Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

Have a 66 plate that I want to swap out the rear pads and discs on.
Can anyone advise how to put the EPB into service mode?

I tried the 2 second on EPB/throttle method which doesn’t work. I know the car was updated around the time mine was registered and mine is the later version (without the side buttons to the centre display for example). The 2 second method maybe isn’t correct for this year?

The handbook gives instructions to turn off the EPB but as soon as the ignition goes off the EPB comes back on.

Any advice gratefully received

·
Registered
1,819 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Going to have another go today. I’ve tried numerous times to put it into service mode, but whilst I can hear the callipers releasing at no point have I ever got a message to says its in service mode.

I’ve watched the video so I can see what it should say. Is anyone with a 66 plate onwards able to confirm it will work on these year cars? All the instructions, videos and posts I’ve read about this are referring to pre 66 cars. The fact I can’t get it to work (I’ve tried maybe 20 times) is what is making me question if this works on later cars.

My only other option is to leave the ignition on, EPB off and replace the discs and pads before the ignition goes off. There is a section in the manual which talks about stopping the EPB coming on. (Page 133). It says to hold EPB in release position, turn ignition off within 5 seconds and hold EPB for further 2 seconds. This “prevents automatic operation whilst the vehicle is stationary “. However how long this lasts for I’ve no idea.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Hi Lloyd

DO NOT do this unless you are confident it is in the brake service mode, indicated on the dash.

If you try to leave the handbrake off, the car will shut down and apply the handbrake anyway.
At best this will damage your brakes if part disassembled, at worst it will damage you.

:-(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Lloyd

DO NOT do this unless you are confident it is in the brake service mode, indicated on the dash.

If you try to leave the handbrake off, the car will shut down and apply the handbrake anyway.
At best this will damage your brakes if part disassembled, at worst it will damage you.

:-(
Hi chaps.

Thankyou, appreciate the messages.

I tried again to get it into service mode, but I cannot get it to work. I must have tried it another 15-20 times this morning, including holding EPB/throttle for more than 2 seconds and a few other variations etc. The EPB audibly goes off, but the second the ignition is turned off it resets. I never got the service mode message to appear in the dash.

My Evoque is the one where the dash electronics changed around 2016, (don't know if there is a proper designation?). The centre part of the main dash is different to the one shown in the pics/youtube videos. There's no reason this should change how the EPB service mode is activated but I cant think of anything else different from my car to the one in the vids/posts on the subject.

Instead I've followed the manuals instructions to stop the EPB coming on whilst the car is stationary (P133). I was concerned that at some point a timer would reset the brakes, but I swapped both rear sets of pads/discs in around 45 mins and in that time it didn't. To be on the safe side, as soon as the caliper was off, I set a rewind tool in place and left it there until I was ready to refit the caliper.

The calipers wound back ok but are among the tighter calipers I've encountered. I used a rewind set, you are not doing these with a pair of slip joint pliers, if for no other reason than the plastic housing of the EPB is in the way for that method!

Carefully pump brake pedal to push the pistons back out after each side swapped. Once both sides swapped, the EPB reset instantly once you start the ignition and pull up the EPB switch. No fault messages or issues on a test drive.

Who knows. Maybe I'm just feckless and you can put this era car into service mode, but if not then the job can still be done. :smile:

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Well congrats, you are a braver man than me!

You clearly like that little extra jeopardy while servicing the brakes.

Good thinking to keep the rewind tool in place. Were your discs okay or did you replace them too?

:)

·
Registered
581 Posts
I've attached the relevant page from the Topix workshop manual, the is for my car a 66 plate 2017 2.0 diesel Ingenium engine convertible.
I can assure you that this procedure WORKS!

I know some people who do their own maintenance use this procedure but also unplug the EPB at the callipers to be absolutely sure!

Remember keeping the ignition on only stays like that for about 8 mins., then automatically turns off!

I have known people print the instructions out and perform the procedure, only to pull the EPB switch when it should be pushed and visa versa!

If you have a diagnostic tool it doesn't work when entering 'service mode' as it was changed in 2016 with the introduction of the new electronics on the car.
Frustrating if you have a diagnostic tool that works on Freelander 2 and early Evoques!

Best

Ian

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,358 Posts
Glad you got it sorted, I guess at least you can stop the EPB applying when parked, I'm not aware of that on the earlier cars.

You could have of course unplugged the EPB motor cable to be totally safe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After review of many forum posts and youtube videos, and after purchase of an electronic after market service manual for multi-years (which wasn't correct for my year), here is what I have determined in relation to my 2017 Evoque and disabling the EPB, in hopes this will help someone...

In short, the 2017 will not go into full 'Service Mode' using the "EPB switch/accelerator pedal/2 second wait/ignition off then on" process. Ian Richardson's post just a couple above this one includes a PDF of those process steps, which don't work for me nor for some others I have found across the forums. If they work for you that's awesome. I haven't been able to find any process steps which will get my 2017 into Service Mode (Service Mode meaning you can drive the car around and the EPB never engages again unless you remove it from Service Mode).

However, the great news is that I have found a way to confidently disable the EPB for a single non-driving cycle, but the EPB will once again assume the normal state when the car is started. The steps for this process are contained in the 2017 paperback Owner's Manual in the "Electric Parking Brake" section, as noted by Lloyd Barnes in a post above where it worked for him but he wasn't sure how long it would be in effect. These steps are not in older Evoque owner's manuals (at least not in the 2015 manual which I also have). I have done some tests and also have an idea of why Land Rover has changed the steps....

Using the old process steps we as consumers could "permanently" disable the EPB, which I think is a safety concern on Land Rover's part. Therefore they removed that option for consumers and replaced it with the ability to disable the EPB while the vehicle is parked so the brakes could safely be serviced by us, but upon starting the engine the EPB system would once again be fully functional, thus removing the potential that consumers could be driving around with the EPB automatic system disengaged.

I initiated the steps, shown below, and the EPB remained disabled overnight, so there is no timer clicking that might re-engage the system while we have the rear brake disassembled. I also locked and unlocked the vehicle, operated the automatic trunk opening with my foot to both open and close the trunk and none of those things re-engaged the EPB system. The only thing I have found that will re-engage the system is to either start the car, or turn the ignition on (press the start/stop button without your foot on the brake) and then turn the ignition off. (In the latter, to be clear, turning the ignition on did not re-engage the EPB, but turning the ignition off did).

So as long as you stay clear of that start/stop button the EPB will, with confidence, remain disabled.

Here are the two methods described in the owner's manual, but in my own words since they left out having your foot on the brake as part of the process. Both methods have the same result of successfully disabling the EPB for a single parking cycle. I believe they offer two methods so you have the option of disabling the EPB as you are parking the car, or by restarting a parked car and then disabling the EPB.
  • Method 1 (convenient when parking the car since it's already in Drive)
    1. With the engine running and the transmission in anything but Park
    2. Depress and hold the brake pedal
    3. Press and hold the EPB switch
    4. Shift to Park
    5. Wait at least 2 seconds
    6. Release the EPB switch
    7. Turn off the ignition
  • Method 2 (convenient when the car is parked and off)
    1. Start the engine
    2. With the engine running and in Park
    3. Depress and hold the brake pedal
    4. Press and hold the EPB switch
    5. Within 5 seconds turn off the ignition
    6. Keep holding the EPB switch for at least 2 seconds
Hope this helps. Best regards,
Greg in Arizona

Also posted a short video...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts