Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've owned my second hand evoque for just over 5 months now and not had one problem with it.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed a slight burning smell in the cabin when the engine had warmed up. I also had the coolant light
come on so I checked the coolant level and it was just under max, so I topped this up and the light went off.

I googled the smell and thought it might be the DPF due to only doing shorts runs and my MPG dropping slightly.

So I took it on the motorway and gave it a good run but when I came off the motorway and stopped, light smoke or
steam was coming out of the engine. I pulled over and lifted the bonnet up to find a burning like smell.

Any ideas of what this could be??

·
Registered
119 Posts
Coolant loss plus steam would suggest a leak - maybe a hose ? When the car cools - any puddles under the car to help identify a source ?

If accompanied by smoke it may be Head Gasket. Any misfiring ? Petrol or Diesel car ?

Regards,
Richard

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi mate, I have the 2.2 SD4 engine. I cant see any visible pools but I think its definitely a coolant leak somewhere. I'm not getting any misfiring or anything like that.
Its hard to distinguish between steam and smoke but I'm sure it was steam, I will check the hoses tonight to see if anything is visibly wrong. Thanks for your comments mush appreciated

·
Registered
59 Posts
Is the cooling system pressurising? Warm the engine to normal temp and loosen the header tank cap, if normal you will have pressure there but not too much, if you have an engine fault you may have lots of pressure followed by coolant trying to get out. Does the engine temp still stay in the middle of the gauge? Is the oil filler cap still clean? Hopefully just a leak which could be anything from a hose to a water pump or core plug. You may have to take the plastic cover off the top and bottom panel off to see anything.

·
Registered
24 Posts
There was a recall on the diesels around that time for a fuel leak linked to the fuel return system. Check that yours has been done. Quite a few caught fire

·
Registered
134 Posts
Are you sure you have not got a 'Fuel Burning Heater' fitted ?.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
took my car in today to get it up on the ram. they found a very small leak on the EGR cooler... seems to be a common place for a leak on the evoques.

·
Registered
7,520 Posts
Thanks for update. Good when you find the answers to original queries...
Add the leak to list of windows sunroofs etc... you pay for what you get isn’t really applied to Range Rover of late 😂😂😂

1 - 8 of 8 Posts