Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The auto-opening tailgate on our 2013 Pure Tech doesn't open properly, even after resetting it as per the manual.
The video shows the fault. We now have to press the open button three times for the tailgate to open fully, with the it opening about an inch, with a jolt, on the first press; on the second press it opens to about halfway; and on the third press it opens fully. The tailgate closes without issue and I can open and close it manually without any jerking or sticking. I haven't been able to find anything with clear steps to take to diagnose and fix the problem. Has anyone else experienced this and does anyone have any advice as to what I can do to resolve this problem? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,031 Posts
Probably not the issue but have you checked the battery is in good condition ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks XZ4, the battery was changed relatively recently and we've had no other issues, but it wouldn't hurt for me to check it though. I'll get the multimeter out!

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,615 Posts
@johjames Did the problem start after changing the battery?

EDIT:
Welcome to the forum. It's good to update your forum profile with your RRE year and spec :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@johjames Did the problem start after changing the battery?

EDIT:
Welcome to the forum. It's good to update your forum profile with your RRE year and spec :)
I actually don't know the answer to that HmmmUK! The problem's been there for a while, but I've only got around to dealing with it. Thanks for the update tip too!

·
Super Moderator
2,622 Posts
Hi, Have a look at the Tailgate struts, check they are clean, but with a light grease on the strut that goes in as it closes, it could just be dirt restriction in the motorised strut, or 1 or the motors is getting weak so tripping the safety. Check the tailgate manually goes up smoothly too.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,615 Posts
Perhaps try recalibrating the tailgate to see if it improves things.
The owners manual describes how to do this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Perhaps try recalibrating the tailgate to see if it improves things.
The owners manual describes how to do this.
I've tried this without success unfortunately thanks HmmmUK

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi, Have a look at the Tailgate struts, check they are clean, but with a light grease on the strut that goes in as it closes, it could just be dirt restriction in the motorised strut, or 1 or the motors is getting weak so tripping the safety. Check the tailgate manually goes up smoothly too.
Thanks Phil, I'll have a look at the struts to see if they're clean tomorrow. The tailgate does go up smoothly manually.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,615 Posts
@johjames Is it the same with the engine running - just in case it's a 'volts' issue?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@johjames Is it the same with the engine running - just in case it's a 'volts' issue?
I've just tried to open the tailgate with the engine running and the problem remains, but it does open to the second stage shown in the video, that is to say that the tailgate opens further, but not fully.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Phil, I've just checked the two struts on the pistons and they're both clean. Is replacing the motor something your average Evoque owner could do themselves and if not I don't suppose you might know how much it might cost to replace them? Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Battery seems to be in decent enough condition. 11.77V at rest and 14.66V with the engine running.

·
Super Moderator
2,622 Posts
The motors are the struts so you just need to replace the struts, about £150 each for new, So have a look shouldn't be too difficult to disconnect the struts from the tailgate, taking precautions to keep the tailgate up! not sure where the connector goes or how accessible it is, hopefully doesn't need all the plastic surround off to get to. You should be able to gauge if you can do yourself quite quickly.

Of course there's no guarantee it's these, but seems the most likely.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The motors are the struts so you just need to replace the struts, about £150 each for new, So have a look shouldn't be too difficult to disconnect the struts from the tailgate, taking precautions to keep the tailgate up! not sure where the connector goes or how accessible it is, hopefully doesn't need all the plastic surround off to get to. You should be able to gauge if you can do yourself quite quickly.

Of course there's no guarantee it's these, but seems the most likely.
Thanks Phil. I'd been hoping for a cheaper solution! Our local Land Rover dealership unfortunately hasn't been up to much and so my trust in them from a diagnostic perspective is low. I wonder if anyone else has experienced a similar problem and has an idea as to what solved it? That's not to say it isn't the tailgate motor(s) though.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,031 Posts
Battery seems to be in decent enough condition. 11.77V at rest and 14.66V with the engine running.
11.77 at rest is very low

·
Registered
MY16 HSE Dynamic LUX, Volvo 850R
2,312 Posts
I thought that as well, over 12v I'd have thought would be right

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I haven’t tested the Evoque, but my RCZ with its 7 year old battery has 12.4 at rest 🤔

1 - 20 of 27 Posts