Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've put a deposit down on a MY13 Dynamic Lux that is ticking all the boxes for the options we were looking for and is pretty low mileage. Researching the MOT history has raised an issue with one of the wheels having a weld repair carried out on it (listed as an advisory). Can anyone shed any light on what could of happened and what potential issues this could cause? I've also read on the forum about the rust issues with the fuel shield. Any help with any areas of concern that can be identified on the photos I've taken would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Welcome to the forum,wheel repair possible consequence of pothole damage if welded correctly should be ok but I personally would change and use as a spare, does seem a bit rusty and looks that someone has waved an under seal gun in the general direction of the chassis/fuel tank strap ,could do with a good look at on a ramp To see if a more thorough rust proofing is needed!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I agree with 3disco. Change the wheel and keep it as a spare. We purchased a 2012 Evoque in February. It had spent its first 6 years in Edinburgh where I’m presuming they use more salt due to the cold weather. It was just as rusty underneath. Unlike other car makers Land Rover don’t appear to use any form of protection underneath unlike our Volvo or Audi TT.It didn’t sway us as we are used to Land Rovers. Just get it treated asap.We have used Bilt Hamber products on ours. Both the paint and Dynax s50, UB and UC. We just check it over once a year in the summer and top up where needed. It’s kept the series 2a and lightweight in good shape too.
Pretty disgraceful that it has to be done though on a 7/8 year old car.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My dynamic had a serious hit from two pot holes that buckled bith wheels ! They were straighten out ok , but no welded they have been fine I would as above said make it a spare at source a replacement or ask the garage too ! Enjoy your motor

·
Registered
138 Posts
Looks be a very good weld from the photos, I had 19 inch wheels on my bmw which were prone to cracking, had 2 welded up by a coded welder and were perfect afterwards. On mine the weld was ground down and sprayed so you couldn’t tell but if the welder is happy for the weld to be seen it means they are happy with the job.
I have a 13 plate and it does look a lot rustier than mine, It looks like somebody’s done a pretty crap job with an under seal gun to try and hide the worst, all depends on what the price is wether it’s worth buying.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I think they may have been wearing a blindfold when they used the under seal gun 🥴

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your feedback it is very much appreciated. I am in no way mechanical minded and so could anyone advise what the cost would roughly be to have the underside treated? My next step will be to raise the issues with the dealership (not a LR one) and see what they say. Looking on auto trader it's priced in the mid ground of the market average compared against the same age, spec and similar milage.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I would look at a few others and compare. There are plenty out there in the current climate! It’s easy to treat the underside yourself. You do not need to be mechanically minded but it’s very very messy. You need to make sure the underneath is bone dry before treating it and a lot of places will just spray over it trapping dirt and moisture in which makes it worse. Dependant on who does it you could be looking at anything from £60 to £600.
Bear in mind that it will be due a cam belt and water pump at 7 years which will cost approx £450. The dealer did mine before I collected it.
Ideally it will also need a Haldex service at approx 40000-50000 miles despite main dealers saying it’s sealed for life. If you take it to Bell Engineering you will be looking at £150 for that.

Reactions: 9492

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,227 Posts
You could treat it with ACF50

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I’d be a little bit put off by the welded wheel....also the underside if looking like that I’d ask them to do ... have you logged into Topix to check it’s service history...etc.... what kind of price range you looking at

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,713 Posts
I’d be a little bit put off by the welded wheel....also the underside if looking like that I’d ask them to do ... have you logged into Topix to check it’s service history...etc.... what kind of price range you looking at
You have to use the OSH rather than TOPIx to view the service history :)
But I'm not sure the OP's early vehicle will be online?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
So how can she tell if it’s been serviced or not ? I thought it went online in 2014 ? Can you just go online and check I’ve never bothered as I know it’s been serviced and have kept paperwork from JLR too

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,713 Posts
Service book for early ones. The OP is looking at MY13.
Yes, just pop the VIN in to check. Yours is online, that's where I looked at your mileage the other day!
Also, if it's been serviced out of LR network it's not likely to be online.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Lol hmmmuk I didn’t even think how you knew I’d done more miles this year ... thankyou for checking for me😃....I take it mines all up to date online then?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What details do you need to check the service history online? Is it the VIN as I don't have this. Looking in the 17k / 18k range which this one falls within

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Please advise on above question @ hmmmuk .....
Will keep eyes peeled .. What mileage is on that one ... I’d check it out... the vin is in corner of windscreen if you can photo it🙂

·
Registered
MY16 HSE Dynamic LUX, Volvo 850R
2,321 Posts
@Klay, If you know the reg then someone is about to post a link to a 'find my vin' website and I'll give you 2 guesses who

Reactions: Maffy and 9492

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,713 Posts
What details do you need to check the service history online? Is it the VIN as I don't have this. Looking in the 17k / 18k range which this one falls within
Yes the VIN using Land Rover
If you know the reg, checkmyreg.com gives the VIN.

·
Registered
MY16 HSE Dynamic LUX, Volvo 850R
2,321 Posts
1 down one to go 😜

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,713 Posts
Just trying to help!?

Reactions: Veteran and 9492
1 - 20 of 37 Posts