Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody suggest where I might get my hands on a 20" space saver spare wheel for my wifes evoque - I'm not going to suffer the helpless feeling again when she gets a puncture as I did'nt want to ruin the tyre with the goo in case the puncture could be fixed.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi Dogfather the space saver wheels for the Evoque are 18" no matter what size wheels are on your wife's, not sure you would get a bigger one in the boot space anyway.

·
Registered
249 Posts
been looking at this so as long as the pcd is 108any spacesaver should fit minute you mention range rover the price doubles for some reason hardly exotic

·
Super Moderator
10,721 Posts
As already said, space savers are 18". I tried to fit a 20" Evoque wheel in my boot but the tailgate wouldn't close.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What's the consensus on the differing circumference when using a space saver on a 4x4. Is this an issue for us as I know it can break BMW's?

·
Super Moderator
10,721 Posts
It comes with a much higher profile tyre Muffking so overall outside size is about the same

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don’t you also need the correct polystyrene insert for the wheel well. If it didn’t have the spare from new I think it has a different insert with storage cut outs

·
Registered
112 Posts
I personally haven't (yet) put the space-saver spare into the wheel well, I put it in a wheel cover and it is laid in the boot with the jack and wheel-brace laid in the cavity below.
I also bought a 'spare wheel bolt' for fastening it down in the wheel well when I get around to it.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Don’t you also need the correct polystyrene insert for the wheel well. If it didn’t have the spare from new I think it has a different insert with storage cut outs
FYI There are a few useful previous threads here on both spare wheels and changing the foam storage compartment :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Posted by Baby Mechanic, 6 months ago....

·
Registered
57 Posts
I personally haven't (yet) put the space-saver spare into the wheel well, I put it in a wheel cover and it is laid in the boot with the jack and wheel-brace laid in the cavity below.
I also bought a 'spare wheel bolt' for fastening it down in the wheel well when I get around to it.
Where did you get the bolt from, or do you know the size?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Can anybody suggest where I might get my hands on a 20" space saver spare wheel for my wifes evoque - I'm not going to suffer the helpless feeling again when she gets a puncture as I did'nt want to ruin the tyre with the goo in case the puncture could be fixed.
When I bought mine, I insisted that the Main dealer threw in a space saver, jack, boot insert, wheelbrace etc. They did and my space saver is a 19" one. I’ve had two punctures during my ownership and the goo wouldn’t have helped me one bit as they both had sidewall damage. There is no problem using the goo as it is water soluble and can easily be washed out prior to a puncture repair.

The 20” puctured wheel does fit in the boot recess and the boot floor panel can be placed on that as it’s about 4” proud of the recess. However, because I have a close fitting dog crate in mine, I have to place the crate on the rear seat as I can’t shut the tailgate with a 20” spare in the recess.

·
Registered
27 Posts
All standard wheels will fit in the recess, as the overall dimensions are the same, but as stated above they will be about 4" proud of the boot floor. That's why you need the space saver, which is the same diameter but thinner. If looking for one it might be also worth looking at Discovery Sport versions, as they will be the same. Not FL2 though, as the offset is different.
The recess size is annoying, as I have plenty of full-size spares, but had to buy a space-saver!
The bolt is important from a safety point of view. A spare wheel flying around in an accident situation will probably kill anyone it hits.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Gathered all the bits I needed now.
Bought the space saver from a guy with a Discovery for £85. The offset on this FYI is ET15.
Made sure that the kit all works if needed.

The scissor jack was bought on eBay auction 184148231240 for £11, although I did add a rubber insert to protect the jacking point on the car.
A 21mm wheel wrench was also bought on eBay auction 253813640851 for £6.

Then it was a case of removing the polystyrene boot insert. This is a case of removing the plastic trim panel by the lock and lifting the polystyrene from the left.

This then reveals the boot floor for the space saver, which is not very shallow.

The bracket to bolt the spare down with has 2 M6 threads. I think they were 0.75mm fine pitched threads, but I didn't have a suitable bolt, so I re threaded one of them to be 1mm M6 and used a 10cm bolt with a plastic handle that I had left over.
Also used the bag that my detachable towbar came in to store the tools inside with the spare.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Looks a good job.

Have you checked the clearances at the back of the wheel when it's fitted ?, eg the brake disc's / calipers.

My off-set is 45, are you sure yours is right at 15 ? .

You can still use the Electric compressor to blow your tyres up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Looks a good job.

Have you checked the clearances at the back of the wheel when it's fitted ?, eg the brake disc's / calipers.

My off-set is 45, are you sure yours is right at 15 ? .

You can still use the Electric compressor to blow your tyres up.
I test fitted the spare to the front as it has the largest disc and calliper. The wheel turns ok as far as the 4 wheel drive will allow while the other 3 wheels are on the ground.

Good point about the inflation kit. There's nothing to stop me keeping those in the boot too (y)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts