Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've just had my 9th service at my local indie, at 80000 miles, pretty much trouble free (y)🤞

Service, MOT, Timing belt, tensioner, water pump, accessory belt, and some rear Pads to get it through the MOT.

It did decide to do the classic, coolant low warning after it cleared an airlock as it has had the coolant replaced with the water pump change, luckily as they kept it overnight it did it on the garage forecourt, so they topped it up before I left.

Stupidly I already had the pads ready to go in, but having used it so little recently, hadn't bothered to check.

Finger crossed the trouble free remains, and next year will be the diff services :oops: then I can relax and hope for a few more simple years.

If one thing is a pain, its my gearstick top has become sharp because the chrome finish is cracking, and that will be (some might remember) because my gear stick knob came off in my hands in the first week! And was refitted by the dealer under warranty, who probably fractured the chrome forcing it on.

Otherwise its still as good as the day I picked it up :cool:

Strangely all I see on this forum is battery issues, charge your battery etc, Yet my car has never once shown the low Battery warning, despite leaving lights on, using radio upto the 10 min use shutdown, leaving it for weeks unused outside, its always started on the button, and still the original AGM battery, now 9 years old!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
...that in summary is what’s called a ‘one careful owner’ Evoque...maybe that’s the difference between your RRE and everyone else’s ✊

...or it’s a huge stroke of luck? Fair play though...80k, 9yrs and pretty much a trouble free life is what any good motor should do these days. Maybe it’s destined for a museum one day as the only RRE that’s been headache free?

·
Registered
2013 SD4 Dynamic Lux
66 Posts
Notice that you've only just had timing belt etc done at 9 years, I thought they changed it to 7? Mine is a 62 plate and just turned 50k, when would mine need timing belt, water pump etc? Thank you 👍

·
Registered
MY2016 Evoque Autobiography 2.0L DIESEL 5 DOOR / L538
225 Posts
Strangely all I see on this forum is battery issues, charge your battery etc, Yet my car has never once shown the low Battery warning, despite leaving lights on, using radio upto the 10 min use shutdown, leaving it for weeks unused outside, its always started on the button, and still the original AGM battery, now 9 years old!
Well done :)
Does yours have start/stop ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Notice that you've only just had timing belt etc done at 9 years, I thought they changed it to 7? Mine is a 62 plate and just turned 50k, when would mine need timing belt, water pump etc? Thank you 👍
I was under the same impression - 7 years. I had the same query over at the Disco Sport forums after getting inconclusive answers from the dealers. This was a reply from one of the ITK's over there:

To try and explain the confusion on the timescales of the cambelt.

The PSA unit is available in two power outputs, TD4 (150) and SD4 (190). These units were predominantly fitted to Freelander and Evoque Mk 1.

Initially, the cambelt service interval was 10 years/160000 miles. However, around 2014 it was noticed that the higher powered engine (SD4) was experiencing cambelt-related issues, so the service interval was reduced to 7 years. This applies to the SD4 (190) only, which was also fitted at launch to L550.

It should be noted that it wasn't the belts that were giving way, it was the water pump/tensioners that were failing prematurely, causing catastrophic damage. It is imperative that the ancillary components are changed at the same time as the belt, as these have been identified as the root cause of the problem, and subsequently, the earlier service interval.

Sadly, the MS&S teams at JLR made a total Horlicks of communicating this information to owners, but dealers were advised in an SSM, which they will happily confirm. And just to confuse you even further, the 3+ fixed price for a cambelt change at a dealer is BELT ONLY, so don't be fooled. Get a price for everything, as the actual belt in itself is the last thing that is likely to fail.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
60 Posts
How much are we're looking at for a timing belt kit replacement at a local indy ?

·
Super Moderator
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well done :)
Does yours have start/stop ?
Yes! Being manual it had it from the start... I do tend to turn it off though, although its never worked overly well!

·
Super Moderator
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For the decision to change the belt, the original spec for servicing I had, had it at 9 years, given its only just reached 80000, I wasn't inclined to do it earlier and my indie didn't seem that fussed about it needing doing, but very glad they did the pump and tensioner, etc.

It wasn't itemised for labour but If I take off the normal service and MOT and some for brakes, I'd guess the belt/pump part of the job was around £500.

·
Registered
2013 Evoque Coupe Dynamic 2.2 SD4 Auto
150 Posts
I was under the same impression - 7 years. I had the same query over at the Disco Sport forums after getting inconclusive answers from the dealers. This was a reply from one of the ITK's over there:
Great info, thanks.

·
Registered
2012 SD4 Dynamic Lux
1,544 Posts
Yep, mines coming up to 9 years/67,000 miles and apart from one door lock and general consumable items such as tyres, battery, cam belt and brakes, I've had no trouble with mine either. I think the earlier models were built tougher! Oh, I did have the rear camera pack up 5 months ago and I swapped it over with one of the others but the faulty camera hads now started working again. :)

Reactions: PhilSkill

·
Registered
60 Posts
Had a quote from a local independent today. £775 with genuine LR parts and £540 with non LR parts.
Was yours with LR parts ?

·
Super Moderator
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Had a quote from a local independent today. £775 with genuine LR parts and £540 with non LR parts.
Was yours with LR parts ?
All Genuine LR Parts. As they uphold Warranty on servicing (Not that that matters to me anymore) But they tend to charge trade on the parts, not full list and generally cheaper than I could buy myself.

For something like Water pump and Belt, I prefer to use genuine parts, Pads on the other hand i'm not too fussed, just a decent brand.

·
Registered
60 Posts
All Genuine LR Parts. As they uphold Warranty on servicing (Not that that matters to me anymore) But they tend to charge trade on the parts, not full list and generally cheaper than I could buy myself.

For something like Water pump and Belt, I prefer to use genuine parts, Pads on the other hand i'm not too fussed, just a decent brand.
That's a great price with LR parts ! I've done some more digging and it seems Gates timing belt kits come highly recommended, oem quality or better.

·
Registered
2013 SD4 Dynamic Lux
66 Posts
Just tried clickmechanic online, quoted £390 for timing belt kit, water pump, coolant/anti freeze, labour and vat. My daughter used them for same job on focus with no issues, anyone else used them? 👍

·
Registered
2013 L538 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
2,062 Posts
Just tried clickmechanic online, quoted £390 for timing belt kit, water pump, coolant/anti freeze, labour and vat. My daughter used them for same job on focus with no issues, anyone else used them? 👍
Is that a mobile mechanic that does it on your drive then? That seems like a great price but I’d want some reassurance that they do a great job on your lovely Evoque.
Badly fitted and tensioned will have dire consequences:-(

·
Registered
2013 L538 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
2,062 Posts
Great post Phil, good to hear you are still a happy bunny 9 years in.

That sounds like a great price for genuine JLR parts. Surprised to read that a practical chap like your self paid someone to replace your pads.
There‘s a super vid on YouTube of how to put the rear brakes in to maintenance mode, oh yes I remember now, that was your vid :)

Drive carefully and here’s to the next 9 years of Evoquing.

Reactions: PhilSkill
1 - 20 of 29 Posts