FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Range Rover Evoque Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join. New members please look at the General Message area first.
You MUST post an introduction here and it must be approved to access the rest of the site.
Have a question about ordering? We have a dedicated Order Forum.

What mileage for Clutch Change on a manual?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jcacmain View Drop Down
Evoque User
Evoque User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcacmain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What mileage for Clutch Change on a manual?
    Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 12:49pm
I've got a 2012 TD4 Manual, and the clutch went yesterday .. it's done about 68k miles, but I had no warning that the clutch was on the way out (with my horse lorry / very old Fiesta, it was pretty obvious that the clutch was needing to be replaced).  I have extended warranty which runs out in about two weeks and originally though, hurrah!  This will be covered, however I'm now being told that it is probably wear and tear and therefore I have to pay for 5 hours for investigation before they know and my free hire car will probably also need to go back, I haven't asked how much for the clutch replacement, but have a sinking feeling it will not be cheap (the 5 hours checking is already more expensive than my Iveco Daily clutch!).

I've had two big Rangie's in the past (but both automatic), never had to replace a clutch on them (95k and 80k mileage on those, and have had some high mileage Audi's with again no need to replace a clutch on the manuals).  Obviously I'm hoping that they do find a fault, but figure they will probably go with wear and tear, so wanted to get an idea of when people would expect to change a clutch?
Sponsored Links

PhilSkill View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilSkill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 2:42pm
Had another guy recently clutch went at 50000, and they were not covering on warranty either.

They do tend to go suddenly now, with no warning, which really is not very useful, especially when we've come to expect 100000+ from a clutch without a further thought.

Mines at 50000...
MY12 Fuji Manual SD4 Dynamic, with Remote Tailgate Closer Module
PhilSkill View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilSkill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 2:52pm
Just done a search on Clutch and found people complaining at 20000, 35000, 40000, 4600!!! so might be a bit of a weakness showing there!
MY12 Fuji Manual SD4 Dynamic, with Remote Tailgate Closer Module
colin4x4 View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colin4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 7:50pm
This hourly investigation at around £90/hour by dealerships is a money spinner, but 5 hours is crazy.

We own a Ford and their policy is one hour investigation max, where they keep £90, they give you the diagnosis, irrespective if they get doing the job or not they keep the £90.

Clutches can go fast depending on a bad drivers action, like driving the car like a banshee , so thats why it tends to be a wear item and not covered by warranty. Usually you are talking with decent use of the clutch by a good driver, around 50k miles or above before it goes.

I am on 65k with mine, and hope it lasts, till I sell it.

As for clutch gone, well it does not take 5 hours to know that. I would have put that money to getting the clutch plate changed right away, even if they found out later on that the clutch bearing and flywheel had to be changed as well.

Dealerships are all about making money, once out of warranty, or changing a 'wear' item, I always stay clear of them, once out of warranty. 
SD4 Dynamic, Firenze Red, Panoramic Roof, spare tyre, Detachable tow ball.
jcacmain View Drop Down
Evoque User
Evoque User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcacmain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 3:11pm
My dealership is charging £150 an hour!!!  Looks like I've got a oil leak which should be covered under warranty which they told me about at it's service (2 weeks ago), to fix it, they have to take out the gearbox, so warranty should cover me for the labour, but think I will still fight the clutch - my dad's Audi A4 did 200k and never needed a clutch!  Apparently it has burnt out .. but for a car that has eco mode and cuts out the engine at the lights etc.. and I have never ridden the clutch  .. 

They told me to come back about the oil leak after 2k more miles on the car .. Hmmmm .. my warranty runs out on the 22nd of this month, so that would have made that out of warranty if I'd gone with their suggestion!  

I did a few searches as well and couldn't find anything specifically relating to issues with the clutches, but it's still a relatively new car, and I reckon only a third are non automatics ( did a quick, how many are for sale on auto trader versus how many manuals ;-)) 

Thanks for all your help guys .. It's all ammunition in my fight against the warranty team ..
rsquared View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsquared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 3:27pm
If they have to remove the gearbox to fix the oil leak, it sounds like a rear main seal leaking. I would make them prove that the clutch failure wasn't a direct result of the oil leaking onto the flywheel/clutch disc. IMHO, if the clutch failed due to the oil leak, the clutch should be replace under warranty.
MY13 Evoque Pure Plus Coupe | Santorini Black |Pano Roof | Privacy Glass | 19" Style 4 Alloys | Power Tailgate
jcacmain View Drop Down
Evoque User
Evoque User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcacmain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by rsquared rsquared wrote:

If they have to remove the gearbox to fix the oil leak, it sounds like a rear main seal leaking. I would make them prove that the clutch failure wasn't a direct result of the oil leaking onto the flywheel/clutch disc. IMHO, if the clutch failed due to the oil leak, the clutch should be replace under warranty.

Ooh!  Thanks @rsquared!  That is a avenue I hadn't thought of pursuing!!  I've also emailed a few dealers who are selling high mileage Evoque Manuals - >100k to see if any of them have had clutch replacements or are on their original clutches .. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic