Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I've became a happy owner of a 2017 evoque. Basically the car is almost like a brand new (35k kilometers/22k miles). The only thing that concenrnes me is driving comfort (or rather lack of it)... It's equipped with MagneRide suspension and to be honest I was expecting even greater comfort comparing to the other Evoques i drove. I find standard suspension quite well set-up. Suprisingly the ride in my car is very harsh and ability to absorb bumps is basically a disaster. It has nothing to do with a 'sportiness' in my opinion, as my other car is an old BMW M3 with KW Clubsport coilovers and honestly that M3 is waaay more comfortable and it soaks bumps like they're not there, while on the very same road, Evqoue feels like it's wheels are made out of concrete... 20'' rims, harsh ride in evry driving mode...
Is it normal, or my car might be in some sort of 'service' mode? If this thing is normal- do you guys have any tips how to improve the ride quality? Softer springs/ aftermarket shock absorbers/ coilovers?

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have a 2017 evoque with the active suspension and running on 20 inch rims ........no problems from me .......I'm more used to Vogues and in terms of ride quality there is not much difference that can't be accounted for by the difference in size / mass which is to be expected.......if you think the ride is harsh it sounds like you have a problem with the suspension ?

ps my other comparable at the moment is Porsche with PASM active suspension which is superb, the evoque is definately more of a refined ride even in active mode as you would expect.

Reactions: PhilB

·
Registered
MY16 HSE Dynamic LUX, Volvo 850R
2,342 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but surely dynamic (magna ride) stiffens the suspension not softens it so if your looking for a more comfortable ride then dynamic isn't the mode to be in, or have totally misunderstood your question?

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,371 Posts
The ride quality on both my 2014 and 2016 models was excellent even on 22" wheels with 35 profile tyres and in Dynamic mode. Like Doink says try not using Dynamic mode.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but surely dynamic (magna ride) stiffens the suspension not softens it so if your looking for a more comfortable ride then dynamic isn't the mode to be in, or have totally misunderstood your question?
The "magnaride" (adaptive dynamics) if fitted is on all the time whatever mode you are in.
Yes, if the car is put in dynamic mode it will stiffen a wee bit (no jokes please!)
The main thing is it will react to bumps etc in a fraction of a second to help smooth out the ride and also reduce roll in corners.
I have it on mine with 20" wheels and the ride is superb.
Perhaps the OP needs to have his system checked over?

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,793 Posts
@JM63 Just to add to the other replies...
Have you checked your tyre pressures just in case they are too high?

·
Registered
527 Posts
The "magnaride" (adaptive dynamics) if fitted is on all the time whatever mode you are in.
Yes, if the car is put in dynamic mode it will stiffen a wee bit (no jokes please!)
The main thing is it will react to bumps etc in a fraction of a second to help smooth out the ride and also reduce roll in corners.
I have it on mine with 20" wheels and the ride is superb.
Perhaps the OP needs to have his system checked over?
Exactly this which is why I compared it to the Porsche PASM system....its often misconstrued that its on/off when in effect its "on" 100% of the time....you can just turn a more "sporty" / firmer setting on/off.
In theory if your car has this option you should have a more complaint ride than a standard suspension car, not less. On my 2017 car it can be identified with an additional mode button for "active dynamics" and the rev counter etc lights turn red to signify a more "sporty" setup ie this is extra to the standard snow, sand, mud modes etc...... I presume its an extra virtual software button on the v2 models....nb this was an expensive option even on the Autobiography models ie none had it as standard ;-)

Reactions: PhilB

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
On mine and on both my XE's beforehand the "dynamic mode" (Looks like a dual carriageway on the button) was just another of the modes available in the driving programmes such as normal or comfort as some call it, ECO, ice and snow.
They all adjust the car's settings to give a better drive depending on conditions.
"Dynamic" increases throttle response, gearbox response and will weight up the steering.
If adaptive dynamics are fitted (electric shocks) or magnaride as it's known then it will also stiffen up the suspension.

Just to confuse the matter further you can spec "configurable dynamics" as a cost option which allows you to create your own personalised dynamic mode so you could have normal steering and gearbox but could then still have enhanced throttle response or any other combo.
Personally if I tap dynamic mode I want it all so didn't spec it on mine.

·
Registered
Dynamic 3 door, 2013, SD4, santorini black with pimento and ebony
471 Posts
I would check the load rating of your tyres. Standard Pirelli rating for the Evoque is 99v
Some tyres are 103 which is much harder and for larger 4x4 weight. My previous XC90 was very different between the standard 103 and xtra load 107, I went back to 103’s on that but it was an XC90 so a lot bigger

·
Registered
2012 SD4 Dynamic Lux
1,601 Posts
There have been a few threads with a dynamic suspension unit seizing up. Could be worth checking.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Just to be clear on a 2017 model which the OP (I can;t speak for later v2 cars) the "adaptive dynamics" was a £625 option on all models including the Autobiography. It can be spotted on a 2017 (and earlier) car by an additional 5th button on the terrain response section on the centre console....most cars have 4 buttons here and a blank in the middle ie do not have adaptive dynamics.....the 2017 brochure descibes terrain response as :

TERRAIN RESPONSE
Land Rover has always been synonymous with capability
and Range Rover Evoque lives up to even the most
demanding expectations. Confident and responsive,
the drive is further enhanced by a generous wheel
articulation and innovative off-road technologies such
as Terrain Response.
This feature is standard on all 4 Wheel Drive (4WD)
vehicles and adapts to the responses of the vehicle’s
engine, transmission, differentials and chassis systems
to maximise driveability, comfort and traction.
There are four standard Terrain Response settings:
General Driving, Grass/Gravel/Snow, Mud & Ruts and
Sand. So, the vehicle feels sure-footed no matter what
the terrain or weather conditions.
An optional fifth setting, Adaptive Dynamics is available
on Coupé and Five-door body styles. This mode tunes
the suspension to deliver even tighter body control with
flatter handling and sharper responses.

and then further descibes adpative dynmics in more detail as:

ADAPTIVE
DYNAMICS
Optional Adaptive Dynamics with advanced
MagneRide™ monitors vehicle movements
at least 1.000 times per second, reacting to
driver or road inputs instantaneously to give
greater control and minimise body lean,
providing a balanced, flat ride. Available on
Coupé and Five-door HSE, HSE Dynamic
and Autobiography models, the system will
even sense off-road conditions and optimise
the advanced MagneRide™ damper
settings accordingly, delivering the perfect
balance of agile handling and a supple,
controlled ride.

ie it is 100% a true adaptive suspension (ie not just software which the standard terrain response modes are) which is is fitted to the car and must have been specced as an option on the original order.......it ONLY adjusts suspension settings not throttle....to get the most "sporty" settings you also must put the gearbox in S (ie Sport) mode........
It is worth noting that it is not just a "sport" setting but is used to enhance off road capability as the suspension has much more adjustability.

So if the OP does have active dynamics on his car it was an optional extra and should give a more compliant ride than normal in all settings not just dynamic......thus I would suggest he either has a problem with the dampers (or broken spring I guess but you can usually spot that visually) or his expectations are unreasonable lol .....it ain't a Phantom but it doesn't cost the same either (I've had two of those)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for your replies. As I said, it's very uncomfortable in every driving mode. In dynamic it's just getting even worse. Made an appointment at the dealership to solve the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And I'm not expecting an Evoque to be more comfortable than a Rolls Royce, but honestly it really should be better than a GT3 RS... ;)

·
Registered
527 Posts
And I'm not expecting an Evoque to be more comfortable than a Rolls Royce, but honestly it really should be better than a GT3 RS... ;)
Almost all cars are, even and Evoque with a dodgy suspension lol......they really are horrible road cars ......all show.......should be track use only....mate of mine latest 3 months with his but is his own fault buying it for road use

·
Registered
Range Rover Evoque HSE Dynamic MY17 | Black | Black Pack | Smartphone Pack | SOTA | 4WD | Auto
629 Posts
At least it’ll corner better 🙄

1 - 15 of 15 Posts