands you map them too. But it's not without its flaws. My setup is left on 'AUX' now. I just try not to touch the 'Mode' button on the steering wheel.
The tiny little floating translucent menu button to navigate through the different menus is ridiculous, difficult to use and definitely dangerous to try and use when driving. If they had just included 1 real button or mapped one of the available buttons to move between menus, this would have been much better
100% agree and was what I said to the manufacturer, who didn't take the feedback well. He actually said I shouldn't be trying to operate it whilst driving. I told him I wouldn't have to if the steering wheel buttons actually worked. You can installed 'Back Button' on the Play store, which is what I have done. It can be styled (big, bold and easy to find/press).
The DVD player buttons don't seem to work any longer.
I have a DVD player but don't use it. But the steering wheel forward/back buttons do work when playing music on my Android unit.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The biggest issue being the compatibility with the factory fitted reversing camera. Sadly the reversing camera will not automatically appear on the screen as expected when the car is put into reverse, it does nothing. However, if I navigate manually through the menus to the original menu, I can see the camera feed like before. But that's pretty much useless, as it needs to appear automatically whatever screen I'm currently in.
I don't know how your OEM rear camera connected. Mine came up from the passenger side dash, connected to a black 2" box via a yellow RCA connector and into the back of the OEM head unit. Since my Android unit has the OEM unit embedded within it, the connectors remain the same at the back, next to all the new Android connectors.

Excuse the bad quality, I had to zoom right in ...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For what it's worth, the aftermarket reversing cameras are a doddle to install. The power is supplied to the camera when the vehicle is put into reverse. It's simple. I have installed about a dozen in the past 20 years. That method will work, but understandably, getting your OEM camera working would be better. Like I said above, try the "Vehicle Choices" option if you have it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is how my camera connects to the OEM unit ... which is unchanged with my new unit. I am guessing that this camera unit was an aftermarket unit fitted by previous owners. As they are for sale here. If I wanted to, I could disconnect this unit at the RCA and connect it to the Android unit directly. But I would have to then manually run the power wire for the camera via the reverse gear input. On a manual, that is simple. On an auto ... not so simple.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Where the heck do I start 😕 Brownie points for such a first post 👍
Haha thank you and hello! :) Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to me.

If you have any PDFs or links to show me, that would make it easier to try and help (not that I am sure that I can).
I've attached the PDF they sent me AFTER I had already installed it (I know, not sure why they didn't just send it anyway). Interestingly, the PDF states to take the buttons out and attach them. But doesn't quite say how, so it's quite ambiguous. The seller told me to leave the cable unplugged as it is, maybe because the original menus actually work! Which is really bizarre. But I'm going to pull everything out again and try it anyway. I messaged them today to advise them I'll try it anyway, but their response was that its not going to fix the camera issue, they seem quite adamant now after I installed it that this head unit will NOT function properly with the reversing camera of a MANUAL Evoque...

Hmmm, sounds odd to me. The the "Keys" cable (as they refer to it as) controls the button presses from the OEM 8 physical buttons to all the specific commands. See the last photo in post #3. When you remove the dash, you have to remove that cable from the right hand side of the unit, but on the rear of the fascia in the dashboard panel. I had to plug that into the supplied wiring loom so that the 'virtual' buttons on the supplied unit worked. Do your 8 virtual buttons actually work? E.g. home, setup, parking, screen on/off, mode, etc.
I had several leads left over in the wiring loom, most of these are for DVR and headrest TVs though (which I don't have).
It's weird as the loom connections seem in place (except for those DVR/TV ones you mentioned which you suggest aren't needed), but that 'keys cable' is just sitting there with nowhere to go, which they said is OK. Despite the PDF suggesting to take the module out and keep the 'keys cable' plugged into it. And again, the stranger thing is, the original menu virtual buttons all seem to work anyway! Today they suggested to just take the module out and leave it behind the dash somewhere, which isn't easy so I'll have to secure it safely, maybe with sticky velcro. I don't even know if it's worth me bothering to connect it.

Mine does work everytime I put it into reverse. That said, it stopped working when I started messing with the "Vehicles Choice" in post #6. If you have that setting, try spending some time with that (it took me an age until I found the right combo). Basically, the wrong combo ended up with stuff that was working, not working. Sadly, there is no science to this. It is tap, tap, tap (curse) and repeat.
I've tried all different combinations in the Vehicles Choice menu. Although, I can try it again if I install the keys connector. Also, when you tried the different options, did you just exit the menu and try reverse again? Or turn the whole car off, then try again?

You mention sensors a few times. Do you the OEM parking sensor screen? If so these work for me, on the original screen only.
Yes sorry, that's what I mean. Along with the audio beeps, which I hear. Same as the reversing camera, nothing appears on screen, and I have to manually navigate to the original menus to see the parking sensor screen. Which makes me wonder if the whole issue with this being manual is true or not. Can you possibly show me a photo of what this screen looks like for you when it appears please?

Don't start me off. It's utter pants. Talk about false advertisment. There are other workarounds to try (but not ideal). You can get bluetooth buttons that can control any commands you map them too. But it's not without its flaws. My setup is left on 'AUX' now. I just try not to touch the 'Mode' button on the steering wheel.
To be honest, I shouldn't have expected 100% truth given it's from HK/China and on AliExpress! I think I can probably put up with avoiding the Mode button. The skip and volume buttons on the steering wheel do function ok in CarPlay at the moment which is good.

100% agree and was what I said to the manufacturer, who didn't take the feedback well. He actually said I shouldn't be trying to operate it whilst driving. I told him I wouldn't have to if the steering wheel buttons actually worked. You can installed 'Back Button' on the Play store, which is what I have done. It can be styled (big, bold and easy to find/press).
So what you're suggesting is this little floaty navigation thing can be customised? Thinking about it, I've noticed it looks different on some other people's units. How did you find out about how to customise it?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts