FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Range Rover Evoque Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join. New members please look at the General Message area first.
You MUST post an introduction here and it must be approved to access the rest of the site.
Have a question about ordering? We have a dedicated Order Forum.

Haldex service with pictures.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Steve D View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Haldex service with pictures.
    Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 6:26pm
At 45K I thought I would do a bit of preventative maintenance and change my Haldex filter and oil. I bought the service kit from Bell engineering and it cost around 78 quid. Rather than fiddle about changing the filter in situ, I removed the haldex unit and got it on the bench to give it a thorough clean out. To remove it I first jacked the car up and put it on stands. To make things easier, I lowered the exhaust at the rear and disconnected the propshaft. To remove the rear propshaft end, I needed to lower the front of the rear axle and that involved supporting the axle with a jack and removing the front carrier bracket - 4x10mm headed bottom bolts and the two 18mm headed mounting bolts. Then it was simply a matter of disconnecting the electrical connection and removing the 4 bolts that connect the haldex unit to the axle housing. This what is left when the unit is removed.

This is the haldex unit on the bench. Look at the muck that was present on it!

I removed the paper filter and replaced it as well as the plastic pump filter. Look at the state of them! The muck seemed to be a type of gel.
Old and new filters.

Pump filter before cleaning.

And after cleaning with compressed air.

The housing had a bit of muck in it too.

Old oil and new oil.

Reassembled it, filled with new oil, ignition on for 5 minutes, topped up then withdrew 70ml. Job done.
Now, the car drives......no different to before. Well, It is preventative. Here's to the next 45,000 miles!

Next job on the list will be to change all the transmission lubricants - auto box, front and rear axles and transfer box.

Manly Santorini black SD4A Dynamic Lux with beastly ebony leather, brutish shadow chromes and privacy glass. Grrrrr. A real mans Evoque!
Sponsored Links

Doink View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 6:30pm
Right we all know where to go for our haldex service, how you fixed for next saturday week?
MY16 HSE Dynamic Lux,waitomo grey,ivory/lunar,manual,freeview tv,360 camera,blind spot monitor,traffic sign recognition,driver condition,pano,gesture,park assist,autonomous braking,LED headlights,AHBA
Steve D View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 6:43pm
Go to www.bellengineering.co.uk. I do not plan to be doing one again! I bought the kit from them and they do a drive in service for 180 quid all in and fit it while you go to a local pub for lunch and a stroll. If they were not so far from me I would have gone there myself!
Manly Santorini black SD4A Dynamic Lux with beastly ebony leather, brutish shadow chromes and privacy glass. Grrrrr. A real mans Evoque!
Spiderman View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
RRS Owner - Honorary member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 6:47pm
Im sure Beast could do this In her lunch break.
MY16 Evoque Dynamic HSE Fuji White, Black Contrast Pano Roof, Privacy Glass, 20" 508 Alloys, Power Tailgate - 2 LR Umbrellas
Doink View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 6:50pm
180 doesn't sound bad if the kit is already £80, bet they don't take it right off like you though for 100 quid
MY16 HSE Dynamic Lux,waitomo grey,ivory/lunar,manual,freeview tv,360 camera,blind spot monitor,traffic sign recognition,driver condition,pano,gesture,park assist,autonomous braking,LED headlights,AHBA
the beast View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the beast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Spiderman Spiderman wrote:

Im sure Beast could do this In her lunch break.

Oh yes - easy peasy
2016 2.0 TD4 SE Tech 5dr Firenze Red, Black pano roof, with add ons!
Evoque Owners Club Stickers www.beastvog.co.uk
CoolBlueWhyte View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoolBlueWhyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 7:28pm

Excellent job Steve, thanks for the great write up.

How long did it take?
Kind Regards
David

Pure Tech Manual TD4 2013, Santorini Black, Style Pack, 19" Style 4, Signature Lights, Panoramic & Roof Rails, Aeroflip, Illuminated Sills, Sports Pedals, 5yr Service, Mats & Flaps
Steve D View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 7:45pm
I reckon it took me about 4 hours but at least an hour of that was spent on jacking it up (front and rear), supporting it on stands, working out how to remove the exhaust finishers/trim so that I could lower the exhaust as it is a Dynamic version and getting the rear prop released as it was stuck in the recess when the bolts were removed - I thought there may have been something else holding it! As I said, I could not get the rear of the prop off when it was unbolted (it is in a recess flange), there just was not enough movement to pull it out of the flange - I was having trouble levering it back and out of the flange before I eventually worked out that by lowering the nose of the diff the prop just fell out! I took my time as there was no rush. Oh, and you need to turn the prop to get at all 6 bolts. You cannot do that with the ignition off - it goes into park and the handbrake comes on! I got over that by leaving the engine running and the car in neutral. There is probably a sequence to get round that though, I just could not work it out at the time. On a ramp, knowing what I know now, I reckon I could comfortably do it in two hours. Someone doing it on a regular basis would probably do it in a lot less time than that.

You cannot get the pump out to clean the plastic mesh filter without removing the flange and it would be a real fiddle to replace the paper filter with the haldex on the car plus, as you can see from the pictures, there is still plenty of muck in the casing so personally, I would not bother with doing it any other way although I suppose a new filter and a partial change of oil would be better than nothing.
PhilSkill View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilSkill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 9:41pm
Thanks for posting that Steve, very interesting, the main reason for a Haldex pump failure will be the filters clogging.

Bell Engineering aren't so far for me, so think I might choose that option rather than do myself, unless my local centre do it for a similar price, will ask at the next service as I've now hit 50000. 
MY12 Fuji Manual SD4 Dynamic, with Remote Tailgate Closer Module
Yoda View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 10:41pm
Very interesting article Steve. Will be of great use to the more hands on amongst us
2018 firenze red with black roof Velar R Dynamic club stickers front and back. Prior to that 2 Evoques
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoolBlueWhyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 9:21am

What mileage or frequency does JLR recommend this Haldex service?
Kind Regards
David

Pure Tech Manual TD4 2013, Santorini Black, Style Pack, 19" Style 4, Signature Lights, Panoramic & Roof Rails, Aeroflip, Illuminated Sills, Sports Pedals, 5yr Service, Mats & Flaps
Steve D View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 2:07pm
I think it may be every 10 years. This service schedule does not actually specify the haldex, but it does specify 'change transmission fluid and filter'.
https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/content/pdf/view?file=/topix/service/procedure/157104/212849?ignore-mobile=1
There is no mention of it at all in a Freelander 2 service schedule and 2009 models onward use the same Haldex.
I think it is every 3 or 4 years or 20,000 miles on a VW with the same Haldex.
Such a difference between Manufacturers.
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoolBlueWhyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 5:45pm

Thanks Steve, I saw that when searching before asking but expected to see the Haldex pump, filter and oil to be named specifically, silly me!

The service sheet is very interesting, I don’t think my Stealer has ever removed the road wheels and JLR can’t spell tyre!
Replace all the brake hoses at 6 years, now that is a surprise.

This is a really good post Steve, thanks for addressing the issue:-)
Kind Regards
David

arne higgins View Drop Down
Evoque Groupie
Evoque Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arne higgins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 11:30am
Great writeup Steve, thanks alot Smile Smile 

I read in the owner manual that the car can be put in neutral (parking brake off) with ignition ON and leaving the key in the car during towing procedure. Thus it can automatically engage the parking brake after a short while.   

On my way down to my garage to get rid of the muck, and try the procedure. 

"You cannot get the pump out to clean the plastic mesh filter without removing the flange", 

So you separate the flange from the unit, does anyone know the torque value when the flange goes back on ?  

(have tried searching the 5000 page manual, dont have the time for extensive research now)

TD4 Pure Auto - Fuji white, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Black interior- Future: Stop open door signal-Semi conversion Pure to dynamic-HP-Big brakes-DIY stuff-Be a good contributor to the community
Steve D View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 1:39pm
I just did mine up 'tight' with a drop of threadlock on the threads. It’s not like a diff flange with a crush washer or a bearing requiring pre-load etc.
arne higgins View Drop Down
Evoque Groupie
Evoque Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arne higgins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 2:02pm
Thanks
TD4 Pure Auto - Fuji white, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Black interior- Future: Stop open door signal-Semi conversion Pure to dynamic-HP-Big brakes-DIY stuff-Be a good contributor to the community
roofchop View Drop Down
Evoque Groupie
Evoque Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roofchop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 11:56pm
Hey Steve, nice work!

What sort of driving has you Evoque done? (much off road/snow etc)

My 2012 SD4 Pure Tech has 55k miles on it and never been off road, so the Haldex unit has never been properly used under load etc.

What do you (all) think, leave it and not worry, find some loose hilly stuff and give it a workout?

Maybe just do an on car oil/filter change?

I intend to do as much maintenance as possible. (you think UK dealers are expensive...Try Australia!)

Thanks
Dave
2012 Fuji White SD4 Coupe Pure, Tech Pack, Black roof/Mirrors 20 s
Steve D View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 8:03am
I once went across a grassy car park area.....

Seriously though, the Haldex is used constantly on the road - it’s not just for off-road.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic