Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Evoque was in for its first Mot today. It should have been in last week but my local main dealer had an issue with some of their Mot testing equipment so I had to go to an independent garage and in some ways it turned out to be lucky if you call failing lucky. Yes I dropped it off this morning for what I thought would be a formality

Got a call at lunchtime to say it had failed. What!!! How can that be. Sorry but your back discs are rusted on the inside and the pads are worn by 95%. Umm okay it’s a year since it was serviced and it wasn’t an issue then and the car has only covered less than 6000 miles since then and 18000 miles in three years.

On the plus side the MOT and pads and discs were replaced for £370 Probably half or a third less than the main dealer would take I bet.

I was considering trading it in for a new model but unfortunately I was offered a rubbish price to trade it in and I was in negative equity so I will keep it another year and had it back.

Now its 3 years old and I’m going to keep it it gets expensive again paying for in control subscription etc and extended warrant. Not a cheap option. i Have never had any issues but I don’t want to take a chance of not having a warranty.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My Evoque was in for its first Mot today. It should have been in last week but my local main dealer had an issue with some of their Mot testing equipment so I had to go to an independent garage and in some ways it turned out to be lucky if you call failing lucky. Yes I dropped it off this morning for what I thought would be a formality

Got a call at lunchtime to say it had failed. What!!! How can that be. Sorry but your back discs are rusted on the inside and the pads are worn by 95%. Umm okay it’s a year since it was serviced and it wasn’t an issue then and the car has only covered less than 6000 miles since then and 18000 miles in three years.

On the plus side the MOT and pads and discs were replaced for £370 Probably half or a third less than the main dealer would take I bet.

I was considering trading it in for a new model but unfortunately I was offered a rubbish price to trade it in and I was in negative equity so I will keep it another year and had it back.

Now its 3 years old and I’m going to keep it it gets expensive again paying for in control subscription etc and extended warrant. Not a cheap option. i Have never had any issues but I don’t want to take a chance of not having a warranty.
I had a similar issue two weeks ago but mine was only an advisory on all four discs with the rear ones particularly worn. 4 years old and 26K miles. This was at an independent JLR garage.

Someone on the Forum had kindly mentioned the fixed price servicing scheme for LRs over 3 years old where the menu stated £315 incl VAT for rear discs and pads. However it is "participating retailers only" and guess what- my usual main dealer Lloyds Ripon doesn't participate. They came back with a quote for £394 instead.

What was surprising though is that the quote from the local JLR independent (Green Oval Wetherby) was £452.

So you got an excellent deal, including the MOT charge, at £370 - presumably less than £315 with the MOT adding £56 or so.

Regarding mine, it was only advisory and I'll be OK for a few months more in the current environment.

·
Registered
454 Posts
According to his post the OP's pads were worn but his discs were rusted, your advisory was for worn discs, which happens.
I have just had an advisory for rusted discs (not worn) on my wife's Evoque. I haven't looked at the discs yet but how the hell do discs on a car in daily use rust?

·
Registered
102 Posts
According to his post the OP's pads were worn but his discs were rusted, your advisory was for worn discs, which happens.
I have just had an advisory for rusted discs (not worn) on my wife's Evoque. I haven't looked at the discs yet but how the hell do discs on a car in daily use rust?
Sorry, forget to mention mine are rusty and corroded too per the advisory (and look it from the outside!). I only use the car a two or three times per week.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
One of my Evoque's rear discs were well corroded (not rusty). Car is 4+yrs old, 22K miles.
Told that these are not covered by extended warranty (only if the car is less than 12 months old!!).
Had them (discs and pads) replaced last week by my main dealer for £315.
Excellent service by my dealer (Bucks JLR at Aylesbury). Had loan Jaguar whilst they fixed these and replaced a faulty passenger door latch (under warranty). They even were open (but techinically closed) this Tuesday so that I could pick the car up!)

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
11,138 Posts
Brake discs corrode more on cars that sit about . Drive more ;)

·
Registered
2013 L538 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
1,902 Posts
The MOT failure is a real disappointment, especially when only three years old.

Just had my 4th at 7 years old and it passed no problem. There was an advisory as the rear pads are over 80% worn.
I replaced them (pads only) at 40k miles and have now done 76,000 miles.
Just bought Brembo UV coated disc and pads for about £90 delivered. Will be fitting them soon.
Hopefully the UV coating will prevent the rust and general corrosion.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Brake discs corrode more on cars that sit about . Drive more ;)
But my Evoque sits in one of my dehumidified garages along with one of my classic cars, which has far less use and they have no corrosion what so ever! So it is nothing to do with lack of use (confirmed by the Jag technition that came to inspect the car, confirmed - he said that it is an issue , shared withe the Jags).

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
1 of the benefits of living in N Ireland 4 years before 1st MOT

That and you can still go out for a walk?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
268 Posts
my discs and pads were ok last year when I bought the car took it in for the egr recall and they tried the old discs and pad scam not only on me but the 3 other customers before me waiting to pick up the cars ,so I took it to an independent who checked the whole car for me ,he said there was a bit of ware but they wouldn't need changing for a good few months ,so end of feb I had them changed £152 fitted,today flew the mot ,jlr never contacted me as the warrany run out last week ,plus tbh I wouldn't go near the place by choice after the rip off attempt on my first visit ,

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
11,138 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Probably lack of use. It only gets used at the weekends now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
There has been a major problem with rusting rear discs on the Disco Sport. (Here is one of several threads): Rusty brake discs & Calipers - Discovery Sport Forums. It seems inferior discs were fitted and many, including mine, were changed under warranty. The Evoque has the same brakes.
If the discs are worn on one side only then the brakes aren't working properly. The calipers need checking.
I don't think it's always a scam from dealers. Given that the service interval is now nominally 21000 miles, they presumably have to ensure that the brakes have that amount of use left in them (at least in theory, since some discs seem to have lasted less than 6000 miles!) and recommend a change if they think the pads/discs won't last that long.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not anymore I’m gonna work the shop walk the dog and that’s it we’re locked down too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Spock - MY20 D180 Evoque R-Dynamic SE Santorini Black Pimp-Wagon!
97 Posts
I don't think it's always a scam from dealers. Given that the service interval is now nominally 21000 miles, they presumably have to ensure that the brakes have that amount of use left in them (at least in theory, since some discs seem to have lasted less than 6000 miles!) and recommend a change if they think the pads/discs won't last that long.
I agree with most of what you said but it mostly is a scam from dealers along with tyres and their MOT prices. The most the service interval can be is 21k but it won't be as it is dependent on the driving pattern. Plus, the pads have wear sensors on now so will warn you {usually about 2 years too early}! Also how does a "technician" know how long 8mm of pad material will last? So many factors determine that. Stealers make the uninitiated change these parts all the time and sod the environment! :mad:

·
Registered
41 Posts
You're right of course, but the service interval doesn't depend on driving style. Except in "arduous conditions" it's 21000 miles or 24 months (for a diesel). If the car asks for a service earlier that's an "oil service" - oil and filter change only, and while most dealers would do a free brake check it's not mandatory. A dealer could argue that the brakes are a safety feature and that most owners wouldn't ever check them.
Just playing devil's advocate here. :cool:
I've only ever had to change discs twice - once on a Jeep, and that could have been a dodgy dealer or shoddy materials (probably both), and once on the DS, done under warranty owing to poor materials. The last occurred at 10000 miles, after which the car happily did another 40000 on the discs, although they were looking a bit rough again when I traded it in).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts