FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Range Rover Evoque Owners Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join. New members please look at the General Message area first.
You MUST post an introduction here and it must be approved to access the rest of the site.
Have a question about ordering? We have a dedicated Order Forum.

Banging While Engine Off

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
OWAIN55 View Drop Down
Evoque Groupie
Evoque Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OWAIN55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Banging While Engine Off
    Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 9:25am
Hi All,

I mentioned this in my introduction post but thought I'd ask the question in the correct area also.

Has anyone experienced the same noise as this? Its a 2015 2.2 Automatic.

Clip 1

Clip 2

It happens when the engine is off. Only the ignition has been turned on i.e. pressing the start/stop button without pressing the brake and the times it has occurred was when it was hot [for the uk] 25+ degrees. The car had not been run for several hours before the noise. It is of course intermittent and is not generating fault codes.

It is in the dealers at the moment and I also asked them to investigate a boost whistling noise while on boost and what sounded like a quiet atmospheric dump valve when boost is released.

They came back to me yesterday and said it needs a new turbo (again, it was replaced approx. 18 months ago too) so we're waiting on LR to confirm the warranty claim.

As I thought about it more after the call, I don’t think the clips and the turbo can be related. I believe them to be separate issues. The car wasn’t running, hadn’t been run it was just the ignition on so the turbo wouldn’t have been rotating. I called the service assistant to let them know my thoughts and she was going to check with the technician and get back to me.

Any one have any ideas?

Sponsored Links

Reecey View Drop Down
Evoque Senior
Evoque Senior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reecey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 5:15pm
Bit disappointed when I read the header. Thought it was about something altogether differentSmile
2016 TD4 SE Tech, Corris Grey, Parking Camera, Mud Guards, Pano Roof, Power Tailgate,Heated Steering Wheel, Privacy Glass. (That's all I could afford)
OWAIN55 View Drop Down
Evoque Groupie
Evoque Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OWAIN55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 10:04am
Its normally my wife who is disappointed when it comes to that subject
steviegtr52 View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steviegtr52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 6:09pm
It sounds like a selonoid valve switching on & off. Wonder if it the turbo waste gate unit which i believe is electronically operated & could be faulty. I am just applying logic here & linking it to the turbo problem as it sounds like it may be overboosting. The whistling sound from your turbo is what all the cars did when i was doing suprchipping cars & upping the boost to silly levels.
2016-66 HSE Dyn Lux. Carpathian. H.U.D.Pan, Tints. in control 10" screen.Gloss black wheels,Black anodized nut & lockers. Ivory leather,Umb.
2017 Multistrada 1200s with toys.
2009 MX5 sport tech
OWAIN55 View Drop Down
Evoque Groupie
Evoque Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OWAIN55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 5:02pm
Thanks Steviegtr52. Sounds a logical conclusion. I will query with the garage when I eventually speak to them.

I've rung 4 times in the last 2 days asking for an update and each time I get told someone will call me back.
OWAIN55 View Drop Down
Evoque Groupie
Evoque Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OWAIN55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 11:02am
Steviegtr52, you're on the money! I finally spoke to a service assistant and it is caused by a faulty actuator - that's all the detail I received so presumably it is electronically operated and the noise was the wastegate opening and closing.
OWAIN55 View Drop Down
Evoque Groupie
Evoque Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OWAIN55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 3:13pm
The saga continues...

Received an update call from Listers today - they have replaced the turbo but there is still a noise, albeit slightly quieter.

They've raised a TA (?) query with Land Rover so its now over to their Engineers apparently.
steviegtr52 View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steviegtr52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 5:29pm
Oh dear, lets just hope its nothing too bad.
2016-66 HSE Dyn Lux. Carpathian. H.U.D.Pan, Tints. in control 10" screen.Gloss black wheels,Black anodized nut & lockers. Ivory leather,Umb.
2017 Multistrada 1200s with toys.
2009 MX5 sport tech
OWAIN55 View Drop Down
Evoque Groupie
Evoque Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OWAIN55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 1:53pm
10 weeks to the day and we're getting it back!

I don't know what they have done to finally fix the car but apparently its back to normal and its being returned to my wife this afternoon. I will ask for a breakdown of the work undertaken.

We have had a Range Rover Vogue SE for the last 7 weeks so I'm a little disappointed to be sending that back
the beast View Drop Down
Evoque Addict
Evoque Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the beast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 2:09pm
I bet - didn’t want to hand the higher spec Evoque back when mine was in for 6 weeks!! Still great to be getting your own one back
2016 2.0 TD4 SE Tech 5dr Firenze Red, Black pano roof, with add ons!
Evoque Owners Club Stickers www.beastvog.co.uk
OWAIN55 View Drop Down
Evoque Groupie
Evoque Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OWAIN55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 4:16pm
Its developed another problem, my wife heard it yesterday afternoon (the day we got it back) but has got worse today. From the description it sounds like binding brakes. I'll try it later to see if I can diagnose. Back to the dealer...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic