Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 3 cars. Just taken out a new policy with Admiral for one of them. They've just phoned me to ask if I would be interested in insuring my other two cars with them under a multi-car policy.

Premiums sound attractive and they assure me that my Evoque's pano roof would be covered under the glass section (excesses: repair £25, replace £75).

One downside is that the renewal date will be the same for all 3.

Anyone got any good or bad experiences?

·
10,626 Posts
I did this last year, which meant I insured the Evoque first and then when my other cars insurance expired it got added to the policy.

The benefit was both cars cost less than 50% of my other insurers renewal quotes. Good deal.

The catch and I had been alerted to this was the first renewal would show a hefty rise.

Both cars were due for renewal this September, there was a 58% increase and I had to pay for the two together. I chose not to search for quotes this time around as I was still in profit, but next year I will be getting all manner of quotes. BMW forum owners quote similar experiences.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks EK.

That's pretty much how I expect it to pan out with next year's premiums taking a leap. The savings for now are quite substantial so I think I'll run with it and if the increase next year makes them uncompetitive then I'll go back and do it the 'old' way with separate policies.

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
I had two of my vehicles insured with them but on renewal the price increase was enormous.
I switched to two separate companies and managed to get the two cars insured much cheaper.
Might be okay the first year but you will probably need to shop around again after that....I always do!

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to you too Sorcerer!

Like you, I always shop around. The difference having them all covered on the one policy means that I've got to deal with the 3 of them expiring on the same day. Never mind, it can be satisfying finding a better deal.

Cheers, Les

·
Super Moderator
2,420 Posts
I'm also with Admiral multi car, very cheap 1st year, but has slowly risen each year for me, I've only 1 car this year so will be shopping around definitely. Adding the second car when it's insurance expires is a great feature too.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I have two bikes - a scooter for work and a big touring bike for fun on a multi-bike policy purely because it works out cheaper (can only be riding one bike at any one time) plus the fact that the policy comes with full U.K. and Europe breakdown and recovery cover. I don't think I'd like to lump all our family cars on one policy though. Sure, it may appear cheaper in the first year because you are not insuring them all for one full year. Trouble is that when renewal time comes, whether you stay with them or leave, all your policies will be then be due at the same time for evermore.

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
I nearly went with them as Direct line was a couple of hundred of the quote more.... but have decided to go with NFU instead :) they also do multi car check them out and see what they can quote you.... am fed up ringing now and have stopped.... but not one of them told me i needed a tracker which was good :)

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Phil, Steve and Angel.

All good points. I'm going to go with them for the first year and if they take the pee upon renewal then I'll look elsewhere. I'll include a look at NFU as a neighbour also speaks highly of them.

It is a downside that they will all require renewal at the same time, but the premiums aren't vast. I'm old and the cars aren't exotic, or maybe it's the other way round!

·
10,626 Posts
I'm going to set up a flag for NFU when my next renewal is due.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I'm just about to purchase insurance for my daughters car with Admiral. They tried to get me to take out a multicar policy. What if, when they were due, I put ours and our sons car on with them? Would we all still continue to earn NCD separately? What if one of us has a claim - does it affect the others? If we do continue to earn seperate NCD's and one claim does not affect the others, what's the benefit? Another thing - If you add two cars on to a policy, obviously in the first year both those vehicles will not have earned a full years NCD and assuming there are no claims, only the first car on the policy car will earn an extra years NCD for that year. Another question. Say at the start of a multicar policy I have 10 years NCD, my daughter has two years NCD and my son had none, will the aggregate NCD on the multicar policy be 4 years? And another thing. Who is responsible for paying the policy premium and how would you know which car has cost what? All too confusing for me to get an accurate cost and I suspect that's just one way they win on such a policy. Finally, if it's cheaper to get a multi-car policy and everyone is a winner, why don't you all get one between the lot of you?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Steve D - all valid questions and ones that I wanted answered before I was going to take any multi car policy with them (as I have another car with another set of NCD) In the end, I found it was almost the same price to get them insured separately with less hassle and fewer unanswered questions.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had Admiral Multicar for a number of years they were the most competitive for the 2 sports cars at the time. Last 2 years tho' I've used eSure multicar who have been very good to cover 2 performance cars and the Evoque and when I added the 3rd car they gave the same NCD as I had on the other 2.

With Admiral I remember having to negotiate the premium back down every renewal by putting a competitor quote or two in front of them.
Edited by: gofer

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
I tried that golfer as we have multi with Direct line but they told me sorry we can't match that ... have been with them for the last 4 years .... and with 9 years No claims ... so thats why i changed not very competitive i feel and now they've lost me lol

·
Super Moderator
2,420 Posts
So here we are...

Admiral have put my insurance up by over £60.

LV and Aviva both come in at £130 cheaper... all with modifications, past accidents, driving misdemeanors declared.

I bet if I got a 'new' quote anonymously from Admiral it would be the same as LV or Aviva.

My gut feel is to change out of principal, don't even bother to negotiate Admiral down, why don't they give me their best quote to start with, I understand the business model to do this, but it's a business model that says 'rip people off where you can' in my view.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've had one in the past and got really stung in year 2.. depending on how you pay for insurance you have to pay for two cars at the same time - less relevant if you pay by DD rather than a one off lump sum.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts