Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do anyone know the quality of this system? Or even better, have you heard it?I've already ordered, but I don't think it's to late to change it so wanted to make sure not to opt for the 825W.

Basicly, is it worth 1,5k (here) to go for the 825W? Or is the 380W more than good enough to play loud music with good quality and bass?

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's a very personal thing but I believe that the 380W is excellent and sounds good at loud volume. However, the source quality is key - it I much better with CD than with iPod, although that is still great in practical terms. Bob Seger sounded great. I haven't heard the more powerful system so unfortunately I can't give you a good comparison on that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks :)
Did you try it with an iPod/iPhone? Do you have to use the AUX and USB, or just the USB?

I have a Harman/Kardon (420w I think) in my current BMW 3, so if it sounds pretty close to this I'm more than satisfied. But of course its not just the watts that count. Does anyone have experience with both of these systems and have/can compare them?

I'm also not familiar with Meridian (I'm guessing they're from the uk), do they make good products?

·
Registered
361 Posts
The meridian sound staging technology is truly amazing...no matter where you are in the evoque you listen to equal sound....both gradeshave awesome range....each ear is different... some expect TONNES of base....Some like the crisp of the treble

Opinions will differ based of your previous ICE...whether from factory spec or custom installations.

I am confident you will not hear a betterfactory spec..... both options will sound top quality...best source ofcourse will always be direct from a CD

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hammerfold said:
Did you try it with an iPod/iPhone? Do you have to use the AUX and USB, or just the USB?

I have a Harman/Kardon (420w I think) in my current BMW 3, so if it sounds pretty close to this I'm more than satisfied. But of course its not just the watts that count. Does anyone have experience with both of these systems and have/can compare them?

I'm also not familiar with Meridian (I'm guessing they're from the uk), do they make good products?

I too had never heard of Meridian before the evoque came along
Done a bit of research on the toys they offer ...main business would be home entertainment

You could go out and spend £1000's on bespoke systems if your budget allows....£2500 would get you a nice I-pod dock

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, in my opinion the treble is the most important but you also need to "feel" the bass when you turn the volume up ;)
But I'm not a hifi fanatic, so from what you're writing it sounds like I'll be satisfied with the 380w. Especially if they're known to make good products.

But no iPod dock could be worth 2,5k ;)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hammerfold said:
You don't happen to know the size of the sub in the 380w setup by the way?

Nope..........in all fairness I personaly would not be to concerned of the size.....more so the quality...so my misses tells me

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
8 Posts
I must say that anything will be better than what I have now - even the "premium" Bose in the Audi can't do anything with MP3 files - I'm pleased to get a CD player once again!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hammerfold said:

Meridian have been around for a while - they are based in Cambridge, UK. They make high-end (and very expensive!) home audio/entertainment systems. It was a company formed by two people one being an 'audio' engineer and the other an industrial designer. So, they have always had great sound and stunning looks/build quality. Even my wife would agree that any Meridian kit is a real joy to look at - I tend not to tell her how much it costs though.....

They are not a high-volume business, they have typically focussed on real high-end sound. I have had the privilege of meeting Bob Stuart (the 'audio' guy) a few times and he is purely focussed on creating the best audio experience you can create. They really came to the fore in the 'digital era' and their kits is designed to really exploit CD type media. Anything that has Bob Stuart's name to it will sound fantastic - he is very demanding. One thing I can tell you is that even the 380W system will be sensitive to the quality of the input - CD sounds MUCH better than an iPod unless you sample the music using a lossless converter. Even then, CD will still sound better. I would expect the surround-sound capabilities of the 825W system to be stunning but, even as a huge Meridian fan, I decided against that upgrade due to the fact that it is in a car and therefore in quite a harsh environment.

I did also try it with an iPod (using 256 Kbps AAC) and the sound was OK, not as good as the CD quality but OK and it has the convenience of being able to carry all your music with you. The other thing I tried was pairing my iPhone with it and streaming music over Bluetooth - again this sounded OK.

Edited by: AJB

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks AJB for your info. I had heard about Meridian (remember NOT being able to afford their speakers when I was in my twenties) and am going for the 380 W as one can always go with some aftermarket add ons if needed.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Been playing about with one of our demo cars today...figured out how toupload the " merdian demo CD" to the hard drive....took about 9 minutes to upload 12 tracks to the virtual CD changer while we listen to a bit of DAB... the Demo disc being a mix of genre....suits all tastes when you listen to it....every dealerWILL have one....nice if you could copy it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mortz, Do you know where the sub woofer is located in the 11 speaker setup?

·
Registered
361 Posts
MPK said:
Mortz, Do you know where the sub woofer is located in the 11 speaker setup?

The 380 watt does not have it's own dedicated Sub

The 825 watt does and it is located under the Front Passenger seat

·
Registered
118 Posts
Meridian make great stuff - I'm listening to Amy Winehouse through my G91 digital pre-amp and 557 power amp at the moment. I've only gone for the standard audio and I doubt Meridian would put their name to it if it wasn't good.

Bob Stuart is an audio genius and started life making the iconic Lecson pre/power amplifiers in the 70s. They're actually based in Huntingdon, not Cambridge. The kit in the Evoque may be outsourced to China, Apple iPad style, who knows, but with Meridian design input, it will be fine.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts