Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I plan to order an coupe with active driveline --> The car will be used in off-road too.

After reading some details about this car here is my conclusion about the traction system:
1) Regular evoque:
<ul>[*]Uses haldex for 4WD --> When wheel slip is detected or in off-road modes it engages the rear wheels.[*]In case one wheel is sleeping then it is braked via ABS so some torque is passed to the other wheel for gaining some traction = this is electronic differential and it is not that effective[*]Both front and rear have electronic differentials[/list]2) Evoque equiped with active driveline

<ul>[*]It still uses haldex or a similar system for engaging the rear wheels when needed but it has the ability to be driven in FWD mode on highway or when needed.[*]This is the important difference --> The rear diff uses clutches to pass torque to each wheel. This is much efficient on offroad than electronic diffs because you don't loose momentum on slippery surfaces.[*]The front still uses an electronic diff but when climbing a hill the rear is more important (depending on the hill inclination)[/list]
Please tell me if all these are correct and your views / feedback from offroad testing.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
This explains it with pictures!

https://youtu.be/Tp7VFQWZkV8Edited by: Steve D

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Active drivetrain looks great, but...

Wonder if there will be more wear with Active drivetrain, especially at the back with that twin clutch disconnect system.

Not so much for new cars, but could be a problem a number of years later.

·
Registered
824 Posts
colin4x4 said:
Active drivetrain looks great, but..
+1
My thoughts exactly - I hung around putting off the decision to get an Evoque for at least 6 months as I waited for the then recently announced Active Driveline to be made available.
I gave up waiting in the end but dont regret it in the slightest, as I came to the conclusion that although AD was a pretty cool &efficientmeans of putting down the power, its extra cost & complexity would probably make it just another thing to go wrong with very little to be gained when looked at on the cost/benefits chart.

Similar cost/benefit to the Stop-Start eco button - All that tech & associated cost just to save an average of £10 per year in fuel!!
Ref :-http://www.evoqueownersclub.co.uk/forum/eco-stop-start_topic8947_post117864.html?KW=saving#117864

Edited by: restyler

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
restyler said:
....Similar cost/benefit to the Stop-Start eco button - All that tech & associated cost just to save an average of £10 per year in fuel!!Ref :-http://www.evoqueownersclub.co.uk/forum/eco-stop-start_topic8947_post117864.html?KW=saving#117864
Actually start stop savings is a total con, as start stop was introduced as a way to meet emission standards.

As you say it saves hardly any fuel at all, if any, and just wears down your engine, and is just a nuisanceat lights and junctions, and could even be dangerous losing engine in certain circumstances.

Mine is switched OFF every journey.

·
Premium Member
10,626 Posts
I'm in the opposite camp and quite like the idea of Stop/Start. Before the LRA Assist guy fixed our (car not recognising key problem, he managed to delete all the Data on the cars history), the car was showing 9hrs Stop Start in 10 months. Surely thats a fair amount of fuel saved.

Regarding Active Driveline, I like this piece of tech as well.

My 4 Series actively adjusts the driveline requirements in a similar way to the Evoque, but it also has has 4 different drive settings, Eco-pro, Comfort, Sport and Sport Plus mode. Eco-Pro is very good in town driving with the added bonus of selecting RWD only and I tend to use this quite a lot when town driving.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Evo-king said:
....the car was showing 9hrs Stop Start in 10 months. Surely thats a fair amount of fuel saved.
According to my previous calculations on this, (1litre costing £1.10), that works out as a saving of £9.90
Congrats

Although, I think I'll keep mine disabled & probably save more in the long run through less wear of the starter motor & no need to replace Start/Stop battery after 4 years, & a lot less stress on my part at junctions

Edited by: restyler

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here in Romania I can really take the car off-road on all sort of "roads". Active driveline (especially the rear differential) would really help. There will be places where I will not be able to go anyway due to the ground clearance and tires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts