FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Range Rover Evoque Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join. New members please look at the General Message area first.
You MUST post an introduction here and it must be approved to access the rest of the site.
Have a question about ordering? We have a dedicated Order Forum.

Sat nav alerts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
steviegtr52 View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steviegtr52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sat nav alerts
    Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 8:43pm
Ok so I,m sure many on here will know the answer to this so here goes. 2016 66reg HSE Dyn lux with 10" incontrol pro unit. Today we headed for Hawes from Leeds. Set sat nav & checked the route it was going to take & thought great that's correct. Set off. got onto M1 A1 link road at Garforth & sat nav went to half size to the right. To the left half came up a warning it said something like accident ahead blah blah & then went back to full screen. Sure enough the Motorway signs advised of road blocked from J47 to 49 on A1. Brilliant. My question is. I have a 3G data card in car. It ran out nearly 2 months ago no data left & it was only for 3 months & had it in for 5. The 3G symbol still comes up on top left corner of unit but cannot use it as I have tried. Thought live updates only worked with a active SIM installed. Anyone have a answer. ????? 
2016-66 HSE Dyn Lux. Carpathian. H.U.D.Pan, Tints. in control 10" screen.Gloss black wheels,Black anodized nut & lockers. Ivory leather,Umb.
2017 Multistrada 1200s with toys.
2009 MX5 sport tech
Sponsored Links

Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steviegtr52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 10:59pm
Just keeping this going. Hoping someone can help.
2016-66 HSE Dyn Lux. Carpathian. H.U.D.Pan, Tints. in control 10" screen.Gloss black wheels,Black anodized nut & lockers. Ivory leather,Umb.
2009 MX5 sport tech
Trapdoor View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapdoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 12:44am
Dunno, but my EE SIM I bought when I first had mine ran out on 19th and mine came up with a message saying 'traffic not available' or something similar. My 3G icon would then cycle between the 3 dots, the 3G icon and the backward C with a line through it ... going into settings it would say 'reading SIM'.

Stuck a new pre-loaded SIM in, activated it using the web browser and back in business now.

What provider are you with?
Had: 2013 Prestige Auto Lux
Have: MY17 Autobiography in Waitomo Grey with Ivory/Espresso interior, HUD, Adaptive Cruise, Adaptive Dynamics, Dynamic Driveline, Wading, Massage Seats. Delivered 17/09/16
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steviegtr52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 11:29pm
Hi trapdoor. Will have to pull sim & have a look. It was 1 I bought from Argos just after buying car. Need to purchase another, some say you can get 1 that lasts 12 months. 
2009 MX5 sport tech
Steve D View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 7:20am
This is what you need. I use one of these in my 3G iPad when I go abroad. Lasts 12 months unless you use all the data. Cheaper to throw it away and buy a new one when it expires instead of topping up. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THREE-PAYG-SIM-CARD-WITH-12GB-FREE-DATA-PRE-LOADED-For-MIFI-Dongle-Tablet-3G-4G-/322745082520?epid=1839166989&hash=item4b251b2298:g:19IAAOSwPhdVEHqa
Manly Santorini black SD4A Dynamic Lux with beastly ebony leather, brutish shadow chromes and privacy glass. Grrrrr. A real mans Evoque 😉
Trapdoor View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapdoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 8:20am
I bought two EE 6 month 12 gig SIM's this year as it was cheaper (on eBay) than a 12 month one, and the deal I got on Amazon last year for my 12 month 24 gig EE SIM has long gone.

Don't just go with the cheapest though, you need to have a look and see which network covers you best for where you drive most. Don't just say "oh, well I get good Vodafone at home so I'll go with that" as both Vodafone and O2 have pretty poor coverage but are good in places. I get a banging O2 4G signal at home but it's pretty useless while travelling.

THREE and EE are better, and EE probably best purely because of the fact EE is a combination of the old Orange and T-Mobile networks so generally has more infrastructure in place to give better coverage. We almost now exclusively use EE for remote site data with the occasional use of THREE.
Had: 2013 Prestige Auto Lux
Have: MY17 Autobiography in Waitomo Grey with Ivory/Espresso interior, HUD, Adaptive Cruise, Adaptive Dynamics, Dynamic Driveline, Wading, Massage Seats. Delivered 17/09/16
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steviegtr52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 5:12pm
Ok so I bought a 12month 6gb sim off fleebay at £14.99. Checked who the seller was etc. Plenty of feedback. I very rarely go on net in car so 1/2 gig a month should be plenty.
Still not had anyone who knows how my alerts still work. A family member thinks maybe because the card is in & still says 3g on readout that maybe it can still receive data, just not send any. Sounds reasonable I suppose.  
2009 MX5 sport tech
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic