Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
I have the following problem and can't figure out whats wrong
Like stated in the title, I have a 2019 Evoque with Touch Pro Duo.
Now i want to update the maps because mine are quite old now. So I downloaded the newest MapUpdater tool and logged into the landrover shop site where i can purchase the map update (I have a subscription though). Next I went to the maps&services tab and clicked on the download button for the newest map. It downloaded over the mapdownloader and installed it on my 64gb USB 3.0 usb Stick which was formatted to FAT32 beforehand.
Now my Problem is that when I plug the USB in the car, no messages pops up in the navigation system. Car is running. I even tried to disconnect all other devices but still no success. The USB is getting detected in sources though (tried 2 other ones aswell(1 of them even usb2.0).

Sadly not even range rover livechat could help me out here.
Does anyone know any solution?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
The only thing I could come up with is are you sure it’s really Fat32 they are formatted to. The reason I ask is I had the same problems the first time I updated my maps & it turned out my fat32 usb wasn’t. It then took a bit of doing to get my 64Gb usb stick formatted to fat32 as windows doesn’t want to do that to anything like that to a 64Gb. There is a thread on here somewhere with lots of info about formatting 64Gb usb sticks to fat32.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing I could come up with is are you sure it’s really Fat32 they are formatted to. The reason I ask is I had the same problems the first time I updated my maps & it turned out my fat32 usb wasn’t. It then took a bit of doing to get my 64Gb usb stick formatted to fat32 as windows doesn’t want to do that to anything like that to a 64Gb. There is a thread on here somewhere with lots of info about formatting 64Gb usb sticks to fat32.
Hey, Thanks for the info. I just checked again and it really is FAT32.
Its kind of odd. I tried it with 64GB, 128GB and 256GB sticks.All USB 3.0. and even an older 2.0

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I think I read somewhere that 64Gb was the largest it could read. For some unknown reason JLR have made all the map updates @ 33gb which is of course just too big for a 32gb stick. If they could have just done incremental updates instead of replacing the whole thing every time it would have made things so much quicker and so much easier.

The only other thing I would try, but I think you said you had tried, was to use a different 64Gb usb stick. Try re-downloading the maps too. I am on my 2nd 64Gb stick as the first one took over 24hrs to download the maps onto. I thought it was their website as it was a new usb stick, so persevered each month. Then I read that someone had similar problems which went away when they changed the usb stick. I bought another stick - different brand & it was a brilliant change, hours instead of days.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
There can often be a few glitches people get trying to do the new maps.
I can only say what works for me without any problems.
You have the 64GB stick formatted to Fat 32.
Make sure it's empty - completely empty including any security icons etc that can come with them.
Go to the "Here" site and log in Land Rover Route Planner
Don't go to the maps and services section you have free updates as you have said.
Click on "my account" and you will go to a new page with black boxes on the left.
Click on "downloads" and the map tailored for your car will be there.
Do the download.
Make sure the car is running and the nav has activated.
Remove any memory sticks for your tunes etc and then plug your map update stick in.
Wait whilst the car reads it and then agree to the download when the car asks you.

I'm sure others have managed it with other stuff on the stick etc etc but this way should work ok.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Ahh, I wasn’t aware of the “account-downloads” route.
I agree with the empty 64Gb stick fat32 (although if it has the old map update on it, the software does remove that then replace it with the new download), but I have always used the maps & services section & then downloaded the map update from there.
I will try the account-downloads route next time 👍

·
Registered
MY20.5 Range Rover Evoque (L551) First Edition P250 in Nolita Grey on a 70 plate
685 Posts
Same here - great instructions! Thanks

I shall also now use the 'downloads' section route.

Usually I faff about with the great long list of Maps and just choose one of the two free ones at the top of the list.

I also use a 64Gb stick which I dedicate for downloading the maps to.

One thing I'm not clear on though - will it only show in downloads if there is a new map to update.

Usually what I do is nip out to the car and push the centre screen buttons to check for a map update and then if it says there is one, come back in and logon to my PC and do it. Can I just logon with a PC and if there is something in downloads, it means that is the new map?

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I know using the way you and I have been checking, the map downloads are always there whether they are newer than the ones you have or not.
It would be handy if they only appeared in account-downloads when they were newer than the version downloaded last time.

Reactions: PhilB and rencar

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I think it just shows the latest map available on the site.
I used to keep a separate note of the version on the car but now I just can't be arsed.
I only ever update it a couple of times per year as I rarely use the nav,
Especially not at the moment too.
😷

Reactions: DKZ5745

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it just shows the latest map available on the site.
I used to keep a separate note of the version on the car but now I just can't be arsed.
I only ever update it a couple of times per year as I rarely use the nav,
Especially not at the moment too.
😷
Hey!
i tried your possible fix today and sadly it didnt work :(
Same thing. USB is FAT32 and map update is on it but no message on the display in the car.
Engine is running (ALL other devices disconnected)
USB is showing in sources though

I really dont know what to do to be honest

PS: Do you know the folder structure on the USB?
Maybe it has to do something with that

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Only thing that springs to mind is to check that the usb stick was completely empty before downloading the maps to it. The map downloader should have put the maps on the usb stick exactly as needed.

You could try deleting all the maps from the stick, then re-downloading them, it might just be a corrupt file.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Only thing that springs to mind is to check that the usb stick was completely empty before downloading the maps to it. The map downloader should have put the maps on the usb stick exactly as needed.

You could try deleting all the maps from the stick, then re-downloading them, it might just be a corrupt file.
oh theres nothing on the usb at all. i even "low level" formatted the usb so there is really nothing on it other than the maps.
And for downloading: i downloaded the files more than 10x now. even on 2 other computers im having the excat same problem

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
The only thing I can think of then is that the usb might not actually be FAT32, other than that we seem to have exhausted all the other possibilities.

I’m not sure how you are formatting your USB stick to FAT32. If you are using windows, it will not be formatting to FAT32 as it can’t do anything over 32gb.

There is a way you can do it though....

You can format USB Drive larger than 32 GB to FAT32 System using Windows PowerShell. However, the process is less efficient and is prone to take longer during formatting.

Step 1. Once you are on the home screen of your Windows system, use the shortcut "Windows + X" to go to the Start menu.

Step 2. Now, in the menu, look for the "Windows PowerShell (Admin)" option and click on it to open PowerShell as the Admin.

format 128gb usb flash drive to fat32 6

Step 3. Once you are on the PowerShell window, type the command "format /FS: FAT32 #:" and press Enter to process the command. (Feed your Drive letter at the place of #).

format 128gb usb flash drive to fat32 7

Once the command is given, your 64 GB USB Drive will start formatting to FAT32 system. It might take several hours to complete the process, but if you want to be quick, you can use several third-party apps to perform the task efficiently.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am formatting it under mac OS and it really is FAT32. I checked that already.
and since the mapDownloader doesnt even start the download if its not FAT32.

Attachment included.(its in german though)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Hmm, that’s me done then. I’ve got nothing else 😳

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
My checklist would be

check format
check map download
re - format
re - download

change usb stick & repeat above

I think we have covered all of the above 🤔

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you dont know the file/folder structure of the finished USB right?
Mine is H:\HereV1\"BUNCH OF ZIP´s"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts