Evoque Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2019 D180 First Edition
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
Member since 2012 but first time poster - please treat me gently …..

I have had a 2nd gen Evoque from new, April 19.
Generally very satisfied with it (after 7 years with a 1st gen) but it is currently with JLR for them to diagnose / fix another front end clonking noise. History as follows:-
Jan 20: front halfshaft support bracket changed after grinding noise on left hand bends.
Aug 20: o/S/f halfshaft and halfshaft bracket changed after noise returned. Apparently there is a bearing on the longer of the two front driveshafts and it is known to spin on its housing
Nov 20: o/S/f drop link replaced after clonking noise heard - low speed over speed bumps etc. JLR said only one side needed changing
June 21 onwards: Clonking noise returned at the front - my own diagnosis from my experience of the first clonk was that the nearside drop link had now followed. Technician agreed on test run that there was a noise but they couldn’t find anything wrong. They then found bulletin 20401which describes how to hand drill into the front control arm rear hydra bushes and drain out the fluid (yes - I didn’t like it either). They did this and the clonk remained.
Today: They cannot find any loose joints / they have found split boots so they are changing them (yes - even they say they cant see how this will fix the issue) then we will see. Has anyone been down this road as JLR seems to be stumped….
Thanks in advance. A

·
Premium Member
68 plate HSE Petrol Dynamic p250 sold - P300 HST on order
236 Posts
so you have been a member since 2012 .. 1st problem now you post !! this is me being gentle :ROFLMAO: ??
but on a serious note cant help with your problem I am afraid but there must be many generation 2 Evoke owners on this site

·
Registered
368 Posts
Sorry to hear your having problems, we had both front hydra bushes replaced on our 2019 evoque but in our case it cured the nocking coming from the front but I’ve mentioned numerous times that we can hear nocking coming from the off side rear but they say they can’t find anything wrong.
I do think ours can be a bit crash and bang on certain road surfaces though.

·
Registered
2019 D180 First Edition
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to hear your having problems, we had both front hydra bushes replaced on our 2019 evoque but in our case it cured the nocking coming from the front but I’ve mentioned numerous times that we can hear nocking coming from the off side rear but they say they can’t find anything wrong.
I do think ours can be a bit crash and bang on certain road surfaces though.
Many thanks Mable.
V interesting to read that they replaced your hydra bushes and it worked. Seems to support my own view that drilling the original fit bushes to remove the fluid - presumably designed in by JLR experts for a reason - is fundamentally flawed. Cheers A

·
Registered
368 Posts
I’m pretty sure there was a recall for this too.

Reactions: Kaspa

·
Registered
2019 D180 First Edition
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mable. I’ll investigate. What did we do before the internet…….?
Cheers A

·
Registered
2019 D180 First Edition
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all. Thought you may be interested in an update on my 2019 Evoque front end clonking.
JLR has had the car for a week. Changed both track rod ends, both drop links and one lower control arm. I was asked to come in to do a test drive to confirm their belief that the clonking has gone. Went out with a technician (who had not been involved in the issue) who quickly agreed it was still there! Upon return to JLR the technician did a visual inspection and idenrified a leaking shock absorber. This is now being ordered to be fitted in due course. Interestingly with the replacement lower control arm they - apparently - come as a whole unit including hydrabush. If that’s correct then so now have one hydrabush with fluid in it and one with fluid removed. Have pointed this out and they are pondering. Must flag up that service rep and technician today couldn’t have been more helpful but it’s all wearing a bit thin.

·
Registered
MY20.5 R-Dynamic HSE
3,086 Posts
But you have to question 1/ why a 2019 car has a leaking shock already and 2/why after all the work they carried out no one spotted the leaking shock

Reactions: Alan112 and Mable

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hi all. Thought you may be interested in an update on my 2019 Evoque front end clonking.
JLR has had the car for a week. Changed both track rod ends, both drop links and one lower control arm. I was asked to come in to do a test drive to confirm their belief that the clonking has gone. Went out with a technician (who had not been involved in the issue) who quickly agreed it was still there! Upon return to JLR the technician did a visual inspection and idenrified a leaking shock absorber. This is now being ordered to be fitted in due course. Interestingly with the replacement lower control arm they - apparently - come as a whole unit including hydrabush. If that’s correct then so now have one hydrabush with fluid in it and one with fluid removed. Have pointed this out and they are pondering. Must flag up that service rep and technician today couldn’t have been more helpful but it’s all wearing a bit thin.
this is very interesting, keep us updated.
Can’t get my head around the hydrabush drilling, as mine had both replaced and as you say there part of the whole lower arm set up, after this it did improve the front suspension feel dramatically.
But I’m still not happy with the overall feel on certain road surfaces, sometimes it’s like riding on air but then it can feel like a Ford cortina, maybe with 20” wheels and our wonderful roads I’m been a bit picky.

·
Registered
2019 D180 First Edition
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi again all.
To update you on my front end clonking……. I dropped the car off again at JLR last Thursday morning for the new shock absorber. They advised that they were also going to change the top mount and that the car would be ready by the end of Friday. Advised on Friday that they were “having trouble with the driveshaft” so car would be ready Saturday. They couldn’t tell me what the driveshaft issue was, but I had told them of a new noise - speed linked, just like the noise on my mountain bike when my brake pads are rubbing on the discs. Advised Saturday that shocker and top mount installation had “improved but not removed completely” the clonking, so they proposed a new drop link (even though they had already told me that they had done this …) and while they were at it the were going to change the other lower control arm to reinstate my hydrabushes. Parts would be ordered for Monday, collect the car Tuesday. They have just called to advise that the car is not ready - the shocker and drop link have been fitted but the new driveshaft didn’t arrive with the other parts. I expressed surprise as this was the first I had heard of the driveshaft change requirement, other than Friday’s passing reference above. Strangely they asked if it was OK to keep the car another day, which wasn’t difficult to agree to as I didn’t fancy driving it with a missing driveshaft. To help they offered to extend my loaner car - unfortunately they had refused to give me a loaner when I asked as apparently they don’t issue them “due to the virus”. So I am another day without the car, but (hopefully) when I get it back it should be OK as it has near enough had a new front end…. Just reading What Car reliability survey. RRE scores very low - lots of things go wrong but they usually get fixed under warranty. Hope that is the end result for me too. Cheers.A

·
Registered
368 Posts
Wow, I feel for you, let’s just hope it’s sorted when you finally pick it up 🤞

·
Registered
2019 D180 First Edition
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Mable. Fingers crossed indeed. Will update with tomorrow’s progress….

·
Registered
2019 D180 First Edition
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi all. Daily update …..
Hadn’t heard anything from JLR today so I called them at 16:00. Spoke to the person I have been dealing with throughout (who was off yesterday). He knew nothing about a driveshaft issue so he investigated and called me back. They haven’t started the driveshaft installation as they have been busy (maybe they have more important customers - after all mine is only an Evoque….). They will be starting it first thing tomorrow. If I didn’t respect the requirements of the forum I think I might start to swear……. By the way after each stage of the works (or lack of) I get an email from the Service Manager in which he hopes I am happy with the service level I have received and advises that a questionnaire will follow, but the questionnaire hasn’t appeared the last 2 times. Seems to be par for the course …… I will be asking for a meeting with the Service Manager when I do eventually go back to collect.Cheers all. A

·
Registered
368 Posts
this is very poor, you would have thought you would have been a priority customer after all the wrong diagnosis they’ve done.
Just hope they nail it this time, hopefully by the weekend you’ll be driving a quiet car🤞

·
Registered
2019 D180 First Edition
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi all.
Today’s update …..
No car.
No call from Service staff during the morning as promised.
Chased pm. Described by JLR coordinator on the phone as “a shambles”.
I didn’t disagree.
Asked for a call from the Service Manager.
No call from Service Manager.
Chased at 17:00 and asked to speak to Service Manager - after a long delay I was put through to a Tech Controller - good lad.
Clonk has apparently been cured by new drop link.
Additional speed related rubbing noise was wrongly diagnosed as a driveshaft so that work has been stopped. He will investigate further. I still maintain it might be nothing more than a brake disc protector dislodged during the work which is rubbing on the disc but who am I …..
Unfortunately on the test run another heavy metallic noise was heard so this is now being investigated. My own view - described by the Tech Controller - is that the car has been on a 2 post lift with wheels hanging so upon landing again the springs have had to tease at themselves and have done so with a loud metallic twang. But I’m only the customer here not the expert ….
Someone is going to call me tomorrow.
I’ll not hold my breath.
Car has been with them from 20th Aug to 28th, and from 3rd September ongoing.
It’s not so much the extensive work that’s being done at someone else’s cost, it’s the apparent lack of diagnosis process and the utter lack of customer service / communication that’s sticking in my throat. Apologies for ranting but it’s now v frustrating / hopefully this helps other forum users. Cheers A

·
Registered
2019 D180 First Edition
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi all.
Today’s update…..
Car was handed back to me last night with an assurance that all 3 noises were cured.
JLR has had the car since 20th August apary from 3 days.
Clonk was the drop link.
Swishing / speed related was unknown but a new driveshaft was their solution.
Knocking (that only appeared whilst in the workshop) was cured by removing the driveshaft and shocker / top mount and refitting “in accordance with TOPICS” whatever that means.
Parts fitted.
2 x lower control arms including hydra bushes.
2 x track rod ends
1 x N/S/f drop link
N/S/f driveshaft
N/S/f shock absorber and top mount.
Left their premises last night, confident that car was 100% as it was still warm from their final test drive and 4 wheel alignment. first left hand bend - grinding noise from the front!!!!
So I have now been sitting in their showroom since 08:20 this morning whilst they investigate. One trip round their car park was sufficient for the Technician to agree that the noise was unacceptable. The Service Cordinator has described it as a shambles. Words fail me.

·
Registered
368 Posts
This is just unbelievable!!!
Especially from a high end main dealer.

·
Premium Member
68 plate HSE Petrol Dynamic p250 sold - P300 HST on order
236 Posts
I must admit even for me when you read these posts does put you off from buying another LR product
The trouble I have is due to a longer delivery wait you do ponder about buying something else from another manufacture ! just hope that Alan112 is a isolated case as assume there must be many more happy customers when you look at the amount manufactured
anyway hope you get it sorted soon

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yes a very worrying post, and again hope this gets sorted very soon.

·
Registered
2019 D180 First Edition
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi all.
To bring you up to speed…..
3 hours in the JLR dealer on Saturday morning and they conceded that they couldn’t fix the noise. They have kept the Evoque and I have a petrol Jag Epace from their demo fleet for an essential journey. On Saturday they weren’t sure what they were going to do: possibly liaise with JLR to get an engineer to take up the case. I will update the forum as and when JLR advise progress. In the meantime I will take the whole saga as an opportunity to compare and contrast the Jag against the Evoque, as I’m likely to have it for a while. Rgds A

1 - 20 of 22 Posts