FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Range Rover Evoque Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join. New members please look at the General Message area first.
You MUST post an introduction here and it must be approved to access the rest of the site.
Have a question about ordering? We have a dedicated Order Forum.

Steering Wheel Leather Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CoolBlueWhyte View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoolBlueWhyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering Wheel Leather Issue
    Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 10:09pm

Hi Guys

I'm wondering if this is just me or has anyone else had the same problem?

So I've got a 2013 with 50,000 miles and as you can see from the picture the back of the steering wheel Leather has lost it's surface in places, making it rough and unfinished.
It is only the top section that gets the least amount of use.

I have heard that the farier sex that use certain hand creams can affect the leather surface, but I'm not one of those people!

My local dealer spoke to JLR and they said it's just fair wear and tear. I don't think that is acceptable, I've never had a car before where my steering wheel wore out before my first set of tyres!

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Kind Regards
David

Pure Tech Manual TD4 2013, Santorini Black, Style Pack, 19" Style 4, Signature Lights, Panoramic & Roof Rails, Aeroflip, Illuminated Sills, Sports Pedals, 5yr Service, Mats & Flaps
Sponsored Links

Tecky View Drop Down
Evoque Groupie
Evoque Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 6:58am
Hi David,

I worked for years in the automotive leather business and there is no way that this is normal wear and tear. It's correct that hand creams and especially sun creams can have a detrimental affect in the leather but in your case you're saying it's not relevant.

Since you say it's only the top section affected it's possible if not indeed probably that it's due to sun and/or heat on the leather. If the leather finishing (a chemical mix applied to the leather surface to cover irregularities on the surface) is not sufficient or incorrect then it has no chance against the suns rays. Temperatures directly under the windscreen area of naturally very high demanding a correspondingly good leather for the steering wheel.

I would definitely go back to the dealer and insist that he makes a claim on your behalf.
Spiderman View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict
RRS owner Honorary member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 8:57am
Wow!
That doesn't look right?
Have you had the car from new CBW?
The only reason I ask, is that a colleague of mine at work insists on not wearing gloves when washing metal product in a very highly diluted acid/water mix.
That's a separate matter.....but in relation to this.....he showed me his steering wheel on a ford had also gone the same.....I've put this down to the fact he transfers this diluted acid as I guess he just goes straight home without washing it off.......
I'm guessing not related but just offering experiences to find maybe a link?
But if you confirm you know there's nothing like that happened then I'd be on LRCS for a report on how this has happened and want a replacement.....will definately be a concern when you come to sell......so I'd try and get sorted now with LR......I would accept that as "normal"
MY16 Evoque Dynamic HSE Fuji White, Black Contrast Pano Roof, Privacy Glass, 20" 508 Alloys, Power Tailgate - 2 LR Umbrellas
Evo-king View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Evoqueaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Evo-king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 10:27am
I guess your car is out of warranty.

However, I do tend to agree that this is not fair wear and tear for a 50K miles car.

Our 4yr old works Peugeot Vans got to 125K miles before being replaced, they had plastic/rubber steering wheels and were only just staring to degrade.

3 Dynamics all Santorini Black,Pan Roof, Pimento Sports Seats.
Owned & Loved, Sexy Beast, Captain Sensible & Mr Lucky.
1 Umbrella.
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoolBlueWhyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 10:36am
Thanks for your very helpful comments Tecky and SM. I hadn't remembered reading of others with this issue hence asking the question

Yes I've had my evoque from new and no I don't bathe in acid.😊

I may drop a line to our JLR reps on here for an opinion.

Kind Regards
David

Pure Tech Manual TD4 2013, Santorini Black, Style Pack, 19" Style 4, Signature Lights, Panoramic & Roof Rails, Aeroflip, Illuminated Sills, Sports Pedals, 5yr Service, Mats & Flaps
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoolBlueWhyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 10:51am
Originally posted by Evo-king Evo-king wrote:

I guess your car is out of warranty.

However, I do tend to agree that this is not fair wear and tear for a 50K miles car.

Our 4yr old works Peugeot Vans got to 125K miles before being replaced, they had plastic/rubber steering wheels and were only just staring to degrade.

Thanks EK
My wife's 12 year old Audi still has a perfect leather steering wheel.

Yes out of warranty, Surely JLR still have an obligation under consumer rights act, as this is clearly not fit for purpose.

New steering wheel is about £500 and the second hand ones on fleabay, etc. Look a bit knackered and have probably been in an accident! At least I know this is just a surface issue, even if it does look awful.
Kind Regards
David

Ewok View Drop Down
Evoque Star
Evoque Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ewok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 2:59pm
There's always this guy. Between £125 and £150 to recover depending on spec.

http://royalsteeringwheels.com/

Several people on the Alfa Brera forum have used and recommended him.
MY16 Dynamic Auto, Corris Grey, Black Pack with assorted trimmings.
BMW Z4
Alfa Brera (still turns heads more than any car I've owned)
XZ4 View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XZ4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 5:35pm
Royals have a great reputation.   Seen pics of some of their work on the Z4 forum and everyone who has used them is really pleased.   Some great alternative finishes too.

MY16 HSE Dynamic Lux, Auto, Indus Silver with Black leather, Black Design Pack, Black roof, Head up display, InControl pro pack, Privacy Glass, 22" Overfinch Alloys.
Evo-king View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Evoqueaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evo-king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 11:02pm
Great post Ewok, I seem to recall seeing some links to them on one of the BMW forums as well.

I would like to think CBW gets a decent resolution from LR, but at least he knows there is an alternative should he have to stump up himself.

3 Dynamics all Santorini Black,Pan Roof, Pimento Sports Seats.
Owned & Loved, Sexy Beast, Captain Sensible & Mr Lucky.
1 Umbrella.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic