FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Range Rover Evoque Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join. New members please look at the General Message area first.
You MUST post an introduction here and it must be approved to access the rest of the site.
Have a question about ordering? We have a dedicated Order Forum.

MY16 - How do I get Text Messaging working

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Griffter18 View Drop Down
Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffter18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MY16 - How do I get Text Messaging working
    Posted: 10 Oct 2015 at 11:16pm
According to the book the MY16 (all audio specs) has the ability to connect to a phone and advise that a text message has been received and read it.

Im using an iPhone 4s and on connecting the phone by Bluetooth or Wired and clicking on Messages it say "not available"

Anyone got this working or is this another item that is enabled but only works on higher specs a bit like the "easy Entry/Exit"

Edited by Griffter18 - 10 Oct 2015 at 11:16pm
MY16 SE Tech eD4 5dr 2WD. Santorini black with
Ebony Interior. 508 alloys

Sponsored Links

Angel View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 9:49am
ooo didn't know that.... ( mUst read the manual ) .... I tried the other day but couldn't see a command for it so left it and thought we didn't have it... but will try again and let you know.... was probably a cost extra as everything seems to be nowadays lol
MY16 HSE Dynamic auto,Firenze red, black pano roof, Privacy Glass, cirrus interior, Dynamic Mode, 20 inch wheels, gesture tailgate, InControl Premium, 360 surround camera , keyless entry + few extras
Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffter18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 9:56am
Extracts fro Manual:

TELEPHONE SYSTEM OVERVIEW

For information on connecting a Bluetooth® phone or device. See PAIRING AND CONNECTING A BLUETOOTH® PHONE OR DEVICE.

For information on phone compatibility, see TELEPHONE COMPATIBILITY.

NOTE:

Some phone system features will not operate unless the SD card supplied with the vehicle is inserted correctly into the SD card slot. See CONNECTING A MEDIA DEVICE.

1. Change device: Touch to search for a new, or change to another paired phone or device.

2. Messages: Touch to select the Messages inbox, or to create a new message.

3. Contacts: Touch to select the connected phone's Contacts list. Scroll through the list, or use the alphas (A-C, D-F, etc.) to find the contact more quickly.

4. Call lists: Touch to access the connected phone's Call lists.

5. Keypad: Touch to display the keypad.

6. Network signal strength icon: Indicates current location strength of signal.

7. Battery power level icon: Indicates the connected phone's remaining battery power. 

8. Status display: Displays the number or contact selected.

9. Keypad: Displays after Keypad is selected.

10. Phone name: Select to display the name of the connected phone.

11. Network: Displays the connected phone's network provider.

12. Missed calls: Indicates any missed calls.

13. New messages: Indicates that a new message/s has been received.

14. Settings: Touch to display the General settings menu. Select Phone for the following options:

Announce incoming messages:Turn on/off.

Refresh phonebook: Select to refresh the connected phone's Phonebook.

15. Touch to make or answer a call (green button), or touch to end a call (red button

RECEIVING TEXT MESSAGES

When a pop-up screen appears with an incoming text message, touch the Show button.

A screen will appear with the following options:

1. Reply: Touch to select a screen where a reply can be entered and sent.

NOTE:

This option is available only when the vehicle is stationary.

2. Template: Touch to select a list of replies (e.g., YesNoThank you!I'll be arriving a little late, etc.) Select the required reply.

3. Read Out: Touch for the message to be read out as an audio message.

Angel View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 9:58am
ok am going out to the car with my laptop to try now lol brb
MY16 HSE Dynamic auto,Firenze red, black pano roof, Privacy Glass, cirrus interior, Dynamic Mode, 20 inch wheels, gesture tailgate, InControl Premium, 360 surround camera , keyless entry + few extras
Nev View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 10:08am

SMS readers have been available in cars for
almost 10 years but very few phone support it.

Very much doubt Apple is compatible due to the restricted
why they implement Bluetooth.
Angel View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 10:12am
ok didn't work for me either... :( would have been handy but have pressed everything and is not working... we need to get someone else to check just in case I did anything wrong.... sorry griffter
Angel View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 10:14am
How true Nev..... Hubby has a lexus and just to work great with android phone emails texts etc... just changed over to apple and now he just gets calls .... it still reads the text for him but he can't respond like he used to and nothing else... so yes probably an apple thing... 

Edited by Angel - 11 Oct 2015 at 10:16am
Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffter18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 10:23am

TELEPHONE COMPATIBILITY

For a list of compatible Bluetooth® wireless technology devices, please access the Land Rover website at: www.landrover.com. In the Ownership section, refer to InControl and Bluetooth.

Ive searched the site but can't find the compatibility list, saying that a lot of the images used show iPhones.

Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffter18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 10:43am
Ok found the list. Its here and its pretty comprehensive : http://landrover50.nextgen-technology.net/?SelectedVehicleId=2066&Culture=en&CultureId=23&RegionId=1

Perhaps you have to have the phone connected via usb or the Incontrol Touch app running

Angel View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 10:54am
have just been on that chose my phone and all it says is about calls... I currently have the iPhone 5s and now got a 6s on order so probably work with that either.... 
no text mentioned anywhere :( something we may need to learn to live without.... 
Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffter18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 3:34pm
i tried a few other phones and none of them mentioned Txts either!

Angel View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 4:03pm
so did I ... nope I think you have to take it book is wrong again and we don't have it :)
Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffter18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 6:06pm
Even just tried removing usb and connecting directly to phone....no joy.
Bit disappointed in this considering the hype on the RR website.
May drop them a line

Nev View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 8:36pm
Phone issue, not a car issue.

Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffter18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 9:44pm
lol only a phone issue if someone can actually confirm they have got it working.
If so it would be useful to know what model of car & phone they are using and exactly what setup they went through.

Any volunteers?

Nev View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 10:03pm
Your phone needs to support the MAP bluetooth protocol, I would guess.

Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffter18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 10:18pm
According to Apple the iPhone 4 onwards support MAP.
Im on a 4s and Angel has tried a 5s

Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffter18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 10:49pm
Ok, finally got it working.

Connect phone to car via Bluetooth.
Once connected on the phone go to setting and then Bluetooth.
Look for the Evoque and on an iPhone there will be a blue i symbol to the right.
Click on this and a new menu will pop up.
Enable "show Notifications"

Now go back to car and the messages will work.

If you receive a message you will get a notification on screen and you can open the message and read or get the message read to you.

You can also respond to the message (haven't tried yet) if the car is not running (according to manual).

Happy days  :)

marton View Drop Down
Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 10:51pm
My samsung galaxy works and I receive text messages on display.
SE TECH.
Just paired with car and selected announce incoming text.
Spiderman View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict
RRS owner Honorary member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 11:01pm
Wow - thanks grifter18, up early in the mornng to try this!
MY16 Evoque Dynamic HSE Fuji White, Black Contrast Pano Roof, Privacy Glass, 20" 508 Alloys, Power Tailgate - 2 LR Umbrellas
Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffter18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 11:06pm
always happy to help my neighbourhood Spiderman lol

Just need to figure out easy entry/exit but I guess without memory seats its a no go, but then again why have a menu setting if something isn't available ? 

Angel View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 11:16pm
Grifter that is fantastic Clap well done going to do this tomorrow ;) thank you .... I had given up lol 

as for exit mode trust me if you haven't go you're not missing anything as i just squash people in the back.. ....lol..... but if you have you have to enable it on your dashboard settings.... :)
musher View Drop Down
Evoque Star
Evoque Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 11:20pm
Great news griffter this is my third Evoque and never even knew it had this function. Can't wait to try it out in the morning
Delivered MY16 HSE Dynamic Lux Yulong with Black contrast roof AD Privacy glass, heated steering wheel and heated rear seats, style 508's 20" wheels and everything else you get with the Lux pack
Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffter18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 11:22pm
Menu setting is there Angel but as yet it doesn't seem to do anything. It may be that you need memory seat or that my seat is low low/far back.

Sounds like a great feature to have available for when the mother in law is driving from the back seat lol

Angel View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 11:28pm
griffter try and set you seat as a short person would i.e. me.... didn't work for hubby either .... but did for my short legs..... squash yourself in and enable it and see if it moves :) 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic