FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Range Rover Evoque Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join. New members please look at the General Message area first.
You MUST post an introduction here and it must be approved to access the rest of the site.
Have a question about ordering? We have a dedicated Order Forum.

MY16 - How do I get Text Messaging working

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
musher View Drop Down
Evoque Star
Evoque Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 10:54pm
Griffter that's not entirly true. What Ryan said was that HDD system can not carry out the function of text messaging due to the technical differences between the SD and HDD based navigation systems. He never said that the software is not as up to date as the SD based system. The HDD system supports such things as the HUD, tv, meridian surround sound etc whereas the SD based system doesn't have to support these functions hence why your able to have the different functions that you have. The systems are 2 entirly different systems which is annoying but by the looks of things there difference that we have got to live with.

Delivered MY16 HSE Dynamic Lux Yulong with Black contrast roof AD Privacy glass, heated steering wheel and heated rear seats, style 508's 20" wheels and everything else you get with the Lux pack
Sponsored Links

Griffter18 View Drop Down
Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffter18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 11:20pm
Musher my reason for saying that the HDD based system is not as upto date is based on others comments on this forum.
Yes the upgrade comes with a lot of other add on features as part of the overall package which is probably what most buyers wanted.

Reading between the lines the technical reasons are that they are two totally different systems as you say. 
The SD system is a new design by JLR.
The HDD system appears to be a 3yr old design which is integrated to support the Meridian Sound system and other features. This is the bit that others have stated hasn't changed in 3yrs so therefore it was only up to date at point of original release (unless you guys have found additional features compared to the original release)

Ryan response is also clear that there is no intention to provide future updates to existing vehicles. Therefore if this unit is still standard issue on Dynamics (or an upgrade option) next year it would be 4yrs old unless they redesign it and add extra features.
My guess is they will probably develop their own system in time but you never know.
MY16 SE Tech eD4 5dr 2WD. Santorini black with
Ebony Interior. 508 alloys

cram View Drop Down
Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 6:24pm
If/when JustDrive is released (early next year apparently) then those with the HDD navigation + InControl Apps will get text message reading (and sending) as part of that. Agree it should be part of the upgraded HDD system already though, as surely it's a downgrade otherwise?! Confused

Edited by cram - 16 Oct 2015 at 6:25pm
BodyCombat View Drop Down
Evoque Groupie
Evoque Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BodyCombat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 10:16pm
Thanks Grifter18 and all, I'm a member of the non brolly club but great I got the text to car working today on my SE Tech with standard audio and reading to me (iPhone 5S IOS 8.1).

Couldn't get the template reply to work though (yes was stationary), mind you have set my iPhone to 3 different text replies to calls, will try tomorrow if that is it
MY16 eD4 SE Tech 5dr Manual, Pano, Camera, Privacy Glass, Cirrus/Lunar, Corris Grey, 706, Hatch Bag, 5Yr Service Plan, Calendar:-)
Spiderman View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict
RRS owner Honorary member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 10:43pm
BodyCombat - no umbrella?

Phhhaaaaaa!!!!!
MY16 Evoque Dynamic HSE Fuji White, Black Contrast Pano Roof, Privacy Glass, 20" 508 Alloys, Power Tailgate - 2 LR Umbrellas
Gavlenko View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gavlenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 2:47pm
Spidey - did yours arrive????
PS - hours of endless fun having my text messages read out by mrs computer voice....
BMW X1 MSport (for longer than tattoobob)- previous owner of a 2016MY SE Tech in Corris Grey, 18 inch 706 wheels, lunar/ivory interior - spare wheel (deleted - disco light function - a la the Beast)
Spiderman View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict
RRS owner Honorary member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 11:01pm
Gavlenko where you been......

I got 2 !!!!!!!

http://www.evoqueownersclub.co.uk/forum/the-umbrella-thread_topic8877_page3.html?KW=Umbrella
MY16 Evoque Dynamic HSE Fuji White, Black Contrast Pano Roof, Privacy Glass, 20" 508 Alloys, Power Tailgate - 2 LR Umbrellas
FUBARatBirth View Drop Down
Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FUBARatBirth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 9:27pm
Ok update for people

I have the SE Tech, which I was having problems with getting it to read out my text messages from my iPhone 6. It went back to dealer recently same time for new camera which they fixed but said they couldn't get text messages to work and it had to come back in as they were waiting on response.

Well I read this thread eventually with thanks from Angel posting link and I followed the instructions from Griffter re notifications settings etc and bottom line is it worked !

So yes iPhone 6 does work in an SE tech and is capable of reading out messages for people's info. Mine comes up on screen with name of person sending and message, which I can then ask it to read out.

However, it doesn't let me reply or use a template, these bits remain greyed out even when car is stationary so maybe that part the iPhone is not compatible with but at least it can accept and read out the messages to you when driving.

Fubs
Angel View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 9:44pm
Glad I could help. :) 

Can't help you any more as I don't have that function Cry 

If you keep your phone in the middle bit which I do sometimes I use siri it comes through the speakers as well and i use that function for texting , getting phone numbers etc :) 
MY16 HSE Dynamic auto,Firenze red, black pano roof, Privacy Glass, cirrus interior, Dynamic Mode, 20 inch wheels, gesture tailgate, InControl Premium, 360 surround camera , keyless entry + few extras
gofer View Drop Down
Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 9:53pm
Mine doesn't let me reply either even if the car is parked despite what the owner manual says.

http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/document/LH/2016/Telephone/18129_en_GBR/proc/G1853137

Nov 15 Ed4 Manual SE Tech
Griffter18 View Drop Down
Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffter18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 10:35pm
Same here, but nit had time to figure it out yet
MY16 SE Tech eD4 5dr 2WD. Santorini black with
Ebony Interior. 508 alloys

Trapdoor View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapdoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 11:08pm
I just use the 'hey Siri' function to read and reply to texts ... Only annoyance is when I have my iWatch on, that responds to the hey Siri and it doesn't come through the speakers. Not found a way round that one yet other than switching Siri off I the watch.

Have to say though, I'm pretty narked that JLR have put all the effort on the new info system in that damned soft top
Had: 2013 Prestige Auto Lux
Have: MY17 Autobiography in Waitomo Grey with Ivory/Espresso interior, HUD, Adaptive Cruise, Adaptive Dynamics, Dynamic Driveline, Wading, Massage Seats. Delivered 17/09/16
YouDeserveATreat View Drop Down
Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YouDeserveATreat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 11:24pm
I use a Samsung Galaxy Note 4. Not sure if it's down to the phone or Android OS but I get text read out all the time, replies and template replies are always available. Our iPhone 5s doesn't even display texts never mind read them out.
It's a nice feature, so much so I no longer use the built in 'car mode' setting that Android has. This is a nifty system, a bit like Google Drive and Apple Car Play.
MY16 // SE Tech // Panoramic Roof // Privacy Glass // Powered Tailgate // Park Assist with Parallel and Perpendicular Park // WeatherTech Front and Rear Mats
Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FUBARatBirth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 6:12pm
The iPhone 5S will work you just have to endure the settings are correct on the phone or The car won't recognise it.

Unless you have an Evoque other than an SE tech that is, in which cars your still using old infotainment system so won't work either way.
BodyCombat View Drop Down
Evoque Groupie
Evoque Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BodyCombat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 6:17pm
Any help gratefully received: on my 5S handset I've got notifications allowed on Bluetooth & Messages & Remote App and have auto replies enabled.
Showing and reading texts work lovely but template replies greyed out, any suggestions?
MY16 eD4 SE Tech 5dr Manual, Pano, Camera, Privacy Glass, Cirrus/Lunar, Corris Grey, 706, Hatch Bag, 5Yr Service Plan, Calendar:-)
Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FUBARatBirth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 7:44pm
That's as good as you will get I think for now with Apple phones I think
Doby View Drop Down
Evoque Groupie
Evoque Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 6:10pm
March MY16 SE Tec, Apple iPhone 6 Plus

Enable "show Notifications"

Perfect
Roadtripgirl View Drop Down
Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roadtripgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 11:15pm
The problem I have is that when I open the phone screen there's no mention of messages anywhere. No icon etc. I noticed it didn't look as per the manual. Strange. I assumed perhaps that was for the full incontrol app thing and not standard.

Also my incontrol app on the phone (iPhone 4s) has never worked it just bombs out when I try to log in :-(
Roadtripgirl View Drop Down
Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roadtripgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 11:25pm
Never realisd thedynamic mic had a different (and older) system. I am. Ow feeling pissed off! Only had the car a week and not overly happy!
steviegtr52 View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steviegtr52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 7:50pm
I have a SE Tech on loan to my while my car is ready 66 reg. My phone is samsung galaxy s7 & everything works great. Did,nt even know it had the function till a txt message came through.
2016-66 HSE Dyn Lux. Carpathian. H.U.D.Pan, Tints. in control 10" screen.Gloss black wheels,Black anodized nut & lockers. Ivory leather,Umb.
2017 Multistrada 1200s with toys.
2009 MX5 sport tech
JennieLP View Drop Down
Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JennieLP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Trapdoor Trapdoor wrote:

I just use the 'hey Siri' function to read and reply to texts ... Only annoyance is when I have my iWatch on, that responds to the hey Siri and it doesn't come through the speakers. Not found a way round that one yet other than switching Siri off I the watch.

Have to say though, I'm pretty narked that JLR have put all the effort on the new info system in that damned soft top

Just going out to my "damned soft top" with my data sim card and phone to see if I can get all of the lovely InControl Apps and gadgets working LOL To be fair though it hasn't really stopped raining properly since I got it Ouch
MY17 Evoque Convertible HSE Dynamic Lux, Petrol, Auto, Farallon Black, Lunar Ice Interior, 508 Wheels, Lane assist - Early Departure Warning, HUD, Heated Steering Wheel, Spare Wheel & more
Evilmonkey View Drop Down
Evoque Star
Evoque Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evilmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by JennieLP JennieLP wrote:

Just going out to my "damned soft top" with my data sim card and phone to see if I can get all of the lovely InControl Apps and gadgets working LOL To be fair though it hasn't really stopped raining properly since I got it Ouch

Does this mean we have you and your car to blame for this weather?!

Good look with the set up!
MY15 | Pure Tech | Corris | Pano Roof | Spare | Privacy Glass
MY17 | Dynamic Auto | Waitomo | Black Pack | Adaptive Ds | Heated Steering | Power Tailgate | Roof Rails | Privacy Glass | Spare
JennieLP View Drop Down
Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JennieLP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Evilmonkey Evilmonkey wrote:

Originally posted by JennieLP JennieLP wrote:

Does this mean we have you and your car to blame for this weather?!

Good look with the set up!

So I think I have spent about 2 hours sitting in the car trying to figure out the various bits of InControl and I have the following to report. Land Rover Remote working. (Where's my car is it locked etc) Data Sim Card in and working. Apps working (can play music from Spotify, see my calendar etc), can search the web. But cannot get the Route Planner to work (says it cannot locate the car from the App) or the Live (whatever that is) or the voice control.
I have pinged an email to dealer but if anyone here can help, that would be great too - cheers
MY17 Evoque Convertible HSE Dynamic Lux, Petrol, Auto, Farallon Black, Lunar Ice Interior, 508 Wheels, Lane assist - Early Departure Warning, HUD, Heated Steering Wheel, Spare Wheel & more
Thewhiteball View Drop Down
Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thewhiteball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 2:17pm
Read this thread with a great deal of interest. My Evoque is a 21st Jan 2016 first registered SE Tech. Don't really use text's much. (not as much as text queen Mrs Whiteball) I run an I Phone 5s and just made sure I was switched to receive notifications on the phone, in the bluetooth settings. Got Mrs Whiteball to send me a text when we were out this morning and seems to work great. Little panel came up showing who had sent the text and the lady who tells me where to go read it out for me (the sat nav lady not Mrs Whiteball). 
Corris Grey MY 2016 Manual SE Tech Extra rear tints Panoramic Roof Rubber Mats Club Sticker.

"Where ever it is you are trying to get to in life, when you finally arrive, there you are"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic