FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Range Rover Evoque Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join. New members please look at the General Message area first.
You MUST post an introduction here and it must be approved to access the rest of the site.
Have a question about ordering? We have a dedicated Order Forum.

door not unlocking with key fob

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
OMA68 View Drop Down
Evoque Groupie
Evoque Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OMA68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: door not unlocking with key fob
    Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 11:15am
Good day to all.

My RR TD4 2014 had been working perfectly well until yesterday. Then, the front left door (driver side in European versions) simply would not unlock. All other 4 doors unlock fine. I have tried all basic recommendations to ensure key works fine (open and close all doors and bonnet, turn engine on and off, and I even tried the procedure to reset the key pressing the key buttons in a certain order) with no joy at all.

A point to note is that all doors get locked properly, but after a couple of seconds the car horn gives two beeps, just as when you leave a door open, but there is none. Also, the car battery is aged (have not replaced it since new) so I thought it could have to do with a low current, but the engine starts fine.

Any ideas as to what might be the cause of this fault are most welcome.

Many thanks.
Sponsored Links

mickeyf View Drop Down
Evoque Groupie
Evoque Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeyf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 12:41pm
Hi,

This is a common problem. It's most likely the door lock unit, which also contains the switch for the alarm. Unit has to be replaced, I was lucky and got mine replaced under guarantee. Quite easy to DIY, remove the door card and the lock removal is quite simple.
2013 Pure TD Auto Fuji White
OMA68 View Drop Down
Evoque Groupie
Evoque Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OMA68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 2:35pm
Thanks MickeyF, I am almost sure you are correct, as when I was trying to get the door open I tried the hidden key in the control unit and it didn't turn.

Out of curiosity (I know yours was under guarantee cover): I read elsewhere this unit (LR011207 FQJ000214 FQJ000215, Door Motor Lock Solenoid Relay Mechanism Actuator Catch) costs around 120 USD. Is that the cost in the UK? Sounds a bit too expensive.

Cheers.
XZ4 View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XZ4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 3:00pm
A few on Uk eBay

Workwide shipping
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Left-Door-Lock-Latch-Mechanism-For-Jaguar-XF-Land-Rover-Freelander-Evoque-/152501730626?hash=item2381cfbd42:g:gBwAAOSwYS9ZX5fA

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FRONT-LEFT-DOOR-LOCK-LATCH-MECHANISM-FOR-JAGUAR-XF-LAND-ROVER-FREELANDER-EVOQUE-/322582448021?hash=item4b1b698795:g:rNsAAOSw4YJZX5sH

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Left-Door-Lock-Latch-Mechanism-For-Jaguar-XF-Land-Rover-Freelander-Evoque-/222466429046?hash=item33cc085076:g:02UAAOSwIhxZX5rG
MY16 HSE Dynamic Lux, Auto, Indus Silver with Black leather, Black Design Pack, Black roof, Head up display, InControl pro pack, Privacy Glass, 22" Overfinch Alloys.
OMA68 View Drop Down
Evoque Groupie
Evoque Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OMA68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 3:45pm

Thanks for the tip and links XZ4,
Will definitely buy online as the price is less than half what the official dealer charges in the Canaries.
Cheers!
O
XZ4 View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XZ4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 6:07pm
Love the Canaries.   Heading to Tenerife week after next Thumbs Up

MY16 HSE Dynamic Lux, Auto, Indus Silver with Black leather, Black Design Pack, Black roof, Head up display, InControl pro pack, Privacy Glass, 22" Overfinch Alloys.
steviegtr52 View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steviegtr52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by XZ4 XZ4 wrote:

Have a large Bacardi for us lot stuck here.TongueTongueTongue
2016-66 HSE Dyn Lux. Carpathian. H.U.D.Pan, Tints. in control 10" screen.Gloss black wheels,Black anodized nut & lockers. Ivory leather,Umb.
2017 Multistrada 1200s with toys.
2009 MX5 sport tech
XZ4 View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XZ4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 7:44am
Originally posted by steviegtr52 steviegtr52 wrote:

Originally posted by XZ4 XZ4 wrote:

Have a large Bacardi for us lot stuck here.TongueTongueTongue

Thumbs Up
OMA68 View Drop Down
Evoque Groupie
Evoque Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OMA68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 12:56pm
With regards to the fault that made me post in here, and for info of those who quite gently provided very useful detail, I actually took off the door card and removed the lock to get to the part number (6W8A-21813-AD). I also opened the lock mechanism itself, but all gears and levers appeared in good condition. Difficult to tell is the two small electric engines inside are or not working properly.

When I replaced the door card again, I tested the key fob with no joy: the cable with the round tip that opens the door latch cannot travel freely all the way into the rod. If I do push/pull it manually then the door does lock/unlock, which kind of proves mickey´s and XZ´s diagnostic. My bet is the engine is the culprit.. 

I read elsewhere that in the US one can buy a similar engine at RadioShack, but not in the Canaries, and my soldering abilities are far from decent, so looks like my best option is a new locking mechanism.

Finally, when the fault first occurred I tried opening the door with the manual key and it did not open. When the door had no card on, I could not see the cable coming from the upper/outside lever moving at all. I could not see any broken, missing or non assembled parts. The key cylinder does turn, but nothing else moves. 

Has anyone experienced this other issue before?

Thanks again!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic