FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Range Rover Evoque Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join. New members please look at the General Message area first.
You MUST post an introduction here and it must be approved to access the rest of the site.
Have a question about ordering? We have a dedicated Order Forum.

Removing swirls from black trims

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chris2four View Drop Down
Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris2four Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing swirls from black trims
    Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 3:04pm
Hi everyone,

Despite being very very careful during my washing routines (2 bucket technique etc and all other tips from the forum), I still noticed swirls on the black plastic/glass material after my left rear door (see pic of the area, although the pic dos not show the swirls)

What's the process for removing those as I am quiet scared to attempt as I am not even sure what the material is? It feels like glass, but seems to have a plastic feel, so I am worried about adding more swirls while attempting to remove swirls. I always almost never apply any pressure to that area as the material feel brittle.

I have at home Autoglym Resin polish, AutoGlym hard wax and Autoglym Aqua Wax. Can I use any of those to remove them, or doI have to get something else.

2015MY SD4 Pure Tech, Zanzibar, Pano, Xenon Headlamps, Keyless, Powered Tailgate, Pure Style Pack(19" Alloys, Dual Power/htd/Power Fold/Memory, Front Fog Lamps, 8/6 Seats), Spare Wheel, Heated Screen
Sponsored Links

Evo-king View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Evoqueaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evo-king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 7:54pm
These items of trim are as soft as butter.

Which is daft considering the nature of the car.

I have spoken to LR some time back as well as my detailer about getting the 3M Ventureshield produced to fit these panels, long story short, got nowhere.

I have used the Autoglym Super Resin Polish for the bits of trim with reasonable success, but go gently.

Once you've got a good finish on them, only use a good quality wash mitt using straight lines then dab dry with a good quality microfibe towel ( I have a blow dryer so rarely use towels).

You can also use use detailing spray in a dilution (I use Gtechniq products C2V3) as a drying agent, much more gentle doing it this way, but I'm fussy. Spray the panel and apply the liquid all over again in straight lines then wipe with a microfibre cloth and finally buff with another clean microfibre cloth. This method causes the least damage.  I do the same with the body panels.

3 Dynamics all Santorini Black,Pan Roof, Pimento Sports Seats.
Owned & Loved, Sexy Beast, Captain Sensible & Mr Lucky.
1 Umbrella.
Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chris2four Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 5:39am
Thanks Evo-king,

I'll try what you suggested over the weekend and poat back the results
2015MY SD4 Pure Tech, Zanzibar, Pano, Xenon Headlamps, Keyless, Powered Tailgate, Pure Style Pack(19" Alloys, Dual Power/htd/Power Fold/Memory, Front Fog Lamps, 8/6 Seats), Spare Wheel, Heated Screen
Dragonfly47 View Drop Down
Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dragonfly47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 7:46pm
My experience with AutoGlym Super Resin is that it will fill the scratches, but you'll need to reapply pretty much every time you wash the vehicle.

I think I posted elsewhere the solution I found on YouTube which has worked a permanent fix for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMPTSBr45OQ

TLDR: Claybar, then use a two step polish combination with a dual action machine polisher. This actually removes the scratches and swirls rather than just filling them.
DeDecaled Evoque Union SW1 Dynamic Special Edition(1 of 125)Firenze Red - White Pano Roof - 360 surround camera, 825w Meridian. P/A (everything except HUD)
CoolBlueWhyte View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoolBlueWhyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 11:37pm

Epic polishing vid DF47, that's really how to do it properly!

He really applied some pressure and heavily polished those trims, I have polished mine with Gtechniq Nano Polish carefully by hand for successful results.

Thanks for posting.

Edited by CoolBlueWhyte - 19 Aug 2016 at 11:37pm
Kind Regards
David

Pure Tech Manual TD4 2013, Santorini Black, Style Pack, 19" Style 4, Signature Lights, Panoramic & Roof Rails, Aeroflip, Illuminated Sills, Sports Pedals, 5yr Service, Mats & Flaps
Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris2four Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 7:05pm
Thanks for posting that vid. I post back the results when I have a go.
Thewhiteball View Drop Down
Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thewhiteball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 3:16pm
It does of course depend on how deep the marks are. Swirl marks are usually caused by rotary polishing action and will be as deep as the pressure applied whilst polishing.

For very light swirl marks in your black plastic trims, the ones you can see mostly if the sun is directly on the offending panel, Ive found that the mentioned auto glym super resin polish can be effective. Not much pressure whilst applying and do take some time to do the job. Buff with clean dry microfibre or similar cloth in straight lines.
Corris Grey MY 2016 Manual SE Tech Extra rear tints Panoramic Roof Rubber Mats Club Sticker.

"Where ever it is you are trying to get to in life, when you finally arrive, there you are"
Madam Fuji View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madam Fuji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 3:27pm
I've got them too, and I'm pretty careful when cleaning! Why should there be a need for this thread on a £50k plus vehicle?
Evo-king View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Evoqueaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evo-king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 7:07pm
I agree entirely MF.
1 Umbrella.
Sorcerer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sorcerer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Madam Fuji Madam Fuji wrote:

I've got them too, and I'm pretty careful when cleaning! Why should there be a need for this thread on a £50k plus vehicle?
Agreed...and this has been the case since day one of the Evoque as well. Shocked
Now.RR Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux 9 speed auto Firenze Pano roof.
Previously.RR Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux manual Firenze. Pano roof.
First-RR Evoque Dynamic SD4 lux auto Santorini black. Pano roof.
xoz View Drop Down
Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 1:34am
Heads up. A detailer somehow sprayed wax onto the black triangle and side mirrrors surrounding. Well first wash after he did the job I noticed like etching on the black triangular trim and surrounds, freaked me out as it looked obvious and disgusting. To the point where I spent a few hours searching on EBay for replacement parts left and right sides.
So I contacted another detailer to see if he had a solution. His reply came back, turned out to be miraculous.
The solution was to use an eraser (rubber). Went over it a couple of times wiping off with a microfibre cloth. Brilliant! Give it a try if you have obvious water marks. The eraser is not unlike clay bar so for more problematic black trim areas I say clay bar is a good possible solution.
MY12 SD4 Pure Tech, Manual Coupe. Fuji White. Recovering Mod-aholic. Keeping it clean and OEM. 😜
Evo-king View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Evoqueaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evo-king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 8:25am
xoz.

That's a new one to me.

Will be interested to see how others get on with this suggestion.
1 Umbrella.
Evo-king View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Evoqueaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evo-king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 8:15pm
Well fair play to your detailer.

I had a scratch on the Gloss Black Trim around my radio, used the pencil rubber and hey presto, it worked and scratch has gone.

Thanks.  Handshake

1 Umbrella.
Sorcerer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sorcerer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 10:17pm
Never heard of that one, but thanks for passing on the tip Xoz. Clap

Now.RR Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux 9 speed auto Firenze Pano roof.
Previously.RR Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux manual Firenze. Pano roof.
First-RR Evoque Dynamic SD4 lux auto Santorini black. Pano roof.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic