FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Range Rover Evoque Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join. New members please look at the General Message area first.
You MUST post an introduction here and it must be approved to access the rest of the site.
Have a question about ordering? We have a dedicated Order Forum.

Football Idle Chit Chat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>
Author
Doogi View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 10:37am
Please see the below facts:
I have always found it amusing the claim by English fans and commentators that a World Cup win would see football “coming home”.

If it were truly “coming home” it would be to Scotland and not to England it would be returning, for it was the Scots who truly devised the modern version of the game as we know it. Without our civilising intervention, what England might have given the world was just another version of rugby.

When the so-called Football Association’ was formed at the instigation of a young solicitor from Hull, Ebenezer Morley, what he proposed would be seen now as a basis for rugby with extra violence.

Morley’s draft laws provided that a player could not only run with the ball in his hands but that opponents could stop him by charging, holding, tripping or hacking. A more civilised code did emerge but the English game was still mainly a question of head-down dribbling.

It was the Scots who had the notion of artfully distributing the ball among the players. It started with young men, from Perthshire and the Highlands mainly, who gathered at Queen’s Park in Glasgow in 1867. They obtained a copy of the FA laws and amended them to conform with an almost scientific blend of dribbling and passing.

When they invented passing, these men had invented football. Far from being an English game, it was one that was conceived to confound the English because the Scots, being generally smaller than their opponents in football’s oldest international rivalry, could hardly afford to take them on physically.

As Scots we can truly feel pride some pride this week as England take on Croatia in the World Cup semi-final. To have the English borrowing our history is quite a compliment, the only downside being that we are not in Russia to share in the glory of our invention of the ‘beautiful game’.
MY2018 Carpathian Grey/black pack, SD4 HSE Dynamic, 240bhp, pano roof, privacy, In Control Touch Pro, 20 inch alloys.
2016 MX5 Icon, also grey.
2015 Fiat 500C, grey as well. (with a red roof!)
Sponsored Links

Spiderman View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
RRS Owner - Honorary member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 11:36am
Eh ??
MY16 Evoque Dynamic HSE Fuji White, Black Contrast Pano Roof, Privacy Glass, 20" 508 Alloys, Power Tailgate - 2 LR Umbrellas
Doogi View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 12:25pm
It was an article in the newspaper, thought I'd post it to see all the comments and all I get is "EH?"
MY2018 Carpathian Grey/black pack, SD4 HSE Dynamic, 240bhp, pano roof, privacy, In Control Touch Pro, 20 inch alloys.
Spiderman View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 12:51pm
At least im listening to ya Doogi
MY16 Evoque Dynamic HSE Fuji White, Black Contrast Pano Roof, Privacy Glass, 20" 508 Alloys, Power Tailgate - 2 LR Umbrellas
the beast View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the beast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 12:58pm
I read it.....honest LOL
2016 2.0 TD4 SE Tech 5dr Firenze Red, Black pano roof, with add ons!
Evoque Owners Club Stickers www.beastvog.co.uk
Spiderman View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 12:59pm
The Scots couldnt even spell the word let alone play it ....
Although I loved watching them when they were good.....
Ally McLeods Army
Archie Gemmill
Lou Macari
Bruce Ricoh
John Robertson
King Kenny Dalglish

Great side that still never won the World Cup
Donna View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 4:43pm
But we know we’re sh*te

Other half took my car and left to go to England to watch game lol
15 Plate Dynamic 2.2 Auto. Yulong White Pano/Contrast Roof. Tinted Windows. Black Pack and Sidesteps, Aeroflip ,Illuminated sills, Memory Seats. Rubber Mats and Umbrella!
Maffy View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 4:56pm
Are you sure he's coming back over the border????
Doogi View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 5:22pm
Are they not showing it north of the border then Donna?
Maffy View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 5:34pm
No TV's up north.Hug & it's all in gaelic.
Spiderman View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 5:44pm
Electricity has been installed recently but tv signals are still weak..
Maffy View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 5:58pm
Still showing "Muffin the Mule" in Black & White.!!!
XZ4 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XZ4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 6:09pm
That's illegal Maffy Wink 
XC90 but only as a stopgap

Tyberius View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyberius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Spiderman Spiderman wrote:

Apparently you dont need a visa to fly into Moscow as long as you have a match ticket.
My son is in Australia and wants to fly to Moscow if we get to final and wants me to meet him there.
Got my flight but No tickets on sale on fa website so looks like Im watching it in Cornwall if we win the next game

Well spidey looks like you will be able settle
down with a clotted cream scone in tranquility
Vader View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 10:03pm
So close yet so far, hope I haven’t got to wait another 28 years for a World Cup semi final
Corris Grey SE Tech 5door 9speed auto with pan roof, privacy, powered tail gate, spare, reverse camera. Lunar with Ivory.1976 Triumph Stag Triumph Daytona 955i.
Spiderman View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 1:13am
Thanks Tyberius.
Left Bham dejected and arrived in Somerset just after 12.30 still dejected.
Will continue down to Cornwall in the morning hopefully in a better mood.
But I was one of the few that didnt get too carried away as we hadnt really played anyone until we met Sweden.
Passed that test but croatia were just too good for us.
Dominated first half and missed the chances to take us to the final along one of the easiest paths we will ever follow.
But it wasnt to be......
Dont know whats worse, being a villa fan or an England fan.....seem to have the same sort of disappointment.
Although we have no world class players as Gareth Southgate admitted....we did play as a team and credit to Southgate for that. Probably the best England style of play Ive seen for many years and a young side with potential.....but will we ever be so lucky again to get as far as we did this time.....I dont think so.....it was the best chance I think I will ever see in my lifetime ...... Football wont be coming home...
But well done boys for trying....
Doogi View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 7:26am
They think its al over....
....it is now!
Maffy View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 7:32am
Now can we please get back to normal !!!!!

Over hyped, over praised, over built up event.

now to turn my sights on that grass fire at Wimbledon.  Wink
Spiderman View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 8:44am
I am as interested in Wimbledon as the world cup to be honest.
Been for the last 3 out of 5 years and been lucky enough to have been allotted tickets for centre court each time.
When the sun is shining there is no place better to be.........
SERVICE - QUIET PLEASE!

Thats where you would struggle Maffy
Maffy View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 1:31pm
Never, I know when to be quiet- but tennis just deserves NOISE!!!!
Maffy View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 1:51pm
You'll be telling me you like cricket next!!!!!!  Wink
Spiderman View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 1:53pm
Nope, No Likey
Vader View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 5:19pm
Can’t stand Tennis. Cricket is boring too. I like motorbike racing and classic car racing, just been to Le Mans Classic 24 hour. Got Drunk in the sun watching England beat Sweden.
Corris Grey SE Tech 5door 9speed auto with pan roof, privacy, powered tail gate, spare, reverse camera. Lunar with Ivory.1976 Triumph Stag Triumph Daytona 955i.
Maffy View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 5:22pm
Glad we have some common ground re these sports.

Vader, Friend of mine was at the le Mans 24 hour in his purple air cooled Porche-REALLY BIG BLOKE with a beard, not that you would have seen him of course, then then if you saw him you wouldn't forget either --motor sport is wonderful Thumbs Up
Sorcerer View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sorcerer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Vader Vader wrote:

I like motorbike racing .........
Me too....off to Silverstone again next month for Moto GP. Tongue

Now.RR Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux 9 speed auto Firenze Pano roof.
Previously.RR Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux manual Firenze. Pano roof.
First-RR Evoque Dynamic SD4 lux auto Santorini black. Pano roof.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>
  Share Topic