Evoque Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone.

I am a newbie on this forum.

I purchased a 2021 evoque D200 S ex demonstrator with 8,500 miles on the clock yesterday, the car was registered 16th April this year.

On the motorway driving home from the garage the car went into limp mode and started showing lots of faults on the screen.

Phoned Land Rover assistance and the AA was with me in just over an hour, mechanic said the Alternator drive belt had snapped and had wrapped itself round the pulley, not repairable at the roadside, tow truck arrived 90 mins later to take it back to the garage, AA mechanic gave me a lift home (35 miles) on the journey back he said that this must have been like this when I picked up the car as I told him when I switched it on it came up wth a red battery symbol, low battery start car, I assumed this was the battery being drained d/t lying at the forecourt for a few weeks.

To sum up, it's a Land Rover approved used car and should have had a 1365 point check.

Question is: what comeback do I have with the garage ?

Thank you

Jake
(Seisobs).

·
Registered
2012, 2.2td, 3 dr Dynamic. 240bhp, 20 in alloys, wing backs, side steps, tinted windows and lights.
260 Posts
That will be covered by warranty and any damage caused is for them to fix.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
3,396 Posts
...To sum up, it's a Land Rover approved used car and should have had a 1365 point check.
Unfortunately it's only a 165 point check :)

Welcome to the Owners club forum - sounds like you've had an unlucky start.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately it's only a 165 point check :)

Welcome to the Owners club forum - sounds like you've had an unlucky start.
Oops, typo, meant 165 point check, does not look like the checks have been done, is there any way of proving it ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That will be covered by warranty and any damage caused is for them to fix.
I am aware of that, thanks, the car is in the garage now, they say it will be ready today, with previous experiences with garages (Not Landrover) a week was the norm. Are Land Rover any different ?
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
I doubt the the belts are on a 165 point check anyway

·
Registered
Dynamic 3 door, 2013, SD4, santorini black with pimento and ebony
826 Posts
Keep your eye on the new belt, why did it fail so early? Could simply be a bad one, they are made by the million, or could be a seized or misaligned pulley that caused it. I would check it regularly and look forward any sign an of deterioration.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Firstly I second what @Binty says above, especially as your dealer doesn't inspire confidence. If the car has been standing for a while before collection then they should have put it on a smart charger for a day or so beforehand. The Evoque is well known to be fussy about battery condition, so no excuse for the low battery warning seen at your collection.
However I doubt the belt was broken before you collected as I'm sure there would have been a shed load of warnings flagged before you even got off the forecourt, BMS would detect no charge available. Also I've never checked but I would guess the belt drives other auxiliaries in addition to the alternator?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: car back home, belt replaced, software updated because these new evoque's are Mhev, the belt drives the engine for a few secs which stresses the belt, upgrade stops this, standby for a recall guy's and gal's.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
3,396 Posts
Update: car back home, belt replaced, software updated because these new evoque's are Mhev, the belt drives the engine for a few secs which stresses the belt, upgrade stops this, standby for a recall guy's and gal's.
How will the vehicle be driven after the update? Can't see how they can change the MHEV characteristics.

Please update your forum profile with your Evoque year and spec so people can easily see what you have :)

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Bloody software update, they'll blame anything and I thought part of their 165 point check was to check for any updates before selling, they'll be blaming Covid next you watch

Reactions: XZ4 and Seisobs

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I don't know who told you that but it isn't quite true.
The MHEV has a "Bisg" or belt integrated starter generator system.
On start up on the button the car uses the normal starter motor.
On re-start from a stop start activation it uses the drive belt to start the engine - it's very quiet with no starter motor.
Presumably that's what they mean by "driving the engine".
The system can also add torque from the small 48v battery pack to assist the engine on high demand.
The MHEV never seems to suffer the lag on take-off that some do.
Switching the MHEV system off seems a bit drastic or the stop start system if that's what they mean ? .
I've never seen any issues on here with this belt so I don't see how a software update (JLR B/S for we do't really know but it will convince the punter) could change things.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know who told you that but it isn't quite true.
The MHEV has a "Bisg" or belt integrated starter generator system.
On start up on the button the car uses the normal starter motor.
On re-start from a stop start activation it uses the drive belt to start the engine - it's very quiet with no starter motor.
Presumably that's what they mean by "driving the engine".
The system can also add torque from the small 48v battery pack to assist the engine on high demand.
The MHEV never seems to suffer the lag on take-off that some do.
Switching the MHEV system off seems a bit drastic or the stop start system if that's what they mean ? .
I've never seen any issues on here with this belt so I don't see how a software update (JLR B/S for we do't really know but it will convince the punter) could change things.
Very interesting info, thanks, I got the info of an indipendant Rover tech who has been outsourced by Rover as their workshop is overwhelmed (as they said).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good morning everyone.

I am a newbie on this forum.

I purchased a 2021 evoque D200 S ex demonstrator with 8,500 miles on the clock yesterday, the car was registered 16th April this year.

On the motorway driving home from the garage the car went into limp mode and started showing lots of faults on the screen.

Phoned Land Rover assistance and the AA was with me in just over an hour, mechanic said the Alternator drive belt had snapped and had wrapped itself round the pulley, not repairable at the roadside, tow truck arrived 90 mins later to take it back to the garage, AA mechanic gave me a lift home (35 miles) on the journey back he said that this must have been like this when I picked up the car as I told him when I switched it on it came up wth a red battery symbol, low battery start car, I assumed this was the battery being drained d/t lying at the forecourt for a few weeks.

To sum up, it's a Land Rover approved used car and should have had a 1365 point check.

Question is: what comeback do I have with the garage ?

Thank you

Jake
(Seisobs).
I have a March 2021 registered Evoque having previously had a 2012 Evoque. Bought brand new, belt snapped ten days ago after 4200 miles, now replaced. I would imagine a recall will be needed - caution to those with Evoques built around this time

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another brand new 21 plate March owner who’s alternator belt has snapped.
JLR had my car for 5 months because the tracker had a fault which escalated into wiring issues 😩 picked it up yesterday, back to the garage today battery issues alternator snapped 😤

·
Premium Member
P300E MY22 Autobiography
6,204 Posts
Another brand new 21 plate March owner who’s alternator belt has snapped.
JLR had my car for 5 months because the tracker had a fault which escalated into wiring issues 😩 picked it up yesterday, back to the garage today battery issues alternator snapped 😤
that's not good... are you still within the time frame to maybe reject it? as it seems the garage has had it more than you? .. then again maybe this is it and once this is done it'll be problem free .. I always try and see some positive somewhere :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
that's not good... are you still within the time frame to maybe reject it? as it seems the garage has had it more than you? .. then again maybe this is it and once this is done it'll be problem free .. I always try and see some positive somewhere :)
I think that’s my next steps.. I want to send the vehicle back / have an alternative because this one clearly isn’t right from build!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I think that’s my next steps.. I want to send the vehicle back / have an alternative because this one clearly isn’t right from build!
It does sound like you have a good case for rejection, due to the car not being fit for purpose....good luck 👍

·
Premium Member
P300E MY22 Autobiography
6,204 Posts
good luck and I think in your case it should be plain sailing 🤞

1 - 20 of 20 Posts