FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Range Rover Evoque Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join. New members please look at the General Message area first.
You MUST post an introduction here and it must be approved to access the rest of the site.
Have a question about ordering? We have a dedicated Order Forum.

front parking sensors - am i being stupid..?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mikerhodes1 View Drop Down
Evoque Groupie
Evoque Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikerhodes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: front parking sensors - am i being stupid..?
    Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 9:25am
Ok so i've read the manual, and searched this and other forums but need some clarification please. I have MY17 without the 360 cameras, so bog std front parking sensors. When I start in the morning the parking sensors activate all fine. 

When i arrive home and pull up to the garage door slowly, under the 16km/h the sensors don't automatically come on and I have to manually enable them - is this normal behaviour, I would have expected them to activate when travelling at under a certain speed?

The same happens when in slow moving traffic, the sensors don't automatically kick in. 

I've read about a setting somewhere so change the behaviour but the only setting I have is if I want the tram lines or not - I can't find anything about them coming on automatically or not.

thanks

Mike
2.0 TD4 HSE Dynamic 5dr Auto, Corris Grey, Black Pack, adaptive dynamic, keyless, gesture boot
Sponsored Links

majeric View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote majeric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 10:37am
IIRC, the front sensors only activate when you first put the car in reverse, then into drive. (or if you manually activate them). 
Annoying i know! Esp if you dont have to reverse first to get onto your drive way. 
MY16.5 Dynamic HSE | Loire Blue | Fuji White Pano Roof + Wing Mirrors | Privacy Glass | 508s | Power Tailgate | Adaptive Dynamics | Active Driveline | 360 Cameras | Heated Steering Wheel | Spare Wheel
Ewok View Drop Down
Evoque Star
Evoque Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ewok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 10:38am
The front sensors only activate when either reverse gear is engaged, on the presumption that you may well be manoeuvring back and forth, or by pressing the relevant button on the dash board.

That is the same on any vehicle I have or have had with front parking sensors
MY16 Dynamic Auto, Corris Grey, Black Pack with assorted trimmings.
BMW Z4
Alfa Brera (still turns heads more than any car I've owned)
ghosty View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghosty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 10:46am
hi mike, thats sounds like the norm. if you want them activated at low speed you can either manually press the parking sensor button to manually activate. or if you keep the parking sensor button pressed for a certain number of seconds i think this leaves them on permanently until you repeat the same. although if on permanently this may get a bit tiresome when stuck in glorious traffic all the time..
MY16 SE Tech TD4 Loire Lunar/Ivory, 706's, privacy, rev camera, power tail, heated steering and rear, spare wheel
the beast View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the beast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 11:07am
I have mine turned off all the time - I can't park with them on as the constant high pitch beeping makes me panic and be more likely to hit something.  Quiet and calm and I can park in any space with no issue Wink
2016 2.0 TD4 SE Tech 5dr Firenze Red, Black pano roof, with add ons!
Evoque Owners Club Stickers www.beastvog.co.uk
Evoque Groupie
Evoque Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikerhodes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 11:50am
thanks all - glad it wasn't something I had missed!
2.0 TD4 HSE Dynamic 5dr Auto, Corris Grey, Black Pack, adaptive dynamic, keyless, gesture boot
Reecey View Drop Down
Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reecey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Ewok Ewok wrote:

The front sensors only activate when either reverse gear is engaged, on the presumption that you may well be manoeuvring back and forth, or by pressing the relevant button on the dash board.

That is the same on any vehicle I have or have had with front parking sensors

The font sensors on my Mitsubishi Outlander work all the time, not just in reverse.

Handy so I don't hit the little wall when I pull into my drive.
2016 TD4 SE Tech, Corris Grey, Parking Camera, Mud Guards, Pano Roof, Power Tailgate,Heated Steering Wheel, Privacy Glass. (That's all I could afford)
spookone View Drop Down
Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spookone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 2:42pm
Believe it or not when mine was delivered the driver told me it didn't have front sensors, I asked what the sensors on the front bumper were for and he said they were used for the lane departure warning???
Evoque SE in Corris Grey : ETA March 2016
Reecey View Drop Down
Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reecey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 2:54pm
How does the lane departure warning work then? Anybody know? Not that it is much use I find.
2016 TD4 SE Tech, Corris Grey, Parking Camera, Mud Guards, Pano Roof, Power Tailgate,Heated Steering Wheel, Privacy Glass. (That's all I could afford)
XZ4 View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XZ4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 2:57pm
I think it picks up the white lines on the road and vibrates the steering wheel.  Only slightly and not that noticeable.  Also the lines on the picture on the dash change to red I think.   You would have to look hard to see them though. 
MY16 HSE Dynamic Lux, Auto, Indus Silver with Black leather, Black Design Pack, Black roof, Head up display, InControl pro pack, Privacy Glass, 22" Overfinch Alloys.
majeric View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote majeric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 2:58pm
In the speedo cluster - you should see a green car with a line either side. 
behind the rear view mirror are a couple of cameras. 
They monitor the white lines on the road. 
If you sway beyond the lines - the steering wheel vibrates. 
the car turns red. 
If you are changing lanes and dont indicator, the steering will vibrate. 

MY16.5 Dynamic HSE | Loire Blue | Fuji White Pano Roof + Wing Mirrors | Privacy Glass | 508s | Power Tailgate | Adaptive Dynamics | Active Driveline | 360 Cameras | Heated Steering Wheel | Spare Wheel
walterwindbag View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walterwindbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 2:59pm
Lane warning works from camera behind rear view mirror.
Walt
Auto SE Tech Coupe 180 BHP, Aintree Green, pano roof, Almond/Espresso trim, 706s, Advanced Driveline, privacy glass, spare wheel, Auto High Beam, Rearview Camera, 5 yrs service pack.
Reecey View Drop Down
Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reecey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 3:00pm
Yep I know that bit. But what device is it using to identify the white lines?
Reecey View Drop Down
Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reecey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 3:01pm
Oops sorry Walt and Majericdidn't notice your posts. Thanks for that.

Edited by Reecey - 07 Oct 2016 at 3:03pm
Evoque Groupie
Evoque Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikerhodes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 11:21am
Ok so on page 219 of the manual it says ;The parking aid system can be set to activate automatically when the vehica's speed falls below 16km/h. blah blah blah

To enable auto on feature, no the touch screen select, the settings icon to access the parking aid settings pop up menu. Select Automatic PDC ON.

the only option I have in the sections is trajectory lines or or off..  Its incrontrol pro MY 17 without 360 cameras, I'd be grateful if somebody with a similar car could check to see if they have the same options.

thanks

Mike
jimland74 View Drop Down
Evoque Groupie
Evoque Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimland74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 7:51pm
If you have an automatic and move the gearchange dial from D to N, the parking sensors come on. Moving back to D or pressing the parking sensor switch, deactivates them
Trapdoor View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapdoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 8:43pm
 [QUOTE=mikerhodes1] Ok so on page 219 of the manual it says ;The parking aid system can be set to activate automatically when the vehica's speed falls below 16km/h. blah blah blah
To enable auto on feature, no the touch screen select, the settings icon to access the parking aid settings pop up menu. Select Automatic PDC ON.
the only option I have in the sections is trajectory lines or or off..  Its incrontrol pro MY 17 without 360 cameras, I'd be grateful if somebody with a similar car could check to see if they have the same options.
thanks
Mike
[/QUO TE] 

I THINK they changed it in a software update.

When I had mine, it worked 'correctly' and I had the setting (plus a setting that switched the cameras on for FRONT PDC automatically). Now it doesn't come on automatically, has to be switched on and I have to manually tap the camera button too, which it a real PITA. It USED to work, now it doesn't.

This is after the NGI 2.5 update was applied which was a 'campaign' under TOPIx.

Not terribly happy about this as I really liked the way it used to work, it was much better than the MY13
Had: 2013 Prestige Auto Lux
Have: MY17 Autobiography in Waitomo Grey with Ivory/Espresso interior, HUD, Adaptive Cruise, Adaptive Dynamics, Dynamic Driveline, Wading, Massage Seats. Delivered 17/09/16
Spiderman View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict
RRS owner Honorary member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 10:29pm
Never been able to activate it to come on automatically on MY16.
MY16 Evoque Dynamic HSE Fuji White, Black Contrast Pano Roof, Privacy Glass, 20" 508 Alloys, Power Tailgate - 2 LR Umbrellas
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic