Evoque Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Randomly I get a situation when driving along you get a jerk to the right from the steering wheel, anyone had a similar issue? I can't induce it, it is so random. Might not happen for a few days and then it would happen twice in a row. I think its something to do with the "Emergency Lane Keeper" in the "Driver Assistance" menu because when I switch it off in the menu it doesn't seem to happen, only problem with doing this is that every time I lock the car it defaults to ON. Any thoughts appreciated. JLR Dealer has not come across the issue but agrees they think it is to do with the "Emergency Lane Keeper". Love every other aspect of the car by the way.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Just a dumb question from a yank that drives on the wrong side of the road :) If it is the"Emergency Lane Keeper", in the UK shouldn't you expect a jerk to the "left" to keep on your own side of the center line?

Reactions: Maffy

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was explained to me as a feature to keep you our of the Emergency Lane. If close to road edge it pushes you towards middle of road albeit it is a sudden turn.

JLR explanation:
"The emergency lane keeping system attempts to provide corrective steering inputs if it determines the vehicle is getting too close to a road edge. The system automatically switches on every time the vehicle is switched on. If required, the system can be switched off via the Driver assistance instrument panel menu"

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. So it does nothing to keep you from crossing the center line? I would think that was more important than the edge of the road.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have tried to switch it off permanently via the menu but it defaults to ON every time you lock the car. Car booked in to Dealer for a check. The guy I spoke to in Dealer seems to think that's the way its meant to work (strange). OK with me driving as I can react to it, I think if my wife was driving car she would panic and goodness knows where she would end up.

·
Banned
2020 D150, white, no extras!
114 Posts
These **** 'assistance' things that default to on all the time...they drive me nuts.
The front radar on my Polo defaults to on and will then slam the brakes on for you if it thinks you haven't seen something.
Thankfully I've managed to set up a shortcut for it to be switched off, which now just involves two presses of the right steeing wheel button.

·
Banned
114 Posts
OK with me driving as I can react to it, I think if my wife was driving car she would panic and goodness knows where she would end up.
Things like this also freak my wife out and will ruin her confidence in a car to the point it pretty much has to go.
Thankfully your fault hasn't arisen in ours, despite narrow Scottish roads.
I've heard of this sort of fault on other cars and it's fixed by recalibration of the controlling cameras/sensors.
Unless, of course, you just genuinely drive in the gutter all the time...in which case you need recalibrating. ;)

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
rsquared: There is another feature "Lane Keep Assist" which is meant to keep you from crossing lanes.
Thanks Trev, I didn't realize that they had two distinct features. I guess I was thinking of the Lane Keep Assist.

·
Banned
114 Posts
I warned my wife about the lane keep assist, she didn’t notice she’d accidentally switched it back on via the wheel and phoned me when it kicked in to ask how to switch it off again.
Thank god I’d warned her about it, as if it had done it ‘by surprise’ she’d probably have pulled over thinking something serious was amiss.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. Randomly I get a situation when driving along you get a jerk to the right from the steering wheel, anyone had a similar issue? I can't induce it, it is so random. Might not happen for a few days and then it would happen twice in a row. I think its something to do with the "Emergency Lane Keeper" in the "Driver Assistance" menu because when I switch it off in the menu it doesn't seem to happen, only problem with doing this is that every time I lock the car it defaults to ON. Any thoughts appreciated. JLR Dealer has not come across the issue but agrees they think it is to do with the "Emergency Lane Keeper". Love every other aspect of the car by the way.
what was the outcome of this as mine does this sometimes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts