Evoque Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I really wanted to add some more features to my MY12 Si4 infotainment - specifically Google Maps and Spofity. I have previous had good experience with the so-called MMI boxes, from installing one in previous BMWs and Audis. An MMI box is a add-on-box, which cuts in before the original CD unit (the infotainment "brain") and the touch screen. In practice this means that it can either bypass itself - leaving everything OEM (apart from original navigation, which is sacrificed - I'll get back to that) or it can operate as a stand-alone Apple Carplay(AC)/Android Auto (AA) unit, providing all of the AC/AA-applicable apps and features available in iTunes and Google Play. It utilizes the original parking sensors, rear camera and original microphone, making installation pretty easy. I did it in 45 minutes, incl. detaching the battery and all of the necessary interior. I don't have any pictures on removing the interior, but I followed this 10 min. video: dash removal

The MMI box itself has only a few cables to connect to the CD unit and existing touch screen:

1. The MMI box (size is about 5 x 10 x15 cm). It fits nicely under the gear knob (see video above).
2. Power cable. One end connect to the MMI. The other end goes in between the the power to the CD unit.
3. Video cable. It goes from the MMI to the OEM touch screen (leaving the original video cable to the touch screen un-used)
4. USB cable. It goes into the MMI. It doesn't have to be used, but can be added if you prefer to connect your phone with cable, rather than wireless.
5. Antennas that goes directly on the MMI (see red dots on picture).
Note: The is no additional microphone, no AUX cable and no GPS antenna to install.

Product Font Auto part Tool Audio equipment

My Evoque has the following specs: Bosch 8" screen with OEM navigation. OEM phone and music streaming via bluetooth, parking sensors and rear camera.

There are dipswitches on the MMI box, to use custom configurations (screen resolution, etc.), but with my specs there were all on "OFF":

Office equipment Gadget Rectangle Fashion accessory Musical instrument accessory

So following the video above, I took apart the dash. About 12 screws - some easier to reach than others, but overall pretty easy. The interior is of very high quality, so don't be afraid to man-handle it a bit. Then it's just a matter of connecting the cables (all plug 'n' play), and placing the box it the area below the gear knob.

After putting everything back together and reconnecting the battery. Make sure you raise all the windows, and check that the electronic tail gate functions as expected. I had no problems in this regard. Actually after this exercise, my heated steering suddenly worked again :)

At this point everything is the way it was before installation. But you now have the opportunity to push the "NAV"-button, and instead of displaying the original navigation software, you a taken into the whole new world of AC/AA. So as mentioned previously: you lose your OEM navigation maps/software (everything else remains), but you gain AP/AA. All you have to do is set your OEM sound input to AUX to have the sound from the MMI, and you're good to go. It looks like this:

Automotive lighting Audio equipment Automotive design Musical instrument accessory Vehicle audio

Here you either select IOS or Android, depending on your phone. I have a Samsung Galaxy Flip 3, so choosing Android it connects wirelessly to my phone via normal bluetooth paring, and immediately shows me the official Android Auto:

Mobile phone Telephony Mobile device Communication Device Portable communications device

(in Danish... apologies)

From here you use your apps, as you would expect. The touch screen is not quite as good as a phone or tablet for scrolling motions, but it's not a problem at all.

Mobile phone Telephony Communication Device Portable communications device Telephone

Gear shift Steering part Automotive design Satellite radio Car

Whenever you reverse or make or receive a phone call, the screen automatically and seamlessly shifts back to the original setup/software. And when you're done returns to AP/AA. When turning on the car it boots to the OEM screen, and all you have to do is hit NAV, and you're in AP/AA. There is no boot time.

It took about 45 minutes to install. It's not my first time taking an interior apart (it was on the Evoque though), but anyone should be able to do it within an hour or two. I don't have a link to where I bought it (bought it locally here i Denmark for ~330£), but all MMI boxes are more or less the same i believe. If you want to install one, just make sure you get one without the need to install AUX cable, and without a separate microphone and separate GPS. As for firmware refer to the pictures above.

For what it's worth I'm very satisfied with this upgrade. Everything works straight out he box, and it really brings new life to the infotainment :)

·
Registered
2013 Evoque Coupe Dynamic 2.2 SD4 Auto
569 Posts
Very good write up - thank you.
If this is the same system, that's a great price.
The connectors don't look like the ones in your pics.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very good write up - thank you.
If this is the same system, that's a great price.
The connectors don't look like the ones in your pics.

It could very well be the same unit 👍

·
Registered
22 Posts
That's awesome, total no brainer if you have the older entertainment system. Arguably a better implementation than the newer system, given that it's wireless plus you have the buttons to easily toggle between (e.g.) cameras and carplay

·
Registered
569 Posts
I've just received mine from AliExpress £192. It didn't look anything like the pictures showed with 2 antenna - apparently they are built into the unit itself. After getting in touch they assured me it was the latest unit (who knows) and AliExpress offered a £56 discount or full refund, because it wasn't as described by the seller.
Anyway, I decided to fit it and after a couple of hours it's all working. I only made the basic connections with their link cable, LVDS cable and WiFi antenna - didn't use the USB/mic cable supplied as I already had a USB port under the arm rest, so hoped that would still work. Switched the music settings on the original screen to aux and connected my android phone to the USB - voila! To my surprise it also works wirelessly.
I was thinking that something wouldn't work - like the rear view camera, but everything does. Even the steering wheel switches still control volume etc, and voice command works - brilliant. I've not got an iPhone, but presume one would work just the same.
After months of deliberation, I'm so glad I've done this.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Reactions: RRRaych

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hi @Robwen . So do you access yours via the hard Nav button the same as Remember2 does?
Seriously considering this upgrade as it looks excellent. Thanks

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hi @Robwen . So do you access yours via the hard Nav button the same as Remember2 does?
Seriously considering this upgrade as it looks excellent. Thanks
Hi RRRaych, yes that's exactly how it works - so the only thing you haven't got is the use of your original nav. My maps were well out of date (2013), now I've got google maps and waze set up on android auto, which are live and obviously up to date.
As I said, the only difference with mine was that it didn't have the 2 antenna, just a WiFi antenna which I mounted under the pull off grill in the middle of the dash - wire goes behind centre air vents (I removed them first) and into new module hidden inside front of main centre gear console. The seller has told me this is the latest model with antenna built in - all I know is that it works perfectly.
I've no idea what the £500+ modules have that mine hasn't - that's a lot of money! My only concern was loosing some original functions, but have lost nothing.
This is the user guide picture of my module and wiring. I've now actually connected the USB/ MIC cable so now got a spare USB that comes out in small cubby hole at front of centre console. The Mic cable is tied out of the way, normal voice activation works without it.
Hope this helps,
Rob.
Motor vehicle Font Parallel Paper Diagram

·
Registered
569 Posts
One thing I have noticed is that you can still use your old radio stations that are pre set, but listening to the same stations on the radio apps I've uploaded to Android auto, sound so much better for some reason.
I'm still not sure why some sellers are asking £500+ for this piece of kit - has theirs got something mine hasn't?
RRRaych - you've just got to invest in one, wouldn't be without mine now.

·
Registered
MY14 - 2.2SD4 Prestige Aut.
9 Posts
Hi remember2

Good to see another Danish Evoque pilot on this page.
Can you tell me where you got the mmi box from, I have long been looking for a place where it could be bought in Denmark

·
Registered
2014 Evoque SD4 Dynamic
24 Posts
Can I ask what you mean by where you’ve mounted the WiFi antenna as I have this kit which I’m looking at installing soon?

Hi RRRaych, yes that's exactly how it works - so the only thing you haven't got is the use of your original nav. My maps were well out of date (2013), now I've got google maps and waze set up on android auto, which are live and obviously up to date.
As I said, the only difference with mine was that it didn't have the 2 antenna, just a WiFi antenna which I mounted under the pull off grill in the middle of the dash - wire goes behind centre air vents (I removed them first) and into new module hidden inside front of main centre gear console. The seller has told me this is the latest model with antenna built in - all I know is that it works perfectly.
I've no idea what the £500+ modules have that mine hasn't - that's a lot of money! My only concern was loosing some original functions, but have lost nothing.
This is the user guide picture of my module and wiring. I've now actually connected the USB/ MIC cable so now got a spare USB that comes out in small cubby hole at front of centre console. The Mic cable is tied out of the way, normal voice activation works without it.
Hope this helps,
Rob.
View attachment 12331

·
Registered
569 Posts
The WiFi antenna is in the picture I posted earlier of the 'user guide'.
What don't you understand about the way I installed it?
Can you take a picture of exactly what you have in your kit?

·
Registered
2014 Evoque SD4 Dynamic
24 Posts
Apologies, I didn't understand what you meant by under the pull off grill in the middle of the dash part? The kit I've got is exactly like what you've posted in the user guide, I just don't know where the WiFi antenna is to be mounted.
The WiFi antenna is in the picture I posted earlier of the 'user guide'.
What don't you understand about the way I installed it?
Can you take a picture of exactly what you have in your kit?

·
Registered
569 Posts
I tried to mount it away from any metal and high up close to the windscreen - whether that makes any difference to the reception it receives is anyone's guess, but it works fine for me.
The top dash grill is for the extra speaker that is fitted on upgraded models, mine hasn't got one under there. So I levered the grill off and took the centre air vents out (2 srews), placed the antenna under the grill and threaded the wire from it down behind the removed air vents and eventually into the control box I'd mounted under the centre console.
Hope that explains it better?

·
Registered
2014 Evoque SD4 Dynamic
24 Posts
Typical, I’ve got a speaker under the top dash grill.. Did you have to set any of the dip switches on the module unit?
It does thank you. I shall have a look in mine tomorrow to see if mine has the extra speaker or not. Cheers for your help
I tried to mount it away from any metal and high up close to the windscreen - whether that makes any difference to the reception it receives is anyone's guess, but it works fine for me.
The top dash grill is for the extra speaker that is fitted on upgraded models, mine hasn't got one under there. So I levered the grill off and took the centre air vents out (2 srews), placed the antenna under the grill and threaded the wire from it down behind the removed air vents and eventually into the control box I'd mounted under the centre console.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts