Evoque Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Could it be as you entered the automatic car wash the speed wasn’t sufficient to trigger auto locking leaving the handles in the unlocked/out position, and brushes have then got behind the handles and popped the doors?
I wish you luck with your claim, but looks like JLR have covered themselves with a disclaimer about automatic car washes.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Maybe the car wasn’t locked and handles had not retracted?
Presumably the car wash was paid for - or a token needed - to start the car wash, so after paying, the car hadn’t reached enough speed on reaching the car wash for the handles to retract.

Sorry - I hadn’t seen Mable’s post!!

·
Registered
2016 TD4 180 HSE MY17
78 Posts
I'm thinking exactly the same as @squint
Cannot blame the car wash when handles are out and pressure causes door to open. What causes handles to open in the first place? Surely if the car was 'locked' there is no way the car wash would have triggered an unlock as this can only be achieved by explicitly doing it or it wasn't locked to start with?

Can this evoque be in an unlocked state with the handles flush and then when you push against it, it will then pop out? What happens if you sit in the car, swith off engine and then push against handle on outside? As you have not exited the vehicle, it would assume you cannot lock yourself in whilst still in the car with key inside as well? I.e. in an emergency get access to vehicle from outside with occupants inside when engine is off and key inside?
(this scenario could be different in different countries for security reasons. I.e. my ex-Nissan does not autolock doors above certain speed - this feature was only available in high risk countries back in the day)

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
That's real bad, it looks like the 'pop out' door handles have been out, or have moved out, during carwash operation, and got tangled up in the brushes and opened the door, resulting in damage to the door, if not closed in time.

I am not well up on the locking of doors on these newer Evoques. So the question is, how do 'pop out' handle owners ensure that the door handles cannot pop out during the car wash operation? Can you ensure locking? or is there a way a fault can occur to pop open the handles in the car wash?

PS.....The reason I never use a car wash is that tar spots come off previous cars and get stuck to the car wash brushes and can cause scoring to you cars paintwork (micro swirls, as mentioned in previous posts). But this problem of the door handles is on another level.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
The problem can be that if the key is within 3 feet, touching the button on the outside of the handle can unlock the doors.
I've had it happen on mine with a wash mit with the key in my pocket.
EDIT: This only works with the key outside the car not inside

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
To be clear I presume this relates to the v2 Evoques with the “pop out” handles .............my Evoque (2017 normal handles) has used an IMO car wash on a regular basis for nearly 4 years without any issues. It has keyless locking / unlocking but the various car wash rollers have never resulted in the doors even being unlocked let alone opened......

Again just for clarity as you stating that the car wash both unlocked the door and physically opened the door ?

Edit: our posts crossed, the above pics confirm my queries .......wow just wow.......I presume the car was also locked so the car wash not only opened the doors but unlocked then prior to that (keyless entry ?)

The damage is typical of a RTA impact on an open door......I presume its been fixed now but if the hinges where not affected the frame can usually be simply bent back and if you lucky no actual damage.........

Probably not relevant to your case but the only issue I have ever had personally in a car wash was with a Vogue......it was only a few weeks old and the IMO rollers jammed on the roof and resulted in a fail safe stoppage of the wash......when we got the car out there was some very slight scratched on the roof.......the operator accepted liability on the spot and we settled on £50 of car wash vouchers......in effect it was my fault as I had forgotten to put the suspension in low mode which I new it required.......he readily offered the credit so I was not going to argue.......

Presumably you are trying to find out if other v2 evoque owners have experienced this or if is an isolated fault on your car ?
Yes that is correct, hoping someone may have had similar experience.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
:oops: ....pretty open and shut case I would say (sorry could not help myself)

The question is.....is it a fault just with your car or potential to all V2’s ?
hahah comedy is always needed in these times.

Exactly that, it just worries me a lot of Evoque drivers have their kids in the rear seat and if I had children in mine at the day of the incident someone could had been badly hurt and they don't seem to be taking the issue seriously.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi

You could end up with massive lawyer bills on this one and end up losing.

From Land Rovers point of view the car wash opened the door by pulling the handle which it was designed to do.

As of the car wash that was designed to spin and bash into stuff. so you won't get any joy from them. In all the car washs I've used they have had a disclaimer telling me if it takes chunks of car off it's not their problem.

Personally if it was me, I would just claim on your insurance.

I know your angry but this will end up costing you more and I can't see you winning..

Let say you spend £25,000 on legal fee. How angry will you be then..

·
Registered
246 Posts
Have to say I agree, I think JLR have all bases covered on this, and as much as it’s devastating what happened, they have a disclaimer telling you not to use automatic car washer as @Pspec says all auto car washers have a “use at your own risk warning” too

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hi

You could end up with massive lawyer bills on this one and end up losing.

From Land Rovers point of view the car wash opened the door by pulling the handle which it was designed to do.

As of the car wash that was designed to spin and bash into stuff. so you won't get any joy from them. In all the car washs I've used they have had a disclaimer telling me if it takes chunks of car off it's not their problem.

Personally if it was me, I would just claim on your insurance.

I know your angry but this will end up costing you more and I can't see you winning..

Let say you spend £25,000 on legal fee. How angry will you be then..
Thank fully the law is a bit more complex than you have noted.

Regardless of the door handles in or out the door shouldn't open.
the car wash should have a fail safe, so the disclaimer is only valid if the fail safe works.
The car manual is is an advisory not mandatory.

Legal fees wont be to high, as my solicitor has taken on a 'no win no fee'.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm thinking exactly the same as @squint
Cannot blame the car wash when handles are out and pressure causes door to open. What causes handles to open in the first place? Surely if the car was 'locked' there is no way the car wash would have triggered an unlock as this can only be achieved by explicitly doing it or it wasn't locked to start with?

Can this evoque be in an unlocked state with the handles flush and then when you push against it, it will then pop out? What happens if you sit in the car, swith off engine and then push against handle on outside? As you have not exited the vehicle, it would assume you cannot lock yourself in whilst still in the car with key inside as well? I.e. in an emergency get access to vehicle from outside with occupants inside when engine is off and key inside?
(this scenario could be different in different countries for security reasons. I.e. my ex-Nissan does not autolock doors above certain speed - this feature was only available in high risk countries back in the day)
I agree, there are various scenarios we have run thorough. But in the simplest form - even if the door handles are out and they are if you drive the car a few metres, why is a car wash able to open a door? You can drive £100 car through a car wash and not worry, so why should you even think about it being an issue in a £50k car.

Land Rover first reply to me was, 'the car should be locked' but my solicitor confirmed this is not noted in any manual, so they had to retract their statement. The fault has as of today has now been escalated the lead engineer for Land rover and I have been advised to not drive the car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Have to say I agree, I think JLR have all bases covered on this, and as much as it’s devastating what happened, they have a disclaimer telling you not to use automatic car washer as @Pspec says all auto car washers have a “use at your own risk warning” too
Hi mate the disclaimer is only valid if the fail safe works, the disclaimer is valid for scratches to the paint work or broken window wipers etc. If a fail safe doesn't cut off in I believe o.8 second then this is deemed negligence.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The fault has as of today has now been escalated the lead engineer for Land rover and I have been advised to not drive the car.
1) Presumably the doors are only opening by themselves in the car wash?
2)Are you suggesting both JLR and the car-wash are liable?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
1) Presumably the doors are only opening by themselves in the car wash?
2)Are you suggesting both JLR and the car-wash are liable?
1) the washer when it spinning is opening the door, you only need the slightest bit of pressure onto the door handle and it seems to open, i'm hoping this is just my car and its not an issue for all of the v2.
2) yes both parties are liable, the easier of the two cases is JLR.

·
Registered
173 Posts
1) the washer when it spinning is opening the door, you only need the slightest bit of pressure onto the door handle and it seems to open, i'm hoping this is just my car and its not an issue for all of the v2.
2) yes both parties are liable, the easier of the two cases is JLR.
1) Could you try and compare how much pressure is required to open your handle to another Evoque?
2) If both parties are liable are you suggesting 50% each?

·
Registered
246 Posts
You say regardless of the door handles in or out they shouldn’t open in a car wash, but if there locked beforehand they won’t open !
But if left unlocked/open then it’s obvious to me the brushes can get behind the handles and pop the doors.
If you can say one hundred percent you locked them beforehand then you have a fault, easy to test, but if not then I would say you are going to struggle, also JLR state in Evoque handbook not to use automatic car washers.

Reactions: PhilB

·
Registered
173 Posts
[QUOTE="Mable, post: 309978, member: 1505
If you can say one hundred percent you locked them beforehand then you have a fault, easy to test
[/QUOTE]
I wonder if that is correct. The brushes must exert a fair amount of pressure to clean properly - this could still cause the retractable handle to come out if presses on the “button” on the handle. If it could be shown this “button” is too sensitive compared to others then there may be a case?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Its not the pressure on the button I’m thinking because if the car is locked from the inside the pressure button is disabled by the cars lock module, thus making it impossible to unlock the car, (unless the smart key is outside the vehicle and within range) it’s the fact the handles look like they have been left open/out/ unlocked so making it very easy for the wash brushes to pop the doors.

Reactions: PhilB

·
Registered
346 Posts
Its just scary that this may be a design fault on all of the cars ....I never liked those handles anyway :unsure:

21 - 40 of 49 Posts