1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think, Brianlawrence you have got it right. It's for the headlines.
A Range rover that does 55.5 mpg and costs less than £29,000 !!
We all know that it will use more fuel than that - and probably cost more once you have chosen a few "must have" goodies.

But it does make the headlines.

Graham

·
Registered
67 Posts
You can't blame LR, you can blame th EU and US emissions limits again. All manufacturers have to show that they have reduced emissions, on average, across their entire range. It's one of th reasons why even Aston Martin has to have the entirely irrelevant little hatchback in its range - because on average, it lowers there overall emissions.

Besides, you know, I know, amd certainly,LR know that 2WD landrovers sell to people who would never dream of going off road, one even getting it a little dirty. So a 2WD Evoque is a shoo in.

Finally, and maybe most importantly for LR, they are finally getting onto company car lists simply because of lower CO2 ratings and 2WD. I know this for a fact , as that's why I can suddenly get a Range Rover as a company car!

So, from me anyway, Nice One JLR! And good luck for developing a British built car that lots and lots of people actually want to buy and is winning top reviews everywhere it sells.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well as someone who has ordered an eD4 i can answer you Panda.
1. Money - saving a couple of £k on a smaller engine enables me to spec up on toys, which i will appreciate more than 4x4 functionality and brings the car in on budget.
2. Money - saving the extra miles per gallon is going to come in handy.
3. Money - saving the extra car tax money is going to come in handy.

I did the math and ok the TD4 wasnt a million miles away but it did stretch my budget out of my confort zone so had to opt for a eD4 Pure. What i doget thoughis an awesome looking car which i will love to drive and isin budget. Thats all we really want isnt it? I Live in Leeds, not the middle of the Yorkshire Dales so i am going to have ZERO requirement for 4x4 ability....just like most of the drivers who are going to buy this car. Its a luxury SUV people, not a farmers Landy!

The residuals are going to be just as good, if not better than the 4x4 versions,too so no concerns on future resale/trade in either.

Check some other reviews by Autotrader and Whatcar too for more commentary on the 2WD.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Believe me! After owning one for 2 months. It doesn't do anything like the mpg that LR state. If you get mid 30's you'll be lucky. I'm seriously disappointed with mine and would love to see anindependentreview.

·
Registered
465 Posts
markpeet what are u getting?

·
Super Moderator
2,489 Posts
Jonboy83 said:
1. Money - saving a couple of £k on a smaller engine enables me to spec up on toys, which i will appreciate more than 4x4 functionality and brings the car in on budget.
2. Money - saving the extra miles per gallon is going to come in handy.
3. Money - saving the extra car tax money is going to come in handy.

I did the math and ok the TD4 wasnt a million miles away but it did stretch my budget out of my confort zone so had to opt for a eD4 Pure. What i doget thoughis an awesome looking car which i will love to drive and isin budget. Thats all we really want isnt it? I Live in Leeds, not the middle of the Yorkshire Dales so i am going to have ZERO requirement for 4x4 ability....just like most of the drivers who are going to buy this car. Its a luxury SUV people, not a farmers Landy!

The residuals are going to be just as good, if not better than the 4x4 versions,too so no concerns on future resale/trade in either.

I agree with your post Jonboy.
Landrover now have a product that has opened up a new market for them and it has filled a gap that is refreshing and exciting for those of us who have so far only been able to admire range Rovers from a distance.
Considering practical needs and budget i'm sure they will totally win over Tiguan, kuga and qashqui buyers.
That in it's self that will nark a lot of people whom are more affluent and don't need too much justification to buy a couple of 4x4's.

As it happens, I don't want to type cast people. I went for a 4x4 SD4 and really just wanted the experience, where as I do know of at least one forum member who went for the 2WD with a cash payment so it would seem money need not be the driver for choosing a very capable 2WD stunner.

Enjoy your car

Edited by: kojak

·
Super Moderator
2,489 Posts
You are wrong....it says Range Rover on the bonnet,I saw it.

Also why are you sorry?Do you think ED4 buyers will be sorry when they get home and find out it isn't a a 4 wheel drive after all?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I think the debate of 2WD Vs 4WD for the Range Rover range will rage and rage. Personally I wouldn't entertain a Range Rover2WD. Has it not always been the case that Range Rover are 4WD? I see the point that they are getting into the company car market, making the brand more affordable and improving CO2 emmissions and this is their solution..Just wondering though - if the CO2 constraints weren't there would they have developed the 2WD version? Given the choice between a brand spanking new 2WD or a year old 4WD BBR (I doubt that is even equivalent in money terms)I'd go with the year old. I just feel more secure and confident that the 4WD will be a more solid car for the sake of the few extra MPGs

·
Super Moderator
2,489 Posts
Some good points there.It really is a matter of horses for courses after the buyer evaluates what matters most.

I bought the 3 series petrol version a couple of years back when I wanted the diesel. However refined the petrol engine has been, which happens to have been smooth as silk, I wrestled with myself through out the ownership feeling I'd made a mistake.
This time around that (and the 190BHP) weighted my decision to get the 4WD. I'll not look back with regret and wonder what I'm missing.

But I think the 2WD will fit the bill for a lot of people.

·
Registered
465 Posts
GTI said:
Ed4 is not a Range Rover,sorry

you are blind; sorry.

We went for ed4 and are paying cash. if we really wanted to go to sd4 we could but the mpg would be worse and a 4x4 drive is never as smooth as a 2wd. as previously stated this car is for school runs and other mumsie things. so a 2wd fit the bill.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all, well after 12 months of ownership I want to let you now my comments about the eD4 2WD. For a start, I have not touched my trip computer, so after 11000 miles I am averaging 32mpg, a long shot from the advertised figure. I am going to take this up with LR when the car has its first survey, and then potentially complain to the advertising standards. The MPG and CO2 emission levels were a driving force behind my purchase and I am disappointed with this.

The stop start has pretty much not worked since day one, again this may be why the MPG is not good. Many people have commented on this. My previous car was a Freelander, again with the stop start and this worked brilliantly. It turned on and off every time I used the car, not 10% of the time as the Evoque does.

The car has also just started shuddering very violently when turning the engine one, this has been a recent issue over the last couple of weeks, so again the first service will hopefully sort this out. I have to turn the engine off and restart it.

I have also had the bolts come loose on the drivers doors which has casued the door to make a very loud clicking noise when opening or closing. Thankfully the man who repaired a tyre puncture at Kwik Fit sorted this for me.

I have also lost a pin that support the parcel shelf. The car has been back to LR but they didnt fix this, they were going to wait for a part rather than take one from another car. They never called me back to do this.

I am also not happy with the quality of the interior plastics, the rear of the front seats are scratched terribly and I have had children in the back once, so really not very shoe friendly.

I have owned Volvo's and BMW's and paid a lot less that the £35k I paid for this RRE, and not had any quality issues. I have also had much better service from the dealer. It is a shame as I had a Freelander from new, and I could happily be a regular customer, but this has made me think twice. I would also look at buying the 4WD and in a higher spec if it means some of the cheap materials used on the 2WD were not present. Next time I wont allow so called 'green' credentials to sway my purchase decision.

Matt in London

·
Registered
750 Posts
There is a bit in Autocar this week about the new range of engines and transmissions that JLR are working on at the moment. Apparently they are due in 2014 and should offer a step change in terms of efficiency over the current Ford units. They are predicting that the Evoque will also benefit from a makeover at the same time.

If they do deliver the goods in terms of emissions and MPG, will be interesting to see if they drop the 2WD versions as I do not think that they are producing them for our benefit. I also wonder whether they might develop part-time 4WD whichperhaps makes more sense on a car like the Evoque.

·
Registered
465 Posts
a part time 4x4 would be brilliant

·
Registered
465 Posts
mwherd said:
Hi all, well after 12 months of ownership I want to let you now my comments about the eD4 2WD. For a start, I have not touched my trip computer, so after 11000 miles I am averaging 32mpg, a long shot from the advertised figure. I am going to take this up with LR when the car has its first survey, and then potentially complain to the advertising standards. The MPG and CO2 emission levels were a driving force behind my purchase and I am disappointed with this.

The stop start has pretty much not worked since day one, again this may be why the MPG is not good. Many people have commented on this. My previous car was a Freelander, again with the stop start and this worked brilliantly. It turned on and off every time I used the car, not 10% of the time as the Evoque does.

The car has also just started shuddering very violently when turning the engine one, this has been a recent issue over the last couple of weeks, so again the first service will hopefully sort this out. I have to turn the engine off and restart it.

I have also had the bolts come loose on the drivers doors which has casued the door to make a very loud clicking noise when opening or closing. Thankfully the man who repaired a tyre puncture at Kwik Fit sorted this for me.

I have also lost a pin that support the parcel shelf. The car has been back to LR but they didnt fix this, they were going to wait for a part rather than take one from another car. They never called me back to do this.

I am also not happy with the quality of the interior plastics, the rear of the front seats are scratched terribly and I have had children in the back once, so really not very shoe friendly.

I have owned Volvo's and BMW's and paid a lot less that the £35k I paid for this RRE, and not had any quality issues. I have also had much better service from the dealer. It is a shame as I had a Freelander from new, and I could happily be a regular customer, but this has made me think twice. I would also look at buying the 4WD and in a higher spec if it means some of the cheap materials used on the 2WD were not present. Next time I wont allow so called 'green' credentials to sway my purchase decision.

Matt in London

arrgh...thats a bit worrying

·
Registered
74 Posts
Why is the sd4 more of a RR than the ed4? Please show me the other Range Rover without a centre diff and an Haldex?

The sd4 is an assisted FWD drive the ed4 is an unassisted FWD.

Thats just if you want to get picky! But each to there own!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Not questioning you, just interested to know ....
As I understand it, the 4WD Evoques employ a full-time 4WD system than can shuffle the power between the axles as required.

I do not consider this assisted FWD but full time 4WD, to me anassisted FWD system implies part time 4WD or possibly a permanent 4WD with a very strongfixed bias towards FWD?

Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mechanically it is very simple, as per the the 4wd option you get in say a golf and nearly every FWD car where they want to also send some power to the back wheels.

Fundamentally the Evoque and Freelander is based on a heavily revised Mondeo platform. This has then had a haldex added to it to send some of the torque to the rear. A Haldex is basically the rear diff with a clutch system that will engage when there is a loss of traction at the front. The front axle is mechanically linked to the engine. This means with the Haldex locked you will get a 50:50 torque split. As it disengages the front gets more and the back less but the back can never have more than 50%, most of the time a lot less. A proper full time 4wd will have a centre diff which gets all the power then distributes the torque wherever it needs, usually rear biased.

So mechanically the Evoque is limited to what it can do. However it does have the very sophisticated electronics and this uses the brakes independently to force torque between L and R wheels and makes it very competent off road.

Now here is the bit that I am unsure of. All cars with Haldex systems have the rear disengaged all the time until its needed (why would you want it any other way?) but for the Evoque to be marketed as permanent 4wd it would have to be always engaged even if only by 5%.

So I draw 2 conclusions:

1. It is engaged all the time and is rinsing your wallet on the motorway just for the sake of marketing!
2. Or it is not full time 4wd like every other haldex but the marketing dept want you to believe otherwise.

I have heard various answers to this but none from credible sources. I am an engineer and unless I can speak to an Evoque development engineer I wont believe anything. No salesman or experience instructor will know this small but definitive difference.

I do know one thing for certain, a "proper" RR will never use a haldex. I only say it like that because thats how some people seem to understand
. Its not how I feel, I paid a RR price and thats what it says on the bonnet!

So those of you slating the ed4 please refer to your mondeo orgins and think again!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts